does anyone on here go to mass? (1 Viewer)

Miss Piggy said:
usen't the free masons be stonemasons too?

Depends on the story you believe. If you go along with the English freemasonary history (which is bollocks becase the oldest lodge in Ireland predates whenthe Grand Lodge in England say Freemasonary started) then yes.

If you go along with the Dan Browne style theory then no.

eucrid eucrow said:
I can somewhat appreciate that and also what Miss Piggy was saying about funerals and things not being the place to make a show of your own beliefs, but at the same time all these things that are done at particular times within a sermon and done so for a particular reason. For example, standing when the priest enters to show your respect (fuck that), kneeling during the consecration to symbolise gratitude at being in its presence (fuck that), standing during the 'Our Father' in order to show how much we believe in its content (fuck that), etc.

As I said, I can appreciate the argument that if you are going to a religious service of any kind you should make the effort to take part out of respect, but at the same time I'm not going to be a hypocrite for anyone and the respect I have for the Catholic church is minimal anyway.

yeah fuck the priest or whatever, but one goes to these things to show respect/ solidarity/ compassion/ friendship for the bereaved (or the newly wedded or newly parented etc). it is the chuches church afterall, the priest has more business there than the average non-believer. It just seems a bit childish and silly to go to these things just to show disrespect to the wrong people at the wrong time.

what about that catholic crowd, the knights of columbanus? what are they about?

for years i refused to go into a church after the typical christian upbringing. but i started to go to funerals a few years ago after few people i knew died prematurely my grandad also died last year and it was nice to meet my relatives as i don't live near them. but apart from standing up when everyone else does i refuse to kneel, say prayers, sing and get communion. i hope funerals will be the only reason i get dragged into this in future.

anyone want to have a critical black mass where we drive cars around in the cycle lanes?

the year is one hail satan vroom vroom etc

i love how the talk of religion has segued into chatting about cricket.

ya.

who should we use as stumps? i think dakota fanning, for one. anyone else?

The Irish cricket team isn't that bad. We're up there with the likes of Holland.
Probably on a level with some English county teams.

If you ask me, I think we should use the three pillars of capitalism: greed, intolerance and injustice as the stumps.
And as revolutionaries the ball we are bowling is the planet Earth.
And up to now it has been batted away by the bat of Western governments - which has been made by wood that has come from the rape of the rain forest.

But we need to keep bowling, for one day we will strike down those three stumps and manage to end the innings of the batsman that is Corporations and Unjust Governments.

MacFlecknoe said:
The Irish cricket team isn't that bad. We're up there with the likes of Holland.
Probably on a level with some English county teams.

If you ask me, I think we should use the three pillars of capitalism: greed, intolerance and injustice as the stumps.
And as revolutionaries the ball we are bowling is the planet Earth.
And up to now it has been batted away by the bat of Western governments - which has been made by wood that has come from the rape of the rain forest.

But we need to keep bowling, for one day we will strike down those three stumps and manage to end the innings of the batsman that is Corporations and Unjust Governments.

you golden God.

Miss Piggy said:
It just seems a bit childish and silly to go to these things just to show disrespect to the wrong people at the wrong time.QUOTE]

The whole point is I don't go to these things 'just to show disrespect'. I was asking what is the most respectful way to behave when you have to attend such services but don't want to compromise your own beliefs.
It's not about disrepecting those involved at all.

eucrid eucrow said:
I was asking what is the most respectful way to behave when you have to attend such services but don't want to compromise your own beliefs.
It's not about disrepecting those involved at all.
What about birthday parties? Do you pass the parcel or do you decline to pass it on and just sit there!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back