Dublin Racist Riots (2 Viewers)

Gript have apparently named the wrong guy as the attacker last week.

If I was a media organisation with shadowy funding that they don't like to reveal I'd be wary of publishing massively defamatory stories that might give justification for having your books opened up to see how much is there to take.

School is ok at teaching people skills like reading and writing, or plain old facts like the names of Irish mountain ranges. "Moral" stuff, like whether pre-marital sex (or being gay) is ok, or whether immigration is ok - IMO those are in a different class, and the school curriculum has v little influence

What's morality got to do with checking facts, sources and being aware of more sinister operators?

All I've been talking about is tooling up the kids with an awareness of potential bullshit online. Giving them the skills as you said yourself

Slightly related.

A conversation in the staffroom yesterday mentioned kids being taken out of our school for another and parents objecting in general over a rainbow flag in the school.

Schools need support of the parents too.

Slightly related.

A conversation in the staffroom yesterday mentioned kids being taken out of our school for another and parents objecting in general over a rainbow flag in the school.

Schools need support of the parents too.

Imagine getting upset over a rainbow flag.

Could it be bullshit perhapes?

What's morality got to do with checking facts, sources and being aware of more sinister operators?

All I've been talking about is tooling up the kids with an awareness of potential bullshit online. Giving them the skills as you said yourself
The "more sinister" part, and deciding which sources to believe. Conspiracy nuts, or even flat-earthers, have no shortage of sources

Unlikely. In my kids' school there are teenagers who'll argue that evolution is not real. Eventually the science teacher has had to fall back on "I don't care what you believe, if you want to get marks on your science exam you'll have to know this"

FWIW I actually agree that programs like this one Reading Wikipedia in the Classroom – Wikimedia Foundation would be fantastic to have taught in schools ... it's just can't see it preventing things like what we're discussing in this thread
Love reading Wikipedia now and encyclopedia when I was growing up.
There wasn't many books in our house.
There used to be great education programmes on Channel 4 in the mornings about 20 years ago - they'd show things like Beckett's plays without words (w/ Barry McGovern).

Love reading Wikipedia now and encyclopedia when I was growing up.
There wasn't many books in our house.
There used to be great education programmes on Channel 4 in the mornings about 20 years ago - they'd show things like Beckett's plays without words (w/ Barry McGovern).
I read Wikipedia every single day.
And it's all because of the set of World Book encyclopedia' we had in the gaf. I was glued to them yokes.

The amount of useless information in my skull is positively brobdingnagian

I’d well believe it. I’ve heard enough gobshite parents around here getting their knickers in a twist about trans and gay rights. “I’ve no problem with it but I don’t need it thrown in my face” is a common complaint among latent homophobes

I’d well believe it. I’ve heard enough gobshite parents around here getting their knickers in a twist about trans and gay rights. “I’ve no problem with it but I don’t need it thrown in my face” is a common complaint among latent homophobes

'Keep it out of the shkools like'

Yeah homophobes

Mate I used to work with used to refer to quiet days as ‘Wikipedia days’
When Raquel Welch (nee Tejeda) died I had great fun reading about many Bolivian folks on wiki including:
Raquel's cousin Lidia the first woman president of Bolivia in 1979-80.

Lidia Tejeda Gueiler was quickly overthrown by the army and her cousin General Luis Garcia Maza Tejeda replaced her as president. He was later jailed for human Rights abuses after being extradited from Brazil.

Sosa in Scarface was based on Bolivian cocaine kingpin Roberto Suarez Gomez.

Tragically American Paul Shenar who played Sosa in Scarface was dead by the end of the 80's.

Jeremy Brett (1980s Sherlock Holmes) was Paul Shenar's boyfriend in the 70's.

TIP:
Remember to read wiki entries in other languages. just use Google translator.

TIP:
Remember to read wiki entries in other languages. just use Google translator.
Note that these are completely unrelated to the English articles, except for the "infobox" on the top right of the pages (these are read from wikidata). A wikipedia in any language has its own community with its own rules that create articles independently of the other languages

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back