Fairweather Sports Tourist Thread (7 Viewers)

I fell asleep before MOTD and The Sunday Game came on last night so will have to catch up today.
That's the problem:
The last few weeks have been crazy. I have spent a huge amount of time watching sport on TV especially at weekends and still couldn't keep up with it all.
I follow soccer, cycling, hurling... (would have watched Munster v Stormers rugby if I had channel).
Yesterday afternoon I was listening to Tipp put in a dire performance v Waterford on radio (Tipp folks were quitely confident about the Championship until yesterday) while watching the end of PL season (that has dragged on a few weeks) and keeping a brief eye on the Giro.

Too much stuff has clashed and there was only one day in the last few weeks there wasn't a major soccer match on - - last Tuesday when Ireland U17 won in Euros.

The GAA moving the season hasn't helped. In fact I think it was silly idea.

In most sports you roughly know what is will be on in any given weekend of the year and they stick to those slots.
The weather can be shit in April and it clashed with a key part of the soccer season and the best month for cycling (Classics).
Changing the Championship start from late May was an if it ain't broke break it moment.
Usually even if a big soccer tournament is on the end of May and beginning of June is quieter and was a great time to get going.

And Tipp were crap yesterday.
I agree that they shouldn't have moved the championship start time, I don't think there was anything really wrong with it where it was - maybe move it a few weeks earlier was all, so it's over around start of September time, cause the finals could suffer from the weather at the end of September.
Edit: Just saw youse have been discussing pretty much exactly what I'm saying there haha

The Munster - Stormers match was on TG4, I watched it on TG4 player on my phone.

I agree that they shouldn't have moved the championship start time, I don't think there was anything really wrong with it where it was - maybe move it a few weeks earlier was all, so it's over around start of September time, cause the finals could suffer from the weather at the end of September.
Edit: Just saw youse have been discussing pretty much exactly what I'm saying there haha

The Munster - Stormers match was on TG4, I watched it on TG4 player on my phone.
Was watching Luton v Coventry anyway plus Slovenian celebrations at Giro.
So I would have been watching 3 things instead of 2!

No sport on TV I wanted to watch yesterday. Sky Sports were really stuck for ANY live content yesterday.
Very quiet week
Shows why starting All Ireland in late May was a good idea.

Tennis in Paris seems to be only major international event on over the whole week.

I wanted to post this on its 30th anniversary, thinking it happened in late 1993.
BUT I missed it as my memory let me down. it was actually 20-1-1993.

Curtly Ambrose takes 7-1 against Australia in Perth.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Some awful wankers on the Aussie team and the 6 foot 8" cool-as-fuck Antiguan fast bowler just mangled them. Future Ireland and West Indies coach Phil Simmons is fielding.
That day Allan Border only needed 51 runs to beat Sunil Gavaskar's record for the most runs in Test cricket.
But as Border goes to play an incredible unplayable first ball he gets himself in knots and outside edges it to wicketkeeper Murray. LOVED IT.

A lot of those cartoon duck cricketer graphics after dismissals - if you remember them.

The type of stuff that makes cricket haters fans for a day.
Sir Curtly later was frontman and bassist in a reggae band.
licensed-image

That was something.

Declan Rice is too handsome for Arsenal.
not a great match but The Irons got the job done. even Rice was pretty uninspiring.
Fiorentina dominated possession but didn't create much and were vulnerable at the back and got caught out at the end.
anyway great scenes afterwards.
as Steve Harris would say: ''UP THE IRONS!''

not a great match but The Irons got the job done. even Rice was pretty uninspiring.
Fiorentina dominated possession but didn't create much and were vulnerable at the back and got caught out at the end.
anyway great scenes afterwards.
as Steve Harris would say: ''UP THE IRONS!''
This being a Fairweather sports tourist thread, I had a very different experience. I think I actually understood the tactics better than I would have a year ago, and I mostly liked what I saw. I certainly can't say that for every game I've watched.

The fans are a good laugh when they're in a good mood.

And since you mentioned Steve Harris, this is the best version of this I can find. I'm up on the top rhs:

This being a Fairweather sports tourist thread, I had a very different experience. I think I actually understood the tactics better than I would have a year ago, and I mostly liked what I saw. I certainly can't say that for every game I've watched.

The fans are a good laugh when they're in a good mood.

And since you mentioned Steve Harris, this is the best version of this I can find. I'm up on the top rhs:

A big triumph for Moyes who got the big decisions right. Fiorentina had better players and played more attacking football but Moyes saw them off.
West Ham looked far more dangerous with their attacks.
I don't know shit about tactics either!

That lights show was a banger.
In case anyone doesn't know MAIDEN always write Up The Irons somewhere on their albums (I don't have all of them though).

random aside - is there a term for a sport where your opponent's performance has no direct impact on yours?
combative/non-combative sounds overdramatic.

but for example, in athletics or golf, your opponent beats you by performing or playing better than you, rather than by trying to prevent you from playing well in the first place.

i should ask my german colleagues. they'll probably have a word for it.
but i don't think a javelin thrower would call it a game. or football players agreeing football isn't a sport.

chatgpt says

"The term for a sport where your opponent's performance has no direct impact on yours is "non-oppositional sport" or "non-comparative sport." In these sports, participants compete against a set standard or their own previous performances rather than directly against each other. The focus is on achieving personal goals or improving individual performance rather than defeating an opponent. Examples of non-oppositional sports include gymnastics, swimming, track and field events, and time trials in cycling or rowing."

but i'm not buying it, since swimmers and the like do actually compete against each other

define "non-comparative sport"

I apologize for the confusion in my previous response. The term "non-comparative sport" was incorrect, and I appreciate you pointing that out. There isn't a specific term in common usage for a sport where your opponent's performance has no direct impact on yours. The closest related term might be "non-adversarial sport" or "individual sport."
In non-adversarial sports or individual sports, athletes compete against a predetermined standard, such as time, distance, or score, rather than directly against an opponent. The focus is on personal achievement, self-improvement, and surpassing individual goals, rather than winning or losing against others. Examples of non-adversarial or individual sports include running, swimming, golf, gymnastics, and other similar activities where the objective is to perform to the best of one's ability rather than defeating an opponent.

but you don't swim slower as a result of your opponent swimming faster. not directly - there is obviously a psychological effect in many of these.

runners race each other

You are correct, and I apologize for any confusion caused by my previous responses. In many forms of running, such as track and field or road racing, runners do indeed race against each other. They compete to finish the race in the shortest amount of time and strive to outperform their opponents. This is a clear example of a comparative or competitive sport, where the performance of one runner directly impacts the others, as they strive to cross the finish line ahead of their competitors.
The term "non-oppositional sport" or "non-comparative sport" that I mentioned earlier may not accurately describe running or other sports where participants directly compete against each other. I apologize for any misunderstanding caused. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back