Dozens Of Men Queue To Shake Convicted Rapist's Hand. (1 Viewer)

evil bandit

Website
Visit site
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1217/1224260840003.html

DOZENS of people queued inside a Co Kerry courthouse yesterday to shake hands and sympathise with a man who was jailed for five years for sexually assaulting a woman in Listowel.
Danny Foley (35), a nightclub bouncer, Meen, Listowel, was sentenced to seven years with the final two suspended by Judge Donagh McDonagh in the Circuit Criminal Court in Tralee. He had been found guilty two weeks ago of sexually assaulting a woman who was discovered by a Garda patrol in a semi-conscious state and naked from the waist down alongside a skip in a car park early on June 15th, 2008.
In her victim impact statement, the woman spoke of being “judged” in north Kerry, but said she was not sorry for telling the truth. Everyone in Listowel knew who she was, despite the press respecting her anonymity, she said.
“Even though my name has never been mentioned in the press, Listowel is not a big town and everyone knows it’s me,” the woman said. “I feel as if people are judging me the whole time. I’ve been asked by people I know if I am sorry for bringing Dan Foley to court. I am not sorry for it. All I did was tell the truth.”
About 50 people, mostly middle-aged and elderly men, queued yesterday to shake hands with the convicted man and hug him tearfully after he was brought from the cell to the dock, before Judge McDonagh entered the courtroom.
Before passing sentence, the judge criticised a character statement made by Castlegregory parish priest Fr Seán Sheehy. The priest had said Foley was always “respectful of women”, but Foley’s actions “gave the lie” to Fr Sheehy’s statement, the judge said.
Foley, who had been celebrating his 34th birthday on the night of the offence, had denied the charge. He told gardaí he had “found your wan” after he had gone to relieve himself near a skip at 3.50am. However CCTV footage showed him carrying her to the skip area. It also emerged he had met her earlier in a nightclub.
Judge McDonagh said the offence was at the middle to upper end of sexual assault. He noted that little or no remorse had been shown, nor any apology given to the victim, “surprisingly in the plea for mitigation”. He ordered that Foley be placed on the sex offenders’ register for life.

I heard the priest on Newstalk this morning, saying that he had no remorse in shaking his hand and that it was a miscarriage of justice???? When the presenter asked him about the victim sitting there and seeing people shake her attackers hand he just dismissed it and said he didn't even think of her.

It’s quite upsetting to think that this would happen in this day and age, it’s something that you’d imagine happening in the 50s or 60s but maybe I’m just being a naive city slicker.

Look at the big, rapey Jack Torrence head on him

1224260838823_1.jpg

More here
http://www.independent.ie/national-...supporting-sex-offender-in-court-1979386.html

I was horrified when I heard it, but then you just had to listen to the bloody parish priest speaking on the radio about it, this morning. Seems the attitudes and behaviours seen in 1950s Ireland aren't all in the past.

His girlfriend spoke on the radio too defending him to the hilt.

Sure the priest probably gave him tips the night before!

This story is disgusting. Bleedin mucksavages

Well this Priest hasn't done him or the church any favours and in the long run it's people like this priest that will further deplete the Catholic churchs' standing in Ireland.

time for more countmeout.ie plugging maybe..

the examiner gives a slightly more colourful version of events

People queued to shake this sex attacker’s handBy Donal Hickey Tralee
Thursday, December 17, 2009

IT was a scene that could have come from a John B Keane play – a bizarre gesture of support by some plain people of Kerry for a convicted sex offender.

Danny Foley, of Meen, Listowel, sat in the dock at the Circuit Criminal Court, in Tralee, yesterday, awaiting sentence for sexually assaulting a woman, having been found guilty by a jury almost two weeks ago.

A group of 50 people, mainly men and said to be neighbours and friends, trooped into the courtroom and marched up to the accused, in single file. Each man shook his hand – some hugged him warmly, with tears in their eyes. It was witnessed by the 24-year-old victim who cut a lonely figure in the front seat of the public gallery. Dressed in black, she sat with a female garda, a counsellor from the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre and a friend.

All the well-wishers then seated themselves in the public gallery. Judge Donagh McDonagh, who had not seen what happened, emerged from his chambers a few minutes later.

Foley, a 35-year-old bouncer who had been in custody since being convicted, then stood up.

Before handing down a seven-year prison sentence, with the last two years suspended, the judge told him he had lied about several things and there was something "particularly odious" about the allegation he and the victim had engaged in oral sex.

In the witness box, the victim calmly read from her victim impact statement in which she spoke of being judged in north Kerry for pursuing her case, but she was not sorry for telling the truth.

Parish priest, Fr Seán Sheehy, a character witness for Foley, said he had always struck him as having the highest respect for women, suggesting there wasn’t an abusive bone in Foley’s body.

The moment sentence was handed down, the accused’s mother began to scream loudly. The judge ordered she be removed from the courtroom.

Vera O’Leary, director of Kerry Rape Crisis Centre, called for a system to protect victims of sex offences from intimidation in a courtroom.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Thursday, December 17, 2009

“I just wanted to support him and let him know he wasn’t alone,” Fr Sheehy said. When asked how he felt about supporting a man found guilty of sexual assault, the priest said “the fact is, it was an alleged attack... but the jury convicted him.”

Cunt. (fucking reeks of this 'mental reservation' bullshit)

He added that had he known the victim, he would have shook her hand too. “My Christian responsibility was to the person I know,” he said.

Cunt. No 'Christian' responsibilities for strangers, even if raped?

Utterly disgusting. No wonder why some city types think small Ireland is still in the fifties.

Any one got any spare bolt guns lying around?

Line em all up like cattle....

Seems to me that Kerry can be held up as an example of everything that is wrong with this country. Don't they have Jackie Healy Rae? And wasn't it a Kerry TD who spoke about being able to drive better when drunk? And now they're rapist fanboys? (Sorry chaps, sexual assaulters, not rapists, totally different)
This was on the Joe Duffy show today not too long after the news at one spoke to parishoners of the Limerick Bishop who had just resigned. A lot of them were saying how sad they were and what a great and humble man he was.
A hard rain is gonna fall, and wipe the scum from the streets...(yeah, right)
Whatever happened to baying mobs? There isn't enough baying going on. We need fiery stick wielding gangs marauding up to bishops houses and hanging rapist priests from trees. Justice in other words. A baying mob too much to ask for?

Whatever happened to baying mobs? There isn't enough baying going on. We need fiery stick wielding gangs marauding up to bishops houses and hanging rapist priests from trees. Justice in other words. A baying mob too much to ask for?

nah, you really dont want to give those guys an excuse to have more martyr's. they'd be canonised before the turn of the decade if you did.

Seems to me that Kerry can be held up as an example of everything that is wrong with this country. Don't they have Jackie Healy Rae? And wasn't it a Kerry TD who spoke about being able to drive better when drunk? And now they're rapist fanboys? (Sorry chaps, sexual assaulters, not rapists, totally different)
This was on the Joe Duffy show today not too long after the news at one spoke to parishoners of the Limerick Bishop who had just resigned. A lot of them were saying how sad they were and what a great and humble man he was.
A hard rain is gonna fall, and wipe the scum from the streets...(yeah, right)

witchhunt.gif

This is disgusting and shameful but I wouldn't imagine Kerry is the only county in Ireland where this happens. The whole country is fucked in the head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back