• Start date
  • Replies 72
  • Views 6K
  • Watchers 3
Enya may take album on road for first time | The Sunday Times
Enya may take album on road for first time
Colin Coyle Published: 22 November 2015
01_I22ENYA_1194514k.jpg

THE chief executive of Enya’s record label has hinted that the musician will tour for the first time, after the release of her latest album. Speaking to the Associated Press (AP) last week, Cameron Strang, the chairman and chief executive of Warner Bros, said Enya herself raised the possibility of performing her new record live.

“The assumption was that she wouldn’t be interested,” he said. “We would love to see her tour. I think that there might be some surprising moments coming for people, which we’re excited about.”

Last week Warner Bros said it had nothing to add to Strang’s comments. In the same interview, Enya said performing was “something I enjoy”. The recently released Dark Sky Island is her eighth album.

“Once I start an album, that’s all I will focus on,” she said. “But as soon as I walk away, which was only recently, you start to think, ‘Is this the album that we finally follow with live performances?’ Because we have such a choice of songs from each album.”

The Killiney-based musician, whose last album was And Winter Came . . . in 2008, said her record company had been keen on her touring in the 1980s, but was unwilling to pay the cost of recreating the music in a live setting, with an orchestra and choir.

She never ruled out touring, but said that her method of writing and recording was time-consuming. Since leaving Clannad, which included members of her family, she has written in conjunction with Nicky Ryan, who produces all her music, and Roma Ryan, who writes most of her lyrics. Enya performs most of the instruments and records vocals, which are then layered to create her signature sound, variously described as “new age” and “Celtic”.

“The way we put an album together is very much a performance feel,” Enya told AP last week. “We’re trying to capture that live performance and that’s why I know it would work on stage, and I would love to perform it.”

The video for the first single from Enya’s latest album, Echoes in Rain, depicts her playing a live show. Filmed in the Chapel Royal in Dublin Castle, it shows the singer performing with an all-female string ensemble and choir.

If Enya does tour her new album, there should be no shortage of paying customers. She has sold more than 80m records worldwide, including 26m in America.

On Record, Culture, page 28

TLDR Enya.

I noped out when I didn't recognise any of the names in the first paragraph, assumed they were a made up piss take.

The interviewer seems to be saying "no no, you are not a bland middle of the road pop artist with nothing much to say , you are an avante garde artiste! look, I made you a mixtape for fucks sake"

"At the end of the interview with Enya I hand over an envelope containing a CD I've made of what might be described as Enya Vibes music. It's a collection of tracks by artists that I know are inspired by or have sonic kinship with her, including Gazelle Twin, Carter Tutti, Holly Herndon, Steve Hauschildt, Fatima Al Qadari, Grouper and Polish group Księżyc. It's a bit of an odd situation - I don't even hold with the interview practice of getting selfies with the interviewee, and probably sound rather awkward as I try and describe what's in the envelope and explain exactly who Throbbing Gristle are. Enya after all (and, I think, rather bizarrely) describes Sam Smith and Adele as contemporary favourites. "

This thread is hilarious, and Enya is certainly doing something right.

Just picked up Watermark LP on the cheap and it certainly sounds good. Contrary to the whole “love it or hate it” comments, I actually can’t yet tell if it’s very good or just shite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back