Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (1 Viewer)

ok but they don't directly impact each others performance yet still compete - what is the term for this

Apologies for any confusion caused. The term that best describes a sport where competitors don't directly impact each other's performance but still compete against one another is an "individual sport" or "non-contact sport."
In individual sports, participants compete independently, and their performance is evaluated based on their individual results rather than their interaction with opponents. While they may be competing simultaneously, the focus is on personal achievement and surpassing individual goals rather than directly affecting each other's performance. Examples of individual sports include track and field events, swimming, golf, tennis, and cross-country running, where athletes aim to achieve the best possible results within their own abilities.

so what type of sport is Golf

Golf is typically categorized as an "individual sport" or a "precision sport." In golf, players compete individually against the course and aim to complete each hole in as few strokes as possible. While golf is often played in a group setting, each player's performance is independent of the others. Golfers take turns hitting their own golf balls and navigate the course based on their own skills and strategies. The final score is determined by the total number of strokes taken by each player throughout the round. Thus, golf can be considered an individual sport where players compete against the course and strive to achieve the lowest score possible.

Chatbot is wrong I think. I had a chat about this exact thing last night, while our Rory was on the television. Even in golf, somehow the other competitors can affect you, my buddy insisted. I can't see how, but I suppose it's something fundamentally human to be competitive. Or there's some extreme level of head-fuckery that goes on at elite level sports.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

There's three vids in that insta post, all fun

I hope this isn't getting much traction in Ireland, but English crickets report on the state of the sport, which took years and 4,000 witnesses, has discovered that cricket is racist, sexist, classist and with a big drinking culture which makes some people feel excluded.

Who fucking knew?

Sorry, it's just pissing me off because it's all over the news here. Possibly the most exciting thing to ever happen in cricket.

I hope this isn't getting much traction in Ireland, but English crickets report on the state of the sport, which took years and 4,000 witnesses, has discovered that cricket is racist, sexist, classist and with a big drinking culture which makes some people feel excluded.

Who fucking knew?

Sorry, it's just pissing me off because it's all over the news here. Possibly the most exciting thing to ever happen in cricket.
a bit like rugby in Ireland? a symptom of England as much as cricket.

Windies fastmen Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh bowl England out for 46 in 1994.

a bit like rugby in Ireland? a symptom of England as much as cricket.

Windies fastmen Curtly Ambrose and Courtney Walsh bowl England out for 46 in 1994.

On the face of it, yes.

Rugby boys have the excuse of excessive testostorone and brain injuries.

I think the cricket lads have quite a bit more privilege than Irish rugby guys. As in, centuries thereof.

Also I reckon your, say, Oceanic rugby players don't get the same level of abuse as an Asian cricketer. Don't know about the Caribbean lads, I've not heard them mentioned much.

On the face of it, yes.

Rugby boys have the excuse of excessive testostorone and brain injuries.

I think the cricket lads have quite a bit more privilege than Irish rugby guys. As in, centuries thereof.

Also I reckon your, say, Oceanic rugby players don't get the same level of abuse as an Asian cricketer. Don't know about the Caribbean lads, I've not heard them mentioned much.
I will read up on the report later. the findings so far about Azeem Rafiq's treatment were damning.
Cricket is a real mixed bag from private educated lads to Asian kids. Few British black cricketers now compared to a few generations ago.
Muslims are always easy targets for racists.

Don't really follow it now at all now.

Do I care about tennis? I don't want to care about tennis. Fuck tennis. It's more interesting than MI4 in the other room.

In this moment Wawrinka is like a childhood friend.

That'd be why the goalkeepings all shit alright

I've seen one WSL game live, and yeah the standard is different. More importantly I thought the style was very different. But there are good skills on display from some players. Someone said to me "just treat it like a different sport". It has a ways to go, but that's not their fault. The skills are definitely there.

But anyway by that logic, watching international football is very different to watching top tier mens club football. Or League of Ireland. Or your 12 year old nephews team. Does it matter, really? Two competitive teams being the best they can be and a bit of passion. As a spectator, that's what you really want from a game isn't it?

I've seen one WSL game live, and yeah the standard is different. More importantly I thought the style was very different. But there are good skills on display from some players. Someone said to me "just treat it like a different sport".

Was chatting to a lady a few weeks back who was adamant that they need to scale down the pitch and the nets about 10% to match womens heights and sprint speeds and passing distances or increase the team number or something.
She made a much longer more compelling arguement than i am.

That'd be why the goalkeepings all shit alright
The Christiane Endler Chilean 'keeper who plays for Lyon is ace. Have seen make saves few can make.
She could play with male pros.

Unfortunately we won't hear the Chilean anthem at this World Cup.
Fantastic tune - the best national anthem IMO.
love how long it is as well. Fuck FIFA for not allowing them to play the whole thing anymore

France 1998 full version with Zamorano, Salas and the hombres in Nantes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back