Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

thats from yesterday's club final. The ball was clearly over the line but no goal was given. The lad on the line is from St.Thomases of Galway, who went on to win by a point.

It looks over the line to me too - I guess without VAR it's the whole 'it's whatever the ref says it is' - but yeah thats a tough break.
UTM is always philosophical about these things, like if the goal was given, would it have fired them up to make up the margin in any case.

It looks over the line to me too - I guess without VAR it's the whole 'it's whatever the ref says it is' - but yeah thats a tough break.
UTM is always philosophical about these things, like if the goal was given, would it have fired them up to make up the margin in any case.
oh yea, absolutely. And 1 Galway lad got sent off, while each team could have had 3 lads shown the line.

But, given the nature of the game and the conditions it was played in, a goal would have been a massive score.

Its all speculation as to what might have happened, but the Kilkenny crowd are justified in being pissed off about it.

This winning point by Enna Burke was amazing. He hit a blind shot from the touchline with seconds left.
A real piece of art.
Yeah saw that. It was absolutely fuckin awesome, the way he took it down, tapped it to control, then just grabbed and shot with the goal almost behind him and players crowding him in. Absolute fuckin class.

It's horrible and all, but I can't help but be amused at the shenanigans at WBA v Wolves today.

In my experience, Wolves fans are the funniest. Perhaps with todays febrile atmosphere the banter didn't land well. I didn't get to watch it live, when I tried to watch it on catchup it had already been edited.

I think this is what you actual soccerball fans would call "Classic FA Cup".

We used to distract our religion teacher by asking him what it was like being an Irish Arsenal fan in London in the '80's.

"Oh, I don't want to talk about it, but...." and then stories would come out. And then the bell would ring for end of class and he'd go "bollocks, shitfuck. Uhh, read page 20 of your textbooks lads, seriously. Otherwise I'll get fired".

*I put quotations in there, but it was never an actual quote. But you get the vibe.

It's horrible and all, but I can't help but be amused at the shenanigans at WBA v Wolves today.

In my experience, Wolves fans are the funniest. Perhaps with todays febrile atmosphere the banter didn't land well. I didn't get to watch it live, when I tried to watch it on catchup it had already been edited.

I think this is what you actual soccerball fans would call "Classic FA Cup".
The fact the match kicked off at 11:45 am and was apparently the first Black Country derby since 2013(?) says a lot.
I was following it on The Guardian website but haven't seen videos of the crowd problems yet.

The fact the match kicked off at 11:45 am and was apparently the first Black Country derby since 2013(?) says a lot.
I was following it on The Guardian website but haven't seen videos of the crowd problems yet.

The snippets I've seen were quite nasty.
I'm sure the 11:45 ko was exactly so that people wouldn't be too drunk. That apparently didn't work.

Utterly moronic though. I know some of you like this football stuff, and sometimes I get swept up in it, but it's daft.

after a four year gap the cycling Tour Colombia returns on 6th February 2024.
expect huge fantico crowds, very excitable commentators (who even sing sometimes and use the Colombiano riders nicknames a lot), brutal mountains and lots of other awesomeness.
For years Colombianos had no opportunity to see their cycling gods once they moved to Europe - never mind foreign stars. This stage race changed all that.

This legendary final stage 6 in 2019 finished on a very steep ring road in Medellin - some of the biggest crowds ever seen at a bike race turned out. In the closing kms 'Nairoman' Quitana and a young Ivan Sosa accidentally got knocked off their bikes by fans (16:30). Race leader Miguel Angel 'Superman Lopez' and Ivan Sosa were only seconds apart on GC and marked each other out cat and mouse, as if Sosa had won stage then time bounses would have given him the overall win too.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

one of the best cycling events I have ever seen.
Definitely prime youtube /streaming /dodgy box viewing on Tuesday evening - make sure you have Colombiano commentary. Stage 1 expected to finish about 19:30 pm GMT.

Spanish football referee Angel Franco Martinez has died aged 85.
He had a distinguished career inc. the Copa del Rey Final and two World Cup Finals matches both in 1978.
What makes him interesting is how his name was used in 1970's headlines to covertly criticise Francisco Franco. Poor Angel Franco got a lot of negative headlines!
This led to referees being known by both parents surnames.
Angel Franco Martinez reckoned he never got the Final of the Copa Generalissmo while Franco was alive because of all this.

expect huge fantico crowds, very excitable commentators (who even sing sometimes and use the Colombiano riders nicknames a lot), brutal mountains and lots of other awesomeness.
For years Colombianos had no opportunity to see their cycling gods once they moved to Europe - never mind foreign stars. This stage race changed all that.

This legendary final stage 6 in 2019 finished on a very steep ring road in Medellin - some of the biggest crowds ever seen at a bike race turned out. In the closing kms 'Nairoman' Quitana and a young Ivan Sosa accidentally got knocked off their bikes by fans (16:30). Race leader Miguel Angel 'Superman Lopez' and Ivan Sosa were only seconds apart on GC and marked each other out cat and mouse, as if Sosa had won stage then time bounses would have given him the overall win too.

Definitely prime youtube /streaming /dodgy box viewing on Tuesday evening - make sure you have Colombiano commentary. Stage 1 expected to finish about 19:30 pm GMT.

I got the time an hour wrong!
The stage today in Colombia finished about 6:30 pm i.e. 7:30 pm CET.
I couldn't find a live stream of stage but will watch it later.
As expected it ended in a sprint.

Tour Colombia etapa 1:

The commentator goes into hyperspace in the last km @ 7:30!
"Senoras and Senoritas..." Then woosh! Rapid fire stream of consciousness until...
"VICTORIA! VICTORIA! VICTORIA! VICTORIA COLOMBIA!!" and some singing to finish the job off before a much calmer Señorita takes over to sum up the race.

sweet, thanks for sharing this. Agreed, the colombians do love their cycling. They really come out in numbers to cheer on La Vuelta, particularly the final stage into Madrid. Crazy country in many ways so its great for them to have an event like this to distract from the other shit that goes on.

sweet, thanks for sharing this. Agreed, the colombians do love their cycling. They really come out in numbers to cheer on La Vuelta, particularly the final stage into Madrid. Crazy country in many ways so its great for them to have an event like this to distract from the other shit that goes on.
The fact the race is on at all shows how much this has changed.
Medellin had thousands of murders p.a. (5,000 odd at one point) in the 80's and 90's, but now it gets a lot of tourists and is gentrified.
They always say fixing the infrastructure in Medellin in early 2000's made a huge difference e.g. cable cars connected the most dangerous Barrios at the upper parts of the city to the wealthier downtown areas.

FARC disarming and the drugs lords being less conspicuous must have a made a massive difference.

The fact the race is on at all shows how much this has changed.
Medellin had thousands of murders p.a. (5,000 odd at one point) in the 80's and 90's, but now it gets a lot of tourists and is gentrified.
They always say fixing the infrastructure in Medellin in early 2000's made a huge difference e.g. cable cars connected the most dangerous Barrios at the upper parts of the city to the wealthier downtown areas.

FARC disarming and the drugs lords being less conspicuous must have a made a massive difference.
Yeah apparently Medellin is basically the safest place in Colombia these days. But also all the drug gangs etc. have basically moved over to Ecuador instead.

Xabi Alonso's unbeaten Bayer Leverkusen v 2nd place Bayern Munich at 5:30. Saturday 10-2-24.

Leverkusen were mid table last season but the Basque genius has achieved great things after only 16 months as a coach.
Anyone who can put up with being best friends with Mikel Arteta for 30 years deserves serious respect!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back