Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (2 Viewers)

Just finished listening to this on radio:
Kiladangan keeper was sent off in Tipp county hurling semi final v Toomevara at Semple.
Darragh Egan the Kiladangan manager (sacked by Wexford recently) came on in goal!!! (Google Egan if you don't know what he looks like).
He's retired, not a keeper and not as mmm... 'fit' as he once was.
Anyway sub keeper Egan scored a point and apparently made a great save.
Kiladangan won 2-29 to 2-21.
Egan only conceded one of the goals.

EDIT:
Correction - Darragh Egan was usually a full forward but also a handy goalkeeper, I've just been told.

Last edited:
Just finished listening to this on radio:
Kiladangan keeper was sent off in Tipp county hurling semi final v Toomevara at Semple.
Darragh Egan the Kiladangan manager (sacked by Wexford recently) came on in goal!!! (Google Egan if you don't know what he looks like).
He's retired, not a keeper and not as mmm... 'fit' as he once was.
Anyway sub keeper Egan scored a point and apparently made a great save.
Kiladangan won 2-29 to 2-21.
Egan only conceded one of the goals.

EDIT:
Correction - Darragh Egan was usually a full forward but also a handy goalkeeper, I've just been told.
Egan was sub goalie for Tipp. I knew his brother, Colm, years ago. Hes a big-wig out in the Chicago GAA board now. Sound man.

Egan is a mountain of a man. If he never moved he'd still stop most of what'd be hit at him.

I was at the Kilkenny quarter-finals yesterday. Some drama in the second game. Great stuff altogether.

My work recently advertised vacancies on kiwisinlondon dot com, so I've not gone a day this month without meeting one of them.

They're ever so slightly worried. They're confident of course, but not arrogant at all. I must remind myself that they are not Australia.
"Well if Ireland win, they'd better win the whole fucking thing"
"I don't even mind if Ireland win, great team".

This is my fourth rugby world cup working for this lot (I've changed jobs, but so have they, so I still have the same guy on the other end of the phone). They're South African so they should know. Finally, they've realised that it's for the best to give all the Irish and Kiwi guy's today off.

In other news, I'd rather have tomorrow off, but I'm doing NFL. Some teams are playing a game for some reason.

Egan was sub goalie for Tipp. I knew his brother, Colm, years ago. Hes a big-wig out in the Chicago GAA board now. Sound man.

Egan is a mountain of a man. If he never moved he'd still stop most of what'd be hit at him.

I was at the Kilkenny quarter-finals yesterday. Some drama in the second game. Great stuff altogether.
Kiladangan 1-19 Thurles Sarsfields 0-22 in Tipp Hurling County Final.
Cracking match just finished on TG4.
The sides were level 14 times but Kiladangan were only ahead twice.

Are Ireland the Mayo of rugby?

Or maybe more like the Jimmy White of rugby?
Ireland rugby is just a hype machine. Leinster as well. They don't actually win fuck all, the odd 6 Nations every few years and that's it - but if you listen to 'The Experts' talk about them, you'd think they win the World Cup every match.

I was very gutted.

I like rugby, I am like most of you, of an age where it's weird to have a team of any code that's actually probably good, most of the time.

Meanwhile in the other egg chasing, the NFL was a fairly one-sided affair and The Ravens did beat the "home" team quite comfortably.
it's amazing how Americans can take a game about controlled aggression, speed and tactics and turn it into something so anaemic. Though you can't see a thing from my position, it's better on TV.

I did almost get this pic just right though, should have waited five minutes:

Attachments

• IMG_20231015_133252.jpg
    IMG_20231015_133252.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Rugby:
thought Ireland would get to final. loads of mistakes = penalties and turnovers and you lose.
even I was disappointed.

if you had picked the four QF winners you'd have made some money.
SA to beat England by at least 30 points.

France v South Africa was great last night.

I don't get scrums - it took maybe 4 minutes very late in that match last night to do one scrum - silly.
unless they are near the try line they don't serve much purpose.

the NZ match was the first time i watched a rugby match from start to finish in probably two or three decades. can't say it stirred the blood for me in the slightest,

Ireland rugby is just a hype machine. Leinster as well. They don't actually win fuck all, the odd 6 Nations every few years and that's it - but if you listen to 'The Experts' talk about them, you'd think they win the World Cup every match.

while there is endless hype about it - Ireland have been consistently strong over the past decade or so.

however there are really only 6-8 international teams that are at an anyway equal competitive standing, so its not like being in the top 8 in soccer.

a lot of the hype is just bandwaggoning, there was probably similar around soccer when we had a not entirely shite national squad

ended up also having to watch 20 mins of the england v fiji match yesterday too.
gas that given that rugby is so popular in england, that a nation with less than a million people can push them so hard.

the NZ match was the first time i watched a rugby match from start to finish in probably two or three decades. can't say it stirred the blood for me in the slightest,
The youngfla decided we were going to watch the Ruggahh, so he set up the whole thing with the Virgin app and everything. I was very impressed with him.

Anyway, they're yanks, so they don't really have a notion what's going on, other than the concept of touchdowns. Things got a bit heated when my daughter saw the All Blacks waiving about a massive stripy stick and doing the Haka. Suggestions that this didn't seem fair. ("DID YOU SEE THAT GUY'S TONGUE!", laughter.)

Then we got into it, it wasn't bad! The youngfla was fairly riveted to the thing, the daughter realised that they weren't going to use the stripy stick in play, and fell asleep. But yeah, first game of Rugby watched.

The youngfla decided we were going to watch the Ruggahh, so he set up the whole thing with the Virgin app and everything. I was very impressed with him.

Anyway, they're yanks, so they don't really have a notion what's going on, other than the concept of touchdowns. Things got a bit heated when my daughter saw the All Blacks waiving about a massive stripy stick and doing the Haka. Suggestions that this didn't seem fair. ("DID YOU SEE THAT GUY'S TONGUE!", laughter.)

Then we got into it, it wasn't bad! The youngfla was fairly riveted to the thing, the daughter realised that they weren't going to use the stripy stick in play, and fell asleep. But yeah, first game of Rugby watched.
you are dead to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back