Dozens Of Men Queue To Shake Convicted Rapist's Hand. (2 Viewers)

did that priest step down or something?

priests are great..i'm sure he was thinking 'what would jesus do?'..'jesus would shake his hand'...'jesus would move this child-abusing priest to another parish'...jesus...reckon he's lost more souls than he's saved

Just heard an interview with the victim on Marian Finucane.You would really have to admire her strength of character to stand up and give her victim impact statement while people queued up the sympathise with a convicted rapist. But this is not a small town thing, I'm sure this happens in communities in Dublin too, where women are tarred as slappers, and therefore not believed when they accuse someone of rape.

But this is not a small town thing, I'm sure this happens in communities in Dublin too, where women are tarred as slappers, and therefore not believed when they accuse someone of rape.

I rekon the local reaction to this case has a lot more to do with class rather than sex. From this independent article:

Dressed in a pink and grey Adidas track suit, she was led into the room by director of the Kerry Rape Crisis Centre Vera O'Leary.

She said she had felt suicidal but her toddler son had kept her going.

So we have a townie who dresses like a knacker in court and a young single mother. Having been brought up in Boggerville I can totally see how the country folk are completely suspicious of her claims and why the whole court meet'n'greet thing arose.

I rekon the local reaction to this case has a lot more to do with class rather than sex. From this independent article:

So we have a townie who dresses like a knacker in court and a young single mother. Having been brought up in Boggerville I can totally see how the country folk are completely suspicious of her claims and why the whole court meet'n'greet thing arose.

Yeah in the Sunday Independent someone made a comment saying that this woman "was pure town, her family always lived in council houses".

Maybe they were just giving him suggestions for economical christmas presents for his bird.

Is that what all this is about then? Not "old men approve of rape" but "culshies hate townies"?

edit. Not having a go at you, TM - it actually seems pretty plausible to me

Here, you know the way that all the Listowelers are saying "There's two sides to this" but won't say what the other side is? Has anyone got any idea what they're talking about?

(I mean a real idea now, not "they probably thought ...")

Here, you know the way that all the Listowelers are saying "There's two sides to this" but won't say what the other side is? Has anyone got any idea what they're talking about?

(I mean a real idea now, not "they probably thought ...")

Danny wouldn't/couldn't have done it.

I don't get it - is she from Listowel or not? Just because she wears a tracksuit doesn't mean she's a 'townie'. And, not to digress from the real issue here, of course, but just because someone's not from Dublin doesn't mean they're small-minded either, sheesh. I've met more small-minded city folk than I care to mention.

And, not to digress from the real issue here, of course, but just because someone's not from Dublin doesn't mean they're small-minded either, sheesh. I've met more small-minded city folk than I care to mention.

southsiders i'd imagine

I'm from boggerville and I live on the Southside. The odds aren't good. I fink wat people are saying is that you're more likely to get 50 people shaking a sex offender's hand in a small country town than in Dublin or Cork etc., due to the nature of the social set up, not that they're all a bunch of nuts. The fact that I have six fingers on each hand has nothing to do with it.

Cue Deliverance music.

It’s quite upsetting to think that this would happen in this day and age, it’s something that you’d imagine happening in the 50s or 60s but maybe I’m just being a naive city slicker[/FONT]

This story is disgusting. Bleedin mucksavages

that's culchies for ya, hah?

This just in : people in Kerry are lunatics.

Utterly disgusting. No wonder why some city types think small Ireland is still in the fifties.

The whole thing is disgusting. At a time when all the horrific details about clerical sex abuse comes out and we silently hope that this sort of thing would never happen again a small shit village mentality rears its ugly head and shows us that we haven’t come far at all.

Another madhouse.

Good call re Dublin. If you think small, rural towns aren't insular places where a minority of people don't have some pretty awful attitudes to crime and women, then you're not from one. I've heard people stick up for the character of a guy who murdered his girlfriend. You just don't tend to get that in urban centres as people don't all know each other/be related to each other.

I'm not from a small town, but I have passed through many to hold my nose, pat people on their flatcapped heads and coo over their smallholdings so, you know, I think I know what I'm talking about.

Seriously though, I do get it and there'd be certain towns I could happily avoid for the rest of my life so horrible were the populace.

I'm from boggerville and I live on the Southside. The odds aren't good. I fink wat people are saying is that you're more likely to get 50 people shaking a sex offender's hand in a small country town than in Dublin or Cork etc., due to the nature of the social set up, not that they're all a bunch of nuts. The fact that I have six fingers on each hand has nothing to do with it.

Cue Deliverance music.

wow.

Agreed. I think the above is what you might call a small town mentality. Dublin being that small town.

i didnt want to say that for fear of being -3'd by dubs. but now that you've taken the heat for it...

ireland is a tiny country, full of tiny towns and dublin is either a tiny city or (as a native explained to me on saturday) 50 tiny villiages stuck together acting as a city. everyone in this country is from a small town, or if your a native dub/corkonian/rimlickian/galwegian then your parents are from a small town. pretending your from a major city only really washes with extreme rennecks like me, anywhere else in the world, we're all from the arsehole of nowhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back