Expensive Records (2 Viewers)

Thayl said:
I was just thinking about how when I die some lucky bastard is going to get all my records.

I just better make sure whoever gets them will appreciate them and not sell them all off. You think your vinyl is worth a lot now? Imagine what they'll be worth in 100 years!!

I bags your electro collection.

Paul

Thayl said:
I was just thinking about how when I die some lucky bastard is going to get all my records.

I just better make sure whoever gets them will appreciate them and not sell them all off. You think your vinyl is worth a lot now? Imagine what they'll be worth in 100 years!!

I bags your gay-micro-house collection !ninjaaaa

Rimbaud said:
One record i picked up that got me wondering was Neil Youngs - On the Beach lp.
This record(released in 74) deleted with years, meant to be very hard to come by etc....and its in Borderline records for 14Euro new - and he has multiple copies.The cover is as new, vinyl is as new, the sleeve is a new white paper sleeve(not the original inside sleeve anyway) - and its on ebay now after 5 bids at 30$ with 2/3 more days to go - so i reakon it could go for 50 or so $`s.

Borderline are weird though - alot of bootlegs there i reakon.

I picked On The Beach up for $6 a few years ago. Not M/M but VG/VG
It does have a proper inner sleeve - a background of sand on both sides with the song credits on one side plus a handwritten note from Rusty Kershaw on the other. Final Vinyl/Macs were notorious for selling LPs without the original/correct inner sleeve. That's if they could actually locate the right record when you brought the cover to the counter.:rolleyes: pricks!baggyyyy

The CD release may impact on the value of the LP. The Secret Book and Record Store used have it for something like £40 and so did Freak Out.

Time Fades Away and Journey Through The Past are the last two Neil Young LPs left standing. The latter is pretty dull but Time Fades Away is just as good as On The Beach.

Rimbaud said:
Borderline are weird though - alot of bootlegs there i reakon.

not a bad shop. Had very good quality copies of Talking Heads And The Name Of The Band .... double vinyl

some interesting boots there

Got this recently for $15. Might be worth a bit if it was not in crappy condition. EBAY seller said condition was vg/vg. The sleeve is barely holding together and a one song is unlistenable

flus_a.jpg

This record(released in 74) deleted with years, meant to be very hard to come by etc....and its in Borderline records for 14Euro new - and he has multiple copies.The cover is as new, vinyl is as new, the sleeve is a new white paper sleeve(not the original inside sleeve anyway) - and its on ebay now after 5 bids at 30$ with 2/3 more days to go - so i reakon it could go for 50 or so $`s.

Sounds like it must be a re-issue to me ...of whatever legality.

kevin gallen said:
Got this recently for $15. Might be worth a bit if it was not in crappy condition. EBAY seller said condition was vg/vg. The sleeve is barely holding together and a one song is unlistenable

flus_a.jpg

A really good seller (like for instance.... me) will give you a guide to what those terms actually mean. Most commonly used are the Record Collector or Goldmine standards. In eother case the ratings are a bit like children (they're all above average). Good means bad and Fair means trashed. VG certainly means surface noise to me. That said people will buy a record only rated as good if it is cheap (ish) and rare (ish) just to hear it.

mark winkelmann said:
A really good seller (like for instance.... me) will give you a guide to what those terms actually mean. Most commonly used are the Record Collector or Goldmine standards. In eother case the ratings are a bit like children (they're all above average). Good means bad and Fair means trashed. VG certainly means surface noise to me. That said people will buy a record only rated as good if it is cheap (ish) and rare (ish) just to hear it.

A warning sign to me is if all of a seller's records are rated the same. Unless they look like a single collection it may mean they are not checking them.

Rimbaud said:
Reprise never re-issued it as far as i know - Neil Young had 'issues' with the album.Personal stuff or something.

I know thats why I said of whatever legality. Plenty of vinyl reissue companies basically operate below the legal radar as the runs are so low. Especially the Italian ones like Akarma.

That said since it is now out on CD he may have OK'd a vinyl re-press .

My copy of on the beach has a specially printed sleeve - the inside of which has the pattern of the beach umbrella printed on it which it sounds like aren't in the ones in Borderline. Thus my spidey sense says could be bootlegs as if a huge bunch of mint copies was gonna turn up here.

Those copies of On The Beach are bootlegs. They don't have the inside of the sleeve printed on as already pointed out. I'm sure the card the cover is printed on is pretty thin too. How's the matrix number on the runout groove? if it's scratched out it's definately bootleg,but I'm not sure how boots of big releases like that are. If it has a number scratched in i'm sure you could at least check with the other people who have copies to see if it's the same. But really,borderline is full of "mexican imports" or whatever they call the bootlegs. Tread carefully.

I have the first Thin Lizzy EP "New Day". Apparently it was only ever released in England. I never had it valued I have been told it is worth a pretty penny. Can't find it on the Gemm site. Any other places I could check?

Is it the real thing or a bootleg? If real then it's certainly gonna fetch a few hundred. Depending on condition obviously.

I have Analord 10 which is worth about $400 according to Ebay. I suspect when the binder is complete, the value of the binder + 10 records will be in the $1000 region. NIce little investment.

Dwight said:
I have the first Thin Lizzy EP "New Day". Apparently it was only ever released in England. I never had it valued I have been told it is worth a pretty penny. Can't find it on the Gemm site. Any other places I could check?

just checked my Record Collector Rare Record Price Guide 2000 edition.

Sterling £250

and that was 5 years ago

penexpers said:
I have Analord 10 which is worth about $400 according to Ebay. I suspect when the binder is complete, the value of the binder + 10 records will be in the $1000 region. NIce little investment.

Nah, it's only the binder people are after, the records aren't that limited. It's always the case when something new and limited comes out, the first coupla times it's on eBay it'll go for a mint, but when the fuss dies down you'll be able to pick one up for a far more reasonable price.

Ed said:
The most i've ever paid for an individual album was about 60 quid in irish money.
I have a fair bit of stuff that's worth considerably more than what i paid for it.
Most of my soundtracks are worth a lot more than i paid for em.

Would a mint 'Psycho' soundtrack be worth much?

jackofficer said:
Nah, it's only the binder people are after, the records aren't that limited. It's always the case when something new and limited comes out, the first coupla times it's on eBay it'll go for a mint, but when the fuss dies down you'll be able to pick one up for a far more reasonable price.

So that's why copies of HAB still sell for the same price on ebay as they did a couple of years ago. :cool:

I think the completed binder will be worth a fair bit. There's only 500 copies of the binder (from what I can gather) and how many of them are going to get all 10 records?

penexpers said:
So that's why copies of HAB still sell for the same price on ebay as they did a couple of years ago. :cool:

I think the completed binder will be worth a fair bit. There's only 500 copies of the binder (from what I can gather) and how many of them are going to get all 10 records?

yeah, but the analords 1-9 will be easily available so its only the binder + analord 10 that'll be worth the big dough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back