Electric Picnic 2007 thread (1 Viewer)

I thought for the most part, the security were sound geezers, and getting booze in plastic bottles was fine. I saw one dude fling a glass bottle into the crowd at Sonic Youth, poor throwee who got hit with it, but the thrower was done by security. But it was only because some people in the crowd told them about it, yer man was having a smoke or something. So it was definitely needed.

When the security turned was on Sunday when everyone realised the bar closed at 10, and people couldn't get the deposits on their cups back.

Said one to a colleague after her asking what the story was: "Shut up, bitch, move on, the bar's closed".

After the main arena was closed, they all cracked out bottles of beer and got buckled. The annoying thing was none of them knew where anything was, even where they were.

Anywho, other than things like that, I thought the festival was awesome. Best bits being meeting buddies and generally sound people, seeing Deerhoof, remembering all over again how amazing 'The Opposite of Addiction' is at The Jimmy Cake, ah, you know, just seeing loads of totally awesome, and unexpectedly awesome stuff. Bad jazz with the cups, but immediately made up for when I got a last-minute Phad Thai at a stall and yer man gave it to me for free 'cos I couldn't find me wallet.

Eco-cups = nonsense

The fucking things were lying all over the camp-sites this morning. Is it just me or was there a bit more edginess in the air at it this year? Especially late at night? Though we were camping in the yellow campsite, and had a serious crowd of good people around us. Fun times indeed. Bonded with Mr. Pharmacist early Sunday morning...

The unpredictability with the level of searching and decisions made by security can be disconcerting. One will leave you take a plastic bottle in, while another mightn't. Also, I only got patted down twice, while two of my friends were given the full-body once over, had to take their shoes and socks off and even allow the security have a peak down their boxers...

They were both clean as a whistle though....

we were in the yellow campsite too and had the pleasure of people playin mike and the mechanics at 4 in the morning on friday night/saturday morning..thank god the general store on the campsite sold ear plugs!!

and on our way into the electric arena to see somebody the security guard told me i had to take the lid off my sealed coke bottle..so i literally walked to the next entrance and they just let me in..there didnt seem to be much consistency with security which may be my only problem with it..whats sauce for the goose etc. etc.

so there was just the one?
makes sense of the long queues then, last year there was also one between red/blue campsites.
Definitely none in the blue-red campsites. There seemed to be fewer food concessions in that area than last year, queues were horrendous for most if you didn't get in early. The vegetarian/vegan stall had delicious burgers. The Hicks double-sausage hotdog with rasher and onions was great.

Re edginess, I found it okay but definitely louder in the campsite (I was in blue) than last year, particularly on the friday. Though first night's always the most mental night. Heard a few stories of people having phones/wallets ripped off which is a bad buzz.

as I said, getting plastic bottles in seemed to be easy enough but unfair on people like me who just want to have a few cans of beer.

yeah. I just had 2 or 3 cans in my jacket and as I passed the security I had a finished can and put it in their bin in front of them. worked every time.

hope they aren't reading this.

The unpredictability with the level of searching and decisions made by security can be disconcerting. One will leave you take a plastic bottle in, while another mightn't. Also, I only got patted down twice, while two of my friends were given the full-body once over, had to take their shoes and socks off and even allow the security have a peak down their boxers...

They were both clean as a whistle though....
Gang of friends of mine got searched by DS in the capsite saturday evening, went through everything, tents, wallets. One of the lads had a UK bank card cos he's been over there for the last few years and they grilled him about it for a good ten minutes, telling him he'd come over for the weekend to sell drugs and that his cork accent was bullshit. Shower of wankers.

I brought loads of cans in.
The trick is to leave a sacraficial party can in your bag so if you are searched they take that.

I got the impression that they only were being strict on drink untill the stages were finished and after that they didn't care

ooh, that was fun. though i am still tired.

highlights: bjork, !!!, final fantasy, jamie lidell, razhel, sonic youth, the fall (oh yes), iggy, chemical brothers' very entertaining light show, people actually turning up to see us (thanks!), much talking shite with friends at stupid o'clock in the morning, wandering through the woods, mules from the southern comfort bar, pies.

lowlights: the really ropy sound for some acts (i found it very hard to hear electrelane, for instance), the aforementioned 10pm bar closing/no bringing your own booze rule necessitating prohibition-style beer smuggling shenanigans, the sheer number of people weeing in public (seriously, people, there are toilets), failing completely to get into the beastie boys and then not being in, er, an appropriate state of mind for deerhoof, the twunts who had a soundsystem playing some of the worst music in the world just over the fence from the quiet campsite at 6am on sunday morning.

overall, though, top weekend

lowlights: the really ropy sound for some acts (i found it very hard to hear electrelane, for instance),

I couldn't believe how bad the sound was
Modest Mouse was nothing but a howl of feedback
Camera Obscura sounded like a wedding band.

65 Days of Static was so loud I could feel my fillings vibrate

Sound was shit and too loud for most things
It really can't be good when your jeans a flapping back and forth with the bass.

You cold hear every other stage in the ground from the foggy notions tent.

Spiritualized and us getting 1000+ into the 02 Tent for our set at 2am on Friday night were the highlights, Bat For Lashes too.

Lowlights were the crusties beside us that started playing shit reggae at 6.30 am and a
few dodgy characters that cleary had jumped the fence (rough as fuck, no wristbands or laminates) giving us hassle.

And the traffic on the red route which meant it took 7 hours to get down.

Still a great weekend but a few things that need to be sorted for next year.

we were in the yellow campsite too and had the pleasure of people playin mike and the mechanics at 4 in the morning on friday night/saturday morning..thank god the general store on the campsite sold ear plugs!!

€12 for suncream??? I told them I'd risk sunburn, they even admitted it was taking the piss. Actually come to mention it the folks inthe yellow campsite general store were seriously sound folks.

that was deadly but what the fuck has vinnie from the jimmy cake done to his hair?
that was a big talking point in the yellow campsite on sunday.

Great weekend !!1

Met some folks I hadn't seen in a while, saw some great bands, ate some lovely food (veggie burger with hummous and Slurp N Burp toastie :heart::heart:) and went on a big wheel.

My favs were
Jarvis.
Smoking jints by the turf cottage.
Manics. (Motown Junk, From Despair to Where, Motorcycle Emptyness, Faster all incredible post Holy Bible stuff sounding good too)
Modest Mouse (Terrible sound to start with but moved to the middle and it was much better)
Go Team (Danced like a loon)
65 Days Of Static (Wasn't familiar with there stuff was blown away---literally as I almost fell over at one point)

Low points
The sound during Spiritualized (left after 4 songs as all I could hear was muted guitar and vocals)
!!! (Left after 15 mins, the girls vocals and performance banged of technotronic or 2 Unlimited)
Missing the WoP, The Fall and Bats for Lashes due to Sunday come down.

the sheer number of people weeing in public (seriously, people, there are toilets),
Ha, you should go to roskilde, I remember once walking along admiring this incredible looking woman walking sort of alongside/in front of me, all of a sudden she diverted to the left, dropped trou, squatted, and pissed like it were nothing. The danes are nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back