ponderosa

(Retired)
Just as...

Following, ...

Certainly, ...

And so...

Furthermore, ...

Morever, ...

Anyone have any other ones to jazz up these scribblings-o-mine?

Ta.

ed-acti-discovery-guides-im_4741_1.jpg

I try to avoid using any of them. Bare statements of fact or opinion do nicely for me without any of that linking stuff :D

Good luck with the essays though guys. Have a few to work on myself. Might do a few hours this evening after I get home from the day job.

I try to avoid using any of them. Bare statements of fact or opinion do nicely for me without any of that linking stuff :D

It is clear to me to me that speaking in bare statements of fact, which, although it may be considered by some, a useful habbit, is one which I have apparently, lost.

Accountant speak. A shocking habbit - and the sad thing is I can write pages of that shit.

It is clear to me to me that speaking in bare statements of fact, which, although it may be considered by some, a useful habbit, is one which I have apparently, lost.

Accountant speak. A shocking habbit - and the sad thing is I can write pages of that shit.

That is horrifying!

I know - start off bright and churchillian "IT IS CLEAR TO ME", then over the course of a long meandering sentence throw in enough qualifiers that there's enough plausable deniability available to smear over everyone if it happens your advice is 100% wrong.

undeniably

Yes! that's a good one for my porpoises.

Yeah, to many linksies is
but a certain amount is necessary to give it a bit of an oul flow and really drive those arguments home.

I'm experimenting with a more aggressive and sassy-type phrasing in this essay, an I'm right/all the rest of 'em are wrong approach. Could go either way. i.e. tutor saying I'm wrong

I'm experimenting with a more aggressive and sassy-type phrasing in this essay, an I'm right/all the rest of 'em are wrong approach. Could go either way. i.e. tutor saying I'm wrong

I say go for it. I have been very interested to find that my tutors have no problem with me disagreeing with them and everyone else, as long as I can prove my point. Academia is wonderful.

I know - start off bright and churchillian "IT IS CLEAR TO ME", then over the course of a long meandering sentence throw in enough qualifiers that there's enough plausable deniability available to smear over everyone if it happens your advice is 100% wrong.

Good plan. Seems like a good balance :D although I've always avoided saying I or me inessays. Prolly a combination of not having faith in my convictions or being a deferential twit but maybe it's time to mix it up.

(notes use of 'seems' and 'maybe' in the above post. Dammit!)

I thought you were not allowed to use we or I or is that just for science stuff.

I thought you were not allowed to use we or I or is that just for science stuff.

Technically when you are writing about science stuff it should be called a research paper rather than an essay.

wikipedia said:
An essay is a short work of writing that treats a topic from an author's personal point of view. Essays are non-fictional but often subjective; while expository, they can also include narrative. Essays can be literary criticism, political manifestos, learned arguments, observations of daily life, recollections, and reflections of the author.

Edit: I love the term "science stuff" - it's so incongruous :D

Technically when you are writing about science stuff it should be called a research paper rather than an essay.

Indeed.

I actually can't remember the last time I had to write an essay, it's all papers and reports for me. So I'll leave yas to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back