Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (3 Viewers)

No, Millwall fans are still mental
Is it that Millwall attracts this sort of person or that the local area has lead in the water or something? The tribalism around football always seems so intense compared to other sports or other subcultures (these days anyway, I know the mods and rockers fights got fairly hot).

Is it that Millwall attracts this sort of person or that the local area has lead in the water or something? The tribalism around football always seems so intense compared to other sports or other subcultures (these days anyway, I know the mods and rockers fights got fairly hot).
If you're the kind of person who likes aggro, then you'll gravitate towards Millwall, because no one likes them and they don't care. Otherwise you'll choose one of the many other clubs. I only know one Millwall fan. He's a contrarian fecker.

They're not so racist nowadays, but it has a lot to do with racism. People being pushed out of where they were born 'n' bred because of all them immigrants what are coming over here etc. It's nonsense. A lot of it is performative, sometimes it's not.

So they watch football instead of punching Tories.

If you're the kind of person who likes aggro, then you'll gravitate towards Millwall, because no one likes them and they don't care. Otherwise you'll choose one of the many other clubs. I only know one Millwall fan. He's a contrarian fecker.

They're not so racist nowadays, but it has a lot to do with racism. People being pushed out of where they were born 'n' bred because of all them immigrants what are coming over here etc. It's nonsense. A lot of it is performative, sometimes it's not.

So they watch football instead of punching Tories.
Do they know you can punch Tories *and* watch football? That could be a game changer.

I spoke to the one Millwall fan friend today. Apparently the history of the WHU/MFC animus goes way back. Over a hundred years. They were all dockers, West Ham was originally Thames Iron Works, but the WHU guys went on strike. The Millwall guys crossed the picket line and broke the strike. Bad feeling continues to this day.

Millwall fan told me this, and he is ashamed. But so it is.

World Champs Men's Marathon on in Budapest now.
Must have started at 7 am (6 am) Irish time.
So I am watching replay of early stages here at moment 7 mins in. A Mongolian lad has torn off on his own -
He is well over 100 metres ahead after 2 or 3 km!
Big added bonus of Sonia O'Sullivan commentating - she knows her stuff.

K
World Champs Men's Marathon on in Budapest now.
Must have started at 7 am (6 am) Irish time.
So I am watching replay of early stages here at moment 7 mins in. A Mongolian lad has torn off on his own -
He is well over 100 metres ahead after 2 or 3 km!
Big added bonus of Sonia O'Sullivan commentating - she knows her stuff.
Victor Kiplangat from Uganda won making it look easy in heat and humidity w/ 2:08:53.
Two lads fell (in different incidents) with about 10 km left as things were getting blown apart.
Both bombed back past other runners and looked they would blow up when the adrenaline faded - but they didn't -
Maru Teferi (Israel) caught Laul Gebresilase close to the line to get 2nd.
The other guy who fell, Ugandan Stephen Kissa got 5th behind surprise Tebello Ramakongosana (Lesotho) who was delighted.
No Kenyans in top 7.

A very happy Omar Hassan from refugee team was 41st @ 2:17:23.
46 finished last of whom ran 2:20:20.
19 non finishers inc. Ethiopian defending champ Tamirat Tola who blew up near end and DNF @ 39 km.

Gateshead based Mongolian runner Bat-Ochiryn Ser-Od got caught after 10 km and got cramps shortly after was not too surprisingly one of the first DNF. He has been to several Olympics so not sure what he planned today

Best parts of championship marathons are early stages when things are splitting up as runners set own goals and of course watching happy faces finishing.

FAI need to publicly explain ('transparency') why Vera Pauw was not offered a new contract.
She deserves better than this.
This is a real come down for Irish soccer after a very honourable WC performance.
If there was a problem we need to know.
The pressure will really be on the next head coach and the players now.

FAI need to publicly explain ('transparency') why Vera Pauw was not offered a new contract.
She deserves better than this.
This is a real come down for Irish soccer after a very honourable WC performance.
If there was a problem we need to know.
The pressure will really be on the next head coach and the players now.

I imagine that things will begin to leak from the players in the next few weeks.

I don't think it's fair to say that the players have fragged the coach, they're entitled to express displeasure at her methods or whatever.

I also don't think, on the subject of "player power", that the FAI wouldn't have made the call based solely on what they thought.

Personally feel that with all other noise removed she probably deserved another deal but I imagine stuff like the Athletic piece was a factor, and there are criticisms that could be made of her game management in the tournament. It's not entirely open and shut.

Pauw did a great job but by the end of the WC she came with too much baggage. If they had extended her contract 90% of the future discussion on the team would have been about her (her past, her interactions with the team, her training methods, etc etc)... not neccessarily her fault but I think the time was right to move on..

Pauw did a great job but by the end of the WC she came with too much baggage. If they had extended her contract 90% of the future discussion on the team would have been about her (her past, her interactions with the team, her training methods, etc etc)... not neccessarily her fault but I think the time was right to move on..
I think a fraction of 90% would be closer to the mark.

I will read what The Athletic said but compared to Ferguson throwing things at Beckham's head...

I find it upsetting the the Houston Dash stuff may have played a big role in Pauw losing her job.
It was not a fair process AFAICS.

To treat anyone (esp. someone who achieved so much) like this is sad.

The FAI are still a joke... On what I know this is a bad decision unless the FAI know things the public don't - in that is the case they need to say.

Sorry to labour the point but I think actions need to be justified publicly.
This kind of withholding info behaviour is always a big trigger with me.

I think a fraction of 90% would be closer to the mark.

I will read what The Athletic said but compared to Ferguson throwing things at Beckham's head...

I find it upsetting the the Houston Dash stuff may have played a big role in Pauw losing her job.
It was not a fair process AFAICS.

To treat anyone (esp. someone who achieved so much) like this is sad.

The FAI are still a joke... On what I know this is a bad decision unless the FAI know things the public don't - in that is the case they need to say.

Sorry to labour the point but I think actions need to be justified publicly.
This kind of withholding info behaviour is always a big trigger with me.

I would say a significant reason her contract wasn't renewed is for footballing reasons- antiquated and controversial training techniques, negative style, low level discontent from players.. Her contract was up, it doesn't seem unfair to me not to renew it

PS I think the Houston Dash stuff seemed like a load of bollocks and nobody here really seemed to think it reflected THAT badly on her, but the the news cycle started became about her, her style, her relationship wth players etc and she kind of drew that upon herself in the way she dealt with the media..

I would say a significant reason her contract wasn't renewed is for footballing reasons- antiquated and controversial training techniques, negative style, low level discontent from players.. Her contract was up, it doesn't seem unfair to me not to renew it
OK those are valid reasons - if that's the case.
Most of that would've applied to Jack Charlton.

Leaving it until she was out of contract to make a decision on Pauw was clueless and disrespectful.
There would be a new manager ready to go if the FAI knew what they're doing.

PS I think the Houston Dash stuff seemed like a load of bollocks and nobody here really seemed to think it reflected THAT badly on her, but the the news cycle started became about her, her style, her relationship wth players etc and she kind of drew that upon herself in the way she dealt with the media..
I just think it's so funny looking at how the team has been playing the last year and a half or so and comparing it with how they were doing 4 years ago. I remember around 2019 I saw them get hammered in Tallaght 2-0 by the Netherlands. I say hammered, because no joke, it should have been 8-0, but after a couple of goals the Netherlands just started passing the ball around midfield and taking it easy. It was literally like watching pros vs amateurs, absolute leagues of difference. We didn't even get remotely near their goal (I think this was the same game where at one point we got a throw-in near the Netherlands corner flag, and the person taking the throw threw it straight out for a goal kick, hahahaha)
I'd say The Netherlands would have a hard enough time getting a 1-0 against us now, just 4 years later.

I just think it's so funny looking at how the team has been playing the last year and a half or so and comparing it with how they were doing 4 years ago. I remember around 2019 I saw them get hammered in Tallaght 2-0 by the Netherlands. I say hammered, because no joke, it should have been 8-0, but after a couple of goals the Netherlands just started passing the ball around midfield and taking it easy. It was literally like watching pros vs amateurs, absolute leagues of difference. We didn't even get remotely near their goal (I think this was the same game where at one point we got a throw-in near the Netherlands corner flag, and the person taking the throw threw it straight out for a goal kick, hahahaha)
I'd say The Netherlands would have a hard enough time getting a 1-0 against us now, just 4 years later.

Is she the next Jim McGuinness? Hated by anyone who was exposed as being kinda lazy by comparison, and then in void they left are eventually brought back in via an intervention of sorts - once it became painfully obvious the begrudgers only had the talent of begrudgery.

Is there something happening on Sunday then?
I'm getting texts referring to something, and I'm giving them the old thumbs up while having no idea what they're talking about. Given the fact they seem to agree on Sunday, I'm assuming sports.

This is it

But the players think it's them that's the difference

And the Association don't have the stones to hold teh ground for the best coach the women's team has ever had
It's like watching a car crash in slow motion

Fact is, we don't deserve Vera Pauw

This is it

But the players think it's them that's the difference

And the Association don't have the stones to hold teh ground for the best coach the women's team has ever had
It's like watching a car crash in slow motion

Fact is, we don't deserve Vera Pauw
Let's see what happens next...
But I think you're right - Vera Pauw will have the last laugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back