Eurovision 2021 (1 Viewer)

I thought it was amazing. Some of those public votes must have stung, like Malta. Israel can't have expected any different.

Are we meant to be unironically upset about this?

On the school runs I was hearing people very earnestly explaining the reason that this year was such a disaster was we weren't taking Macedonian pop aesthetics seriously enough. And whenever Joe Duffy or whatever piped up he was instantly shouted down LET ME FINISH MY POINT JOE, which went on for about a quarter of an hour on that one call.

Then there were was a debriefing session where Joe genuinely seemed to furrow his brow and writhe about with the guilt of his lack of depth of knowledge on the song writing process, while OTHER people rang up and said "IT'S ALL VERY WELL TAKING MACEDONIAN TASTE INTO ACCOUNT BUT HAVE PEOPLE PROPERLY CONSIDERED WHAT IS BEING LISTENED TO IN MODERN-DAY LUBLIJANA JOE?"

This was followed by an extended introspection of how RTE just really fucked this one up. "80% Joe. EIGHTY. PER. CENT." And you could hear the rage in the shake of his voice.

Joe was on the edge of tears at this point.

"EIGHTY!!!!"

"I know, I know. But what other choice do with have Barney? Listen, thanks for your call Barney, we've got other callers on the line."

I watched the final.

Interesting was the difference between the 'pro votes' and the text bot votes.

A lot of acts were kinda aping extant artists - ARiana grande, beyonce etc etc, the iceland thing was the only one that sounded like it might actually exist outside of the competition and be enjoyed by people without staging. The aping bit fascinates me, like is it that global (american) cultural saturation has gotten to the point that loads of european countries aren't self aware of this. kinda gave it a kids music pagent sense to me - Like I've a notion i 'dressed' like micheal jackson once when I was about 6, but I wasn't culturaly representing my country at the time.

Anywhooo I've immediately forgotten the Irish entry as it was just a kinda insert recent pop device montage but I'd not really care in that it either stands to represent how shit IReland is at nurturing its own music even nationally and how emaciated we sound trying to pretend to not be IRish.

With the Irish entry, her vocals sounded a bit off and the staging was shit so no surprise she didn’t get through.
I had Italy picked from the start (kinda a Placebo meets White Stripes thing) for the public vote.
There’s a clip of the lead singer “cleaning broken glass off the table” and definitely not snorting coke during the Eurovision. I know I always clear broken glass with my face, and find this totally believable.

Rock is back baby.....Eh....maybe

I Just had a listen. A strange choice. Its not a sing along kind of tune. Not very memorable. It's no Lordi.

I thoroughly enjoyed it although I found the whole thing to be very long. Its good family fun featuring a topic that I like.

I had money on Switzerland to win.

Ct3q0GjXgAA6T-6.jpg

The Italian song that won is shite, but at least that lad snorting coke got on TV, hahahahaha

There were a few good songs in there, the Ukraine one was definitely the best, but yeah it doesn't come across as well on stage. In saying that though, if it was just the public vote, they would have won, wouldn't they?
The voting system is a load of bollocks, just get rid of that stupid 'jury' crap. They all just vote for their mates, at least the public vote seemed basically honest.

I'm glad Switzerland didn't win, the neutral bastards.

But the main thing is, NIL POINTS YOU DIRTY ENGLISH BASTARDS

Yeah the voting is a fucking mess although it did provide some tension,which is what they were hoping for I guess

They did get rid of the jury votes for a while and it wasn't nearly as much fun. The block voting just got even worse. I really liked this system, it was much more dramatic. You got to be enraged by how out of touch the juries were with the will of the people, and then you got to overthrow all that and triumph at the last second!

Jury vote got it right imo Ukrainian entry reminds me of a folk album I have by a Latvian metal group which is not that good. Have to admire the Dutch engineering though.

Like my friend above, I still can't get the Irish chorus out of my head. Now, perhaps they made a mistake by specifically targeting it to middle aged Thumped users, but I'm genuinely baffled that it actually came in last in the semi final vote.

By any metric, the fact that it's an earworm has to be some measure of success, no?

As for Italy, even when watching the votes come in, I couldn't remember a note of the tune. Still can't.

All tremendous fun though!

So many angry Brits saying they got nil points as revenge for Brexit. I believe they honestly believe that too.

Listening to that Ukrainian song made me long to be in a big tent somewhere raving my arse off (sighs)

I thought Icelandic, Swiss, French songs were all v good. Lithuanian too. I hadn't watched it in years and was surprised at how many decent songs there were. My 12-year-old is listening to the Swiss one a lot since

I felt sorry for the English lad. His song was muck, but there were shitter ones, and like ... zero points? Bit of a sting. IIRC he wrote and performed it, so he can't even blame anyone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back