Dublin Racist Riots (2 Viewers)

I agree with Egg here, you can't people this shit. That's what parents are for and they can change about 5% of their kids' minds. I think what you can do is get them to play team sports, do art, maybe actually engage with community, spend less time talking to agitator cunts, and learn for themselves that actually, average people are good and not here to fuck them over. I remember Damon Albarn saying that playing football is the cure to all of life's problems, that Kurt Cobain wouldn't have topped himself if he played football. (Not that I play football, I hate team sports and it's full of jerks haha.)

I'm amazed at how much faith everyone puts in schools. How many thumpeders were taught religion in school? How many practice (or even believe in) that religion now?
i don't believe what i was taught in religion when i was in school, but i believe what i was taught in geography.
which should be taken as evidence for, or evidence against, that what you're taught in school can work?

in short, religion is a bad example to pick. you either believe in a god or not. being taught the catechism cannot be a foil against someone deciding god doesn't exist.

Geography is also a bad example. Recognising the features of glaciation isn't a moral or emotional choice. Recognising cunts is. It also depends on inner strength and other things the classroom can do nothing about, such as family background.

i don't believe what i was taught in religion when i was in school, but i believe what i was taught in geography.
which should be taken as evidence for, or evidence against, that what you're taught in school can work?
If the Church's hold on the schools failed to prevent societal change away from Catholicism, what makes you think schools can cause societal change? I think in a democracy schools reflect societal conventions, they don't drive them

If the Church's hold on the schools failed to prevent societal change away from Catholicism, what makes you think schools can cause societal change? I think in a democracy schools reflect societal conventions, they don't drive them

I dont think you’re comparing like for like there. People moved away from catholicism despite it still being taught in schools

That's exactly what I'm getting at - what's taught in schools doesn't seem to influence which direction society moves in, if it did we'd still all be Catholic
i suspect the argument i had been formulating in my head was responding to an argument others weren't necessarily making. i would agree that 'far right thinking is baaad, m'kay' would be a pretty lame subject to be teaching; and i'm long enough out of school to not know what is currently taught.
maybe it's covered by CPSE, but a decent dollop of critical thinking, a bit of philosophy and the like would be good.

on the topic, when i was staying with my folks recently, my six year old niece was there and doing her religion homework. one of the bits she was doing was an exercise where she had to list some people she knew who had died, so she could pray for them. she was complaining that she didn't know anyone who had died, so didn't know how to answer it.

on the topic, when i was staying with my folks recently, my six year old niece was there and doing her religion homework. one of the bits she was doing was an exercise where she had to list some people she knew who had died, so she could pray for them. she was complaining that she didn't know anyone who had died, so didn't know how to answer it.
I’m guessing she doesn’t go to an Educate Together.

Its on. McGregor is going to cruise up the quays on his yacht, where a chauffeur driven solid gold diamond encrusted lambo will be waiting to take him to the dail and he's gonna slap da bleedin head off yer man.

She should have simply picked someone to pray for the death of instead.

And maybe constructed a small doll to act as an effigy. And then bring the effigy into school, and stick pins into it, while chanting.

That should be close enough to the spirit of the assignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back