Facebook (3 Viewers)

Another tipster told TechCrunch she had one email address compromised but noted she cannot figure out how the email was even obtained by Facebook as it appears to be for a former work place, is no longer valid and was never directly associated by her with her account — suggesting Facebook is automatically harvesting contact data from other Facebook users and associating it with other accounts.

That sort of action, while creepy, would certainly help Facebook expand its network of contact information so it can generate new friend recommendations. We’re reaching out to Facebook to confirm how it gathers this data and will update this story with any response.

If Facebook is harvesting data on its users from other site users then not personally posting a piece of your contact information does not guarantee it won’t end up in Facebook’s databanks — and therefore be at risk of being exposed via this type of security breach — because Facebook might simply be harvesting your contact data from someone else you have corresponded with.

Suggesting? Might?

Did anyone seriously think they weren't actively doing this?

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/22/facebook-breach-letter/

It also underlines exactly why the NSA wants a backdoor into this type of digital treasure trove. If you’re going to outsource low-level surveillance of everyone, then Facebook is one of a handful of tech companies large enough to have files on almost everyone. So really, forget the futuristic Borg: this ceaseless data-harvesting brings to mind the dossier-gathering attention to detail of the Stasi.

Does this matter? That depends on whether you care about privacy — your own or other people’s. Since Facebook is not immune to data leaks and security imperfections, as the latest bug illustrates (which has apparently been a puncture-hole in its systems since last year), the fact that it is harvesting and storing your data means there is an ongoing risk that data could be exposed to others without your consent. And that’s ignoring the primary lack of consent in Facebook storing your data without asking you in the first place.

Apparently it’s okay for your friends to consent to sharing your data on your behalf. Better choose your friends carefully then. Except it’s not even just your friends — it’s likely anyone you have had cause to correspond with in any capacity, friendship or otherwise.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/06/24/creepy-facebook/

oh this is fucking priceless

Of particular note, Mobile Insight automatically flagged the Facebook application for Android because it leaked the device phone number. The first time you launch the Facebook application, even before logging in, your phone number will be sent over the Internet to Facebook servers. You do not need to provide your phone number, log in, initiate a specific action, or even need a Facebook account for this to happen.

According to Google Play, hundreds of millions of devices have installed the Facebook application and a significant portion of those devices are likely affected.

http://www.symantec.com/connect/blogs/norton-mobile-insight-discovers-facebook-privacy-leak

mExMH.jpg

karen lillington talking about facebooks privacy policies in today's irish times.

this reminds me of a sharing issue i have with facebook.

a person i went to college with, had posted 20 pictures or so and they appeared on my facebook. i went to the settings for what i see from this person and i unchecked photos.

however being someone from college, there are a few common friends between us and when one of our common friends commented and a photo and the person in particular also commented on a photo, the posts and the photos both appeared on my feed

so despite unchecking the photo option, i still get the photos as a common friends comments on them. it makes no sense.

although usually facebook privacy issues work the opposite way in that people you don't want to see your updates sees them.

----

just reminds, checked how someone i don't know sees my facebook page. best remove that group membership from being on my page. it is the only information strangers could see. they can't even see my gender :D (nor can my friends, but i think most of them should be able to guess)

-----

believe it or not, but you guys get more posts from me then facebook does.

You should have the option to 'untag' pictures of yourself. And going forward, there's another option where for any photos that you are tagged in so you can approve/reject the tag.

You should have the option to 'untag' pictures of yourself. And going forward, there's another option where for any photos that you are tagged in so you can approve/reject the tag.

i just mean photos of themselves, not photos of me and that is why i blocked them from my feed.

if it was photos of myself, i'd want to know what people were saying :D

i did untag some childhood photos that people had posted of me. no one needs to see those.

though with the group membership (my second point), after joining a group on books, facebook starting reccomending me to join a number of different facebook group but they all had one thing in common, they were all LGBT groups. is facebook trying to hint at something to me:

"come on, we've looked at your taste in music, books and your 6 posts a year, come out already"

this might also be an affect of leaving blank the gender i am interested in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back