Dublin Racist Riots (1 Viewer)

Honestly man this sounds lovely, but it's just as impossible as the "close twitter" idea. Who's going to teach them? How are they going to teach them? Is some nice old lady going to go around knocking on doors in Ballybough saying "would you like me to teach you how to distinguish between fantasy and reality"?

Man you are a pessimist sometimes :p. Media literacy training already exists, and there are existing workshops on how internet agitators work too. People learn all the time. It took less than a generation to convince people in In northern Ireland that is 100% normal, acceptable and human to have a cross religion marriage.

Man you are a pessimist sometimes :p. Media literacy training already exists, and there are existing workshops on how internet agitators work too. People learn all the time. It took less than a generation to convince people in In northern Ireland that is 100% normal, acceptable and human to have a cross religion marriage.
peoples should have to get a license before they can go on the internets

Kinda like this scenario
cover (1).jpg

Seriously? If Leo Varadkar announced today that Irish people's access to the internet was going to be restricted from now on, and it'd cost €X million quid to hire the people to do it - how'd you think that'd go for him, votes-wise?

Not that difficult really, here are only so many internet service providers in Ireland, including mobile.

Want to use it? Use a vpn

Edit: I see scutter made my points already

Not that difficult really, here are only so many internet service providers in Ireland, including mobile.

Want to use it? Use a vpn

Edit: I see scutter made my points already

reminds me I saw someone had scrawled 'castrate varadquere' on the side of connolly station.
took me a few mins to figure out who they wanted to de-bag.

state-funded education on how to use the internet is just wildly unlikely to work.
in conversation with my child, two days ago, about what his state funded education is teaching him, in summary:

We're writing chat bots!

What are chat bots?

On the internet, there's all these chat bots, and they try to steal information about you, but it's just a computer. They just want to steal information about you.

And how are you writing chatbots?

Python!

<Details about how they're doing it in python seem very fishy - but pressing on>

So how do you make the bots?

We keep writing the questions, and then writing answers for the bot, and the bot learns.

<I'm guessing some kind of AI training, still unsure of details.>

This was two days ago. So, no, they are teaching the kids exactly this type of stuff, at a young age, in second level school.

I have very little idea what growing up in Dublin 1 would be like.
Places I lived until 22 were in countryside all 5+ miles from a town and at least 2 miles from a village.
But at least we had a garden or fields to run around or play football in and trees to climb.

Isolation was normal but I'm a loner mostly. Often I didn't meet any school friends at all over the summer.

Money wasn't much help, there was nothing to do and nowhere to go locally unless you were good at hurling.

By the time I was 17 I thought being on the dole was a great option. Still do.
If I have my own bedroom, internet and good runners and without having to work - Great, I'd take that.
I have far more as it happens.

People living in cramped conditions during the pandemic must have had a hellish time. That is the one thing that I could not have coped with.

While I am on about bogger v inner city relations -
Mattie McGrath, the Healy Rae's and the independent rural TDs group all were indignant in Dail last night that they were called out on continually placating the far right.
One by one they rejected the term and any association with it and rejected that the far right had orchestrated the riot. It was just local hooligans they all claimed.

The Kerry bros. Left immediately after their bloc finished speaking.

they are teaching the kids exactly this type of stuff, at a young age, in second level school.
I don't think creating training data for ML is what @ann post meant when he was talking about teaching people not to take the bait on the internet. I'm working with ML myself right now, obvs that doesn't stop me arguing on thumped

Look at how your kids' schools work. The best you can hope for with something like that is it'll be a module in CSPE taught by a teacher who's done a short training course during the summer so they can get a few days off during the year. I mean maybe that might have an effect if the teacher is good and the kids are receptive, but given my own kids' attitudes to CSPE it's way easier to imagine the teacher just dialing it in and the kids being zoned out. And then there's the question of who's training the teachers in the first place - is their model of responsible internet citizenship even vaguely similar to yours?

School in Irishtown, out by the reclaimed land. I'm not criticizing the school, It was a good school.
That was just what we were told, maybe with the idea that you have to start preparing to leave at some point. Which I guess I did.
Ringsend Tech - we had lads in headhunting for apprentices in 3rd year. Get a trade. That’ll do you. Everyone else? On your own. What’s that, you want to do honours maths? Yeah, no, we don’t do that here. You want CAO forms? Sure yeah ummm ok. They had enough students to fill five 1st year classes, but fewer than 20 of us sat the leaving.

Meanwhile they had a few hundred “pre university” (aka repeat leaving cert) students from other parts of Dublin trying to get into UCD TCD etc.

Good times.

Honestly man this sounds lovely, but it's just as impossible as the "close twitter" idea. Who's going to teach them? How are they going to teach them? Is some nice old lady going to go around knocking on doors in Ballybough saying "would you like me to teach you how to distinguish between fantasy and reality"?
Parts of Scandinavia teach social media awareness and engagement in the school curriculum now, afaik.

Ringsend Tech - we had lads in headhunting for apprentices in 3rd year. Get a trade. That’ll do you. Everyone else? On your own. What’s that, you want to do honours maths? Yeah, no, we don’t do that here. You want CAO forms? Sure yeah ummm ok. They had enough students to fill five 1st year classes, but fewer than 20 of us sat the leaving.

Meanwhile they had a few hundred “pre university” (aka repeat leaving cert) students from other parts of Dublin trying to get into UCD TCD etc.

Good times.
The real clowns didn't do either of those things, and started internet forums instead

Good times.
In 1991 my Tipperary village (sorry "small town") secondary school no one sat leaving cert higher maths. Simply no one thought they could hack it that year. There was about 60 in the class. No fault of the teacher who always handled higher maths, she was brilliant and a good sort.
Sadly died of cancer within a decade.

My maths is about 14 y.o. level.
Edit: not as bad as my typing though.

In 1991 my Tipperary village (sorry "small town") secondary school no one sat leaving cert higher maths. Simply no one thought they could hack it that year. There was about 60 in the class. No fault of the teacher who always handled higher maths, she was brilliant and a good sort.
Sadly died of cancer within a decade.

My maths is about 14 y.o. level.
Edit: not as bad as my typing though.

Honours maths is a bad example surely?

We were told that if you're aiming for 600 points, and aren't aiming to do physics or something in Uni, then don't do higher level maths, it's too much.

Over here maths is actually three different subjects, I don't understand. Ordinary level A2 for me, did each exam in about 45 minutes. Utterly lost beyond that level.

I'd rather spend the money on teaching people to not take the bait every single day they go on the internet. facebook was the arena for trump/russian misinformation era, now supposed irish patriots are superimposing a russian/american/british model on twitter in ireland. Close twitter and they'll move to the next arena, teach people to deal with it and they wont.
I think about this all the time

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back