Drum sticks and drum keys!! (1 Viewer)

shower another shower

What kind do you use? May seem futile when there's so much hardship in the holiday season, but I use Promark 747 Neil Pearts! The only job!
Also have a Sabian drum key that I've had for 24 years. It stays in my pocket, on its own. It probably isn't worth much, but its always there, and it's mine. Nearly lost it it on more than one occasion, but it always turns up. Hope to give it to my son when he's older, even if he doesn't need it. Probably won't think much of it. Its only a bit of steal with a corporate stamp on it. But it will be his, and hopefully, he'll know how much it means/meant to me. Its in my pocket now..|..|

you are the officially the first person I've ever come across who's the slightest bit sentimental about a drum key! personally, I can't hang onto one for more than fifteen minutes... Oddly the guitarist I play with always has one so I guess I don't need to.

oh wait, I borrowed it off him. so I've probably lost that one too.. haha.

sticks are interesting; getting the right weight is crucial. going through a MAJOR stick dilemma at the moment. I've been using 5a vic firths for a while, but I was using some 7a sized ones recently, and even though they're too light I could kind of do a lot more with them. logic might suggest 6a sized sticks, but according to the folks in the local drumshop, they're a bit 'weird' and are hard to find. hmm...

you are the officially the first person I've ever come across who's the slightest bit sentimental about a drum key!
Ah, yea. I think it means even more to me than my '64 Ludwig. Gave it to my missus once as a gesture, but made her give it back to me the next day. Was worried she'd lose it or something.
sticks are interesting; getting the right weight is crucial. going through a MAJOR stick dilemma at the moment. I've been using 5a vic firths for a while, but I was using some 7a sized ones recently, and even though they're too light I could kind of do a lot more with them. logic might suggest 6a sized sticks, but according to the folks in the local drumshop, they're a bit 'weird' and are hard to find. hmm...
Have you tried 5B's? Or a 5A Regal Tip? They always seem smaller than they actually are.

Also have a Sabian drum key that I've had for 24 years. It stays in my pocket, on its own. It probably isn't worth much, but its always there, and it's mine. Nearly lost it it on more than one occasion, but it always turns up. Hope to give it to my son when he's older, even if he doesn't need it. Probably won't think much of it. Its only a bit of steal with a corporate stamp on it. But it will be his, and hopefully, he'll know how much it means/meant to me. Its in my pocket now..|..|

This reminds me of the Christopher Walken scene in Pulp Fiction.

This reminds me of the Christopher Walken scene in Pulp Fiction.
You've seen the key. Maybe never took much notice of it. It sits there on a lug on my floor tom when we rock. Now, Hugh, you may have a better understanding of what it means to me.
rock on, brother.

Held onto one drum key for years coz it was on my keys but then lost the keys. Went through about ten loose ones since (all of which seemed to be just given to me) now ive a nice pearl one on me keys, im not a pearl fan at all, to me they just seem to make big clumsy drums for fat metallers but its a nice key. Stick wise Im most comfortable with Zildjian 5B's which you only seem to be able to get in Instrumental on dublins north quays I like 5A's for snappier drum n' bass sorta beats but they lack the heft required for my normal drumming. Also recently came to the conclusion that recording wise, nylon tipped sticks are the only way to go.

I've a flappy piece of leather fob yoke on my keyring that contains my cartman guitar pic.
One day I will do a Christopher Walken with it. But not today.

Ive got a pro-mark ratchet drum key/screwdriver yoke. Its the biz. Im using vic firth 5b's for the past year for price reasons. Im not a big lover of vic firth but i can get 12 pairs of em for 75euro on thomann. Nicest stick i ever played was a pro-mark "the natural" 5b but they are 11euro a pair. Was using 2a's for 2 yrs and loved them. Only started using them by accident as twas all shop had but after the two years my cymbals payed the price and i wrote of two zildjian avedis 19" rock crashes within a month of each other. Thats why im back to the 5b's.

What Drum heads ye on:
Im on Remo CS Black dot for the toms, Remo CS Coated Batter for snare, Remo ambassador hazy for snare side & Aquarian SuperKick for Kick.

Any of you pricks wear drum gloves? Pricks.

I think they are comical. Headset mics for drummers too.

Here is a pic of my kit:

1974 ludwigs. (snare is two yrs old last week)

mail

I have a shit kit, shitty cymbals and use 5b sticks. My bass pedal is vuury nice though. Now that I think of it so is my Ride (cymbal)

Drummer in my band uses a remo "pure sex" kit with lamborginis on it. It's an eight or something piece but we only use the five pieces. I must get a pic of it for yas.

It belongs to some one else btw.

7a all the way. if theyre not big enough, turn em upside down!
or elvin jones. they is some good sticks.
funny.. I just ended up buying a pair of 7As there; one thing I've noticed about vic firth sticks (although it's probably the case with all stick brands) is that pairs can vary
enormously in weight, which I guess makes sense considering they all come from different trees; anyway, after pondering over four different sticks for over half an hour, including a pair of elvin jones pro marks coincidentally, (they're very long aren't they), I found a nice solid pair of vic firth 7As, which I'll be trying out in two hours or so. whoop!

promark seem like a better stick. I used them a long long time ago, think I recall them breaking a lot less frequently. there was a bill bruford signature pair there that felt veeery nice; light but long. felt good. but I decided to spare myself a euro and go for the more familiar option in this instance. next time though!

I bought a pair of regal tip sticks a while back that i still use occassionally; they're varnished though which is kind of rediculous. too slippy.. actually I used them at a gig about 2 weeks ago and I dropped a stick. twice. in the same song. maybe I'll get some sandpaper to the fuckers...

I bought a pair of regal tip sticks a while back that i still use occassionally; they're varnished though which is kind of rediculous. too slippy.. actually I used them at a gig about 2 weeks ago and I dropped a stick. twice. in the same song. maybe I'll get some sandpaper to the fuckers...

I bought few pairs of those exact ones. Regal tip is written in blue. I got 5a's and they were really a 5b. They were a savage stick with the exception of the varnish. I would love a few pairs in natural finish. I still cant bring my self away from 12 pairs vic firth for 75 euro from thomann. Too good a deal to make me change brand again... but, DW have just launched a stick range called DW 3 Drumstick: They are supposed to be very good quality ccording to this months modern drummer. You get three sticks for the price of two. Check em out: http://www.wwbw.com/DW-3-Drumsticks-With-Ball-Wood-Tip-i756608.music

I bought few pairs of those exact ones. Regal tip is written in blue. I got 5a's and they were really a 5b. They were a savage stick with the exception of the varnish. I would love a few pairs in natural finish. I still cant bring my self away from 12 pairs vic firth for 75 euro from thomann. Too good a deal to make me change brand again... but, DW have just launched a stick range called DW 3 Drumstick: They are supposed to be very good quality ccording to this months modern drummer. You get three sticks for the price of two. Check em out: http://www.wwbw.com/DW-3-Drumsticks-With-Ball-Wood-Tip-i756608.music

I bought four pairs of vic firth 5Bs for 25 today. I hope our drummer likes them or I'll have to start playing drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back