Expensive Records (3 Viewers)

i have a mint copy of 'rock for light' by bad brains that still has the 1983 press release inside it
and that locust ep that came out on 4 jigsaw shaped 7", which i'm planning on selling in the future cos it's pretty wick.
and the repo man soundtrack on 12" but that's priceless.

MC5 - Org Back in the USA original on Atlantic
Nirvana - Bleach on white vinyl sub pop w/7", only 300 pressed
Suicide - Cheree Promo on Red Star
Pere Ubu - Non-alignment pact one-sided promo
Spacemen 3 - Walking with Jesus & Transparent Radiation Eps on Glass
Stooges - Org Funhouse on Elektra

GEMM is indeed a totally unsuitable benchmark for pricing records, it's just a load of people chancing their arms. It's very rare you'll find anything at all, even second hand stuff their for a bargain price. I think the only benchmark that does exist is eBay. Before eBay you had to take the word of Record Collector, and looking back on some of the prices RC listed, and seeing how much or how little they actually go for on eBay, they were more often than not way off base. If you monitor something for a few months on eBay, I reckon that's the best way of deciding what your record is worth.

From doing this eBay monitoring myself, my most expensive record is worth about 2400 Euros (although it's only been on eBay the once I think), with maybe two or three others that would top the 1000 mark. The really expensive one is a Coil special edition, as are a lot of my other priciest ones. After that I've got a shedload that fetch pretty high prices, like rare Aphex Twin, Skam, Warp, Rephlex, B12, Atom Heart, Muslimgauze etc stuff. All stuff bought for normal prices when they came out. Don't think I could ever sell them all though, so I suppose it doesn't really matter what they're worth.

Ed said:
Dark Days by DJ Shadow seems to vary...

I think I have that on 7", didn't realise it was worth anything at all. I don't even like it that much, ebay here I come!

I have that Nirvana/Jesus Lizard split on blue 7" which I always expect to be worth loads and whenever I see a price for it I'm always dissapointed.

Stan Bowles said:
I think I have that on 7", didn't realise it was worth anything at all. I don't even like it that much, ebay here I come!.

It's a great record, i like the b-side a lot. There's a fair few copies of it on eBay at the moment, including a buy-it-now for 10 dollars, it's not as rare as some dealers would have you believe, most seem to list it as being a limited edition of 500, but i think it was closer to the 5000 mark.

I have This Heat - Made Available on Record.
Its an album of their peel sessions.

I told someone i had it and they didnt believe me, as apparently they said it wasn;t released on record!!!

It doesnt make sense... I definitly have it on lp but cannot find any reference to it on the web.

Its on These records, same as the cd version....

Maybe its worth loads or its a shabby bootleg...

Can anyone help me?

swingkid said:
I have This Heat - Made Available on Record.
Its an album of their peel sessions.

I told someone i had it and they didnt believe me, as apparently they said it wasn;t released on record!!!

It doesnt make sense... I definitly have it on lp but cannot find any reference to it on the web.

Its on These records, same as the cd version....

Maybe its worth loads or its a shabby bootleg...

Can anyone help me?

I have it, too. Got it from Ajax c.97.

nlgbbbblth said:
yeah, that Mushroom record used go for serious money around then.
while babysitting I found a copy in someone's house.
You know the score, busted turntable etc
They said I could have it.

It's a good one.
uh huh. around about the time mine "mysetriously" disappeard?

i'm onto you.

Got Neu! - Neu 2 original lp in temple bar this Sunday!

Very rarely i buy records in Dublin(since i`m never there) - but to come across Neu 2 on Brain/Metronome for 19 Euro - can`t complain at all!

Polygon Window - Polygon Window on vinyl - was offered £ 50 for it about ten years ago.

I also have a Red House Painters CD - inlay, print eveything is Red House Painters but the music is Madonna's Erotica - I cannot find anything about this on the net.

I have a number of rare Cure picture sleeve 7" s - The first 4 or 5 singles from them on Fiction.

Rimbaud said:
Got Neu! - Neu 2 original lp in temple bar this Sunday!

Very rarely i buy records in Dublin(since i`m never there) - but to come across Neu 2 on Brain/Metronome for 19 Euro - can`t complain at all!

Not at all - as long as you are sure its not the mid 90's bootleg version. Has the label and all but if the pressing sounds weak it may be the boot.

I recently spent 35 US dollars for an album by Barbara & Ernie. Its great -well worth the dosh. Recently sold a spare Paul Weller record (Wild Wood gatefold with poster) for 21 Sterling on da bay. Schweet enough given I'd bought it for only about 2 a few years back.

I don't think Teenage Fannies The King is worth too much though I'm afraid.

mark winkelmann said:
Not at all - as long as you are sure its not the mid 90's bootleg version. Has the label and all but if the pressing sounds weak it may be the boot.

Well i`m 99% certain its the real one - the cover is dirty enough but no tears, gatefold with all the info/art inside.Green Brain/Metronome labels - the vinyl is absolutely mint - which was the only thing i thought strange after all these years.

One record i picked up that got me wondering was Neil Youngs - On the Beach lp.
This record(released in 74) deleted with years, meant to be very hard to come by etc....and its in Borderline records for 14Euro new - and he has multiple copies.The cover is as new, vinyl is as new, the sleeve is a new white paper sleeve(not the original inside sleeve anyway) - and its on ebay now after 5 bids at 30$ with 2/3 more days to go - so i reakon it could go for 50 or so $`s.

Borderline are weird though - alot of bootlegs there i reakon.

Rimbaud said:
One record i picked up that got me wondering was Neil Youngs - On the Beach lp.
This record(released in 74) deleted with years, meant to be very hard to come by etc....and its in Borderline records for 14Euro new - and he has multiple copies.The cover is as new, vinyl is as new, the sleeve is a new white paper sleeve(not the original inside sleeve anyway) - and its on ebay now after 5 bids at 30$ with 2/3 more days to go - so i reakon it could go for 50 or so $`s.

Borderline are weird though - alot of bootlegs there i reakon.

Ive got that beaut in minty, mint, mint nick :)

I was just thinking about how when I die some lucky bastard is going to get all my records.

I just better make sure whoever gets them will appreciate them and not sell them all off. You think your vinyl is worth a lot now? Imagine what they'll be worth in 100 years!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back