family guy- the film? (1 Viewer)

i've watched the first 3 series' in the past few weeks, and while it's a bit hit and miss from time to time there's way more good than bad in it. The evil monkey is genius. The sad thing is the monkey wasn't always evil.

nlgbbbblth said:
really?
I love it
what don't you like about it?
Well, first of all, almost everything in Family Guy is derivative of other, better shows. And not just THE SIMPSONS, but PINKY AND THE BRAIN (Stewie, the little big-headed megalomaniac, is a direct ripoff of the Brain).

Second, the show uses references as a substitute for humour -- which is to say that they'll often refer to some '80s TV show or commercial and expect us to laugh just because we get the reference; there's rarely any satirical point being made about the shows it's supposedly "parodying."

Third, the show doesn't have much variety in its gags; the basics - sexual innuendoes, parodies, famous historical figures acting inappropriately - are repeated from show to show.

Fourth, the animation is truly terrible; the characters are inexpressive, stiff and immobile. Any episode of The Simpsons or King of the Hill has better animated "acting." And King of the Hill, often denigrated as the unfunny link in Fox's chain of animated shows, actually has character comedy, which means that it is funny even if you don't get a bunch of cheesy '80s references -- King of the Hill or the early Simpsons are genuuinely funny; Family Guy is fake funny, getting laughs by cheap means.

I hate this show

rothko said:
Good point

oh sorry sir. did you want me to go through your arguement?
i like it, i think its funny, i like the referencing and i think the animated acting is fine.
its almost impossible to create a cartoon for a more mature age group without it being compared to the simpsons or whatever fox have produced since, so thats no surprise.
i also think family guy humour is slightly more interesting than the humour in the simpsons, and i don't think FG cares about the 'lesson' or a happy ending like the simpsons does.
also 'pinky' was a fairly two dimensional character, while Stewy has developed over the series into the brilliantly written little terror he is now.

its not that some of the quotes arent funny

ive laughed at the show before

i just cant bear to watch under normal circumstances , so many ugly comparisons

non-normal circumstances include the kids wanting to watch it etc...
i'd rather family guy than the jap shite they watch on digital any day

This guy must be loads of fun at parties.

rothko said:
Well, first of all, almost everything in Family Guy is derivative of other, better shows. And not just THE SIMPSONS, but PINKY AND THE BRAIN (Stewie, the little big-headed megalomaniac, is a direct ripoff of the Brain).

Second, the show uses references as a substitute for humour -- which is to say that they'll often refer to some '80s TV show or commercial and expect us to laugh just because we get the reference; there's rarely any satirical point being made about the shows it's supposedly "parodying."

Third, the show doesn't have much variety in its gags; the basics - sexual innuendoes, parodies, famous historical figures acting inappropriately - are repeated from show to show.

Fourth, the animation is truly terrible; the characters are inexpressive, stiff and immobile. Any episode of The Simpsons or King of the Hill has better animated "acting." And King of the Hill, often denigrated as the unfunny link in Fox's chain of animated shows, actually has character comedy, which means that it is funny even if you don't get a bunch of cheesy '80s references -- King of the Hill or the early Simpsons are genuuinely funny; Family Guy is fake funny, getting laughs by cheap means.

I hate this show

I know it's not a choice between Simpsons and Family Guy (are you a rocker or a raver? me? I like both kinds) but I find that I've reached saturation point with Simpsons and can no longer watch more than 2 episodes in a row, but with Family Guy (& doobs) I can watch 8 or 9 episodes and still be laughing out loud.
Same with Futurama as with Simpsons

Randy Newman in Family Guy is one of my favourite cartoon moments ever.

He dont like it thats ok. But he's actually sat down and done a serious analysis of why he doesnt like it. It seems to be a broad analysis as well which means even though he didnt like it he continued to watch just so he could moan about it some more. There must better things to do.

thegoone said:
gotta agree with him!

guess that makes me a party animal too

and when did sexual innuendo stop being funny? seriously.

de de do do do do de de do do de de do do do do do de de*

*benny hill** soundtrack.

**English eccentric.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back