Facebook (3 Viewers)

Out of curiosity I went into the friend finder thing and allowed facebook to access my email contacts. I didnt intend adding anyone, I just wanted to see who it would find. I then (about 4 seconds later) got a friend request from someone who shouldnt have been able to track me down by name or email address - is it likely that I have somehow made contact with everyone who the friend finder turned up?

you've given them access to your address book. while I don't think it's automatically made contact with anyone on your behalf, you've given facebook a little more relationship information to play with & made it that bit easier for them to figure out who knows who.

Something odd happened today.
I had sent someone I didn't know a friend request a while back (every so often I look for people from Ireland cities or Irish universities who have their current location set to here, and occasionally I find someone). I had heard nothing back, and assumed as the girl didn't know me, she thought I was a random perv and had ignored it.
Today her posts appeared on my wall - but when I went an checked she still hadn't accepted the friend request.

What the hell!

Also.
I had a conversation with my boss last week.
Now, while he is generally an OK guy, he is very argumentative and in no way sees being completely uninformed about a subject as an impediment to having a very trenchant opinion on the matter.
So it gets on to facebook.
And how I think it's great for keeping in touch with people when I'm abroad. It's great for organising things etc. etc.
He thinks "you can't do anything on it you can't do with email" and "people shouldn't be allowed to put pictures of you up without your permission"
A fun time was had by all.

It made me think though
a. how far the argument as to the good/bad of facebook has moved on in just a few years - obsessing over pictures posted of you is an argument that has been had and lost.
b. how difficult it is for some people to see the transformative nature of some new technologies.

I had sent someone I didn't know a friend request a while back (every so often I look for people from Ireland cities or Irish universities who have their current location set to here, and occasionally I find someone). I had heard nothing back, and assumed as the girl didn't know me, she thought I was a random perv and had ignored it.
Today her posts appeared on my wall - but when I went an checked she still hadn't accepted the friend request.

What the hell!

Also.
I had a conversation with my boss last week.
Now, while he is generally an OK guy, he is very argumentative and in no way sees being completely uninformed about a subject as an impediment to having a very trenchant opinion on the matter.
So it gets on to facebook.
And how I think it's great for keeping in touch with people when I'm abroad. It's great for organising things etc. etc.
He thinks "you can't do anything on it you can't do with email" and "people shouldn't be allowed to put pictures of you up without your permission"
A fun time was had by all.

It made me think though
a. how far the argument as to the good/bad of facebook has moved on in just a few years - obsessing over pictures posted of you is an argument that has been had and lost.
b. how difficult it is for some people to see the transformative nature of some new technologies.

What the hell!

that happened me before. I sent a friend request to a girl I was in college with. Shes not someone who checks their facebook very often and so she never approved (or denied) my friend request. After a while I started seeing her updates (when people posted on her wall, etc). I guess facebook takes the approach of assuming people are grand with each other unless they're told otherwise.

I just scrapped my private group on Facefuck..was getting well William Goldingesque.Back on Thumped full time!LETS RAWK!

there's a thumpeder that i i have a lot (well 17 or something) of mutual friends with who appears in my feed quite regular, no friend request sent or anything.

edit.

so there.

It made me think though

is it possible to agree with b., but not with a.? that is, to see and acknowledge the transformative nature of this new technology (really a new form of media), but to still be uneasy with its implications and therefore avoid joining?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back