Facebook (4 Viewers)

11407081_981986021851733_7714645260491107980_n.jpg

Una on us and our phones

Una Mullally: What are you looking at?

Social media is largely bookended by narcissism and outrage. Opinions fall like rockslides, pebbles pinging you with stupid, reactionary points of view. Everyone is Donald Trump or a hollering Liveline caller and an instant authority on shot lions or Taylor Swift. This noise is replicated, and perhaps even led by, the media, which churns out reaction, commentary and opinion on even the most frivolous things. Something happens – generally in popular culture, perhaps on the lightening rod themes of gender or race – an angry storm brews online and then the aftermath moves into the columns casting judgment, before a consensus has been reached and then forgotten about instantly, only for the tide to be sucked out and let form another wave that crashes shortly after. All columnists are guilty of contributing to that noise. But the hysterics on social media have become deafening.

Una on us and our phones

Una Mullally: What are you looking at?

Social media is largely bookended by narcissism and outrage. Opinions fall like rockslides, pebbles pinging you with stupid, reactionary points of view. Everyone is Donald Trump or a hollering Liveline caller and an instant authority on shot lions or Taylor Swift. This noise is replicated, and perhaps even led by, the media, which churns out reaction, commentary and opinion on even the most frivolous things. Something happens – generally in popular culture, perhaps on the lightening rod themes of gender or race – an angry storm brews online and then the aftermath moves into the columns casting judgment, before a consensus has been reached and then forgotten about instantly, only for the tide to be sucked out and let form another wave that crashes shortly after. All columnists are guilty of contributing to that noise. But the hysterics on social media have become deafening.

lightning rod

Facebook : Friend posts this IT story

Six Irish attractions make Lonely Planet list of top sights

Temples of Angkor named world’s top must-see destination in guidebook list of 500

Friend - Pffft. and I thought Angkor was busy when I went there in 2003, can only imagine what it's like now. Glad it's chalked off my list!

Your buddy 7!!! - The crowds are handled well. It's all down to good Angkor management.

Friend - Twas a bit mental when I was there, we started at 6am-ish to beat the crowds, but hadn't reckoned on the hoards of Japanese and Korean bus tour groups who had the same idea! But yes, once you start taking in the lesser visited temples you have plenty of peace.

Why do I bother? Why????

This is an absolutely incredible achievement

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

on the other hand, it's fucking facebook

Jennifer Dawn"Connecting the whole world." There are seven billion+ people in the world, a big portion of which are living in poverty, starving to death and dying of disease, and don't have access to clean water. I doubt they even know what Facebook is, let alone have an interest in connecting with people who are living in luxury while they continue suffering. And here we are worrying about which celebrities are divorcing and football season starting. If we could actually do something relevant in this world by connecting together through Facebook, I'd be a bit more enthusiastic about one billion people logging on.

Come on, lots of people use it for good stuff.
Life isn't a choice between gossip and helping others, it's usually both for most people.
There's room for value and meaningless bullshit in most lives.
Facebook has made it easier to connect with people and things that we care about.
Granted a lot of that is horseshit, but there's good in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back