Facebook (2 Viewers)

Was it me? I unfriended everyone. It wasn't personal. I would unfollow me in heartbeat if i wasn't me.

Nah, I enjoyed your fruitless leprechaun hunts.

I just assume that they always are but are more concerned with their own to bother doing anything about it.

Hmmm, good way of thinking, I'll assume the same of everyone.

I kept seeing them pop up in my feed, created by others, almost all of them with the default caption, “It’s been a great year! Thanks for being a part of it.” Which was, by itself, jarring enough, the idea that any year I was part of could be described as great.

Still, they were easy enough to pass over, and I did. Until today, when I got this in my feed, exhorting me to create one of my own. “Eric, here’s what your year looked like!”

A picture of my daughter, who is dead. Who died this year.

Yes, my year looked like that. True enough. My year looked like the now-absent face of my little girl.

Eric's Archived Thoughts: Inadvertent Algorithmic Cruelty

I had a few poignant photos show up in mine. But It's just an automated slideshow of stuff I chose to post this year. I didn't share it. I moved on. And promptly posted some more stuff I may regret later when it's presented back to me.

Seeing more "I'm going to cull my friends" posts on Facebook

Do they not understand how it works?

Why announce it, just do it. The people you deleted probably won't even realise

Bah

I owe the Year in Review team in specific, and Facebook in general, an apology. No, not the other way around. I did get email from Jonathan Gheller, product manager of the Year in Review team at Facebook, before the story starting hitting the papers, and he was sincerely apologetic. Also determined to do better in the future. But I am very sorry that I dropped the Internet on his head for Christmas. He and his team didn’t deserve it.

(And yes, I’ve reflected quite a bit on the irony that I inadvertently made their lives more difficult by posting, after they inadvertently made mine more difficult by coding.)

Yes, their design failed to handle situations like mine, but in that, they’re hardly alone. This happens all the time, all over the web, in every imaginable context. Taking worst-case scenarios into account is something that web design does poorly, and usually not at all. I was using Facebook’s Year in Review as one example, a timely and relevant foundation to talk about a much wider issue.

Eric's Archived Thoughts: Well, That Escalated Quickly

Seeing more "I'm going to cull my friends" posts on Facebook

Do they not understand how it works?

Why announce it, just do it. The people you deleted probably won't even realise

Bah
This post inspired me to take a look and do some defriending..but I actually either know IRL or like all 280 of my facefriends.

They all deserve to be subjected to my nocturnal shenanigans.
Thats the price you pay if ya wanna be in my gang

The Only Way Is Porto

I havent done as much posting from my new phone as I thought I would.If I'm out of the house the last thing on my mind is Facebook.

I thought I'd be one of them posting left and right from pubs and restaurants and all when I got it.Turns out I don't get out much and when I do..I live in the fucking moment

I am looking forward to my next airport/train experience though.

I coulda had great craic with a smart phone last time I was in Dublin Airport

"Those who judge you are in some way threatened by you, what you represent in themselves that they aren't comfortable with yet, or feel insecure of their lacking." This was said to me by an unknown person in my dream last night. Thank you, subconscious. I think you're on to something.

"Those who judge you are in some way threatened by you, what you represent in themselves that they aren't comfortable with yet, or feel insecure of their lacking." This was said to me by an unknown person in my dream last night. Thank you, subconscious. I think you're on to something.
The words of a future dictator

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back