does anyone on here go to mass? (1 Viewer)

Brian Conniffe said:
eh, it's not that impressive. the one in london near covent garden is really amazing looking though.

the masons' secret handshake by which they identify each other is the pressing of the thumb on the ringfinger knuckle.

not impressive maybe but interesting. my missus did a course once on dublin architecture and its amazing how much stuff you miss if you dont look e.g the monkeys playing pool on some building in kildare st.

dudley said:
ah thanks be to god

after a saturday night pigging out on deep fried guts and boiled intestines, no better way to spend a sunday morning than a bit of the auld religion.

I said "Amen" to a jehoves witness prayer....

Was in christchurch recently and on the leaflet you get it said "pray for unity for all christians, for citizens of dublin, and you!"
I didn't pay in.

"He's got 7 million dollars in his heavenly bank account....All from those chumps who was born again, wooo yeah...woo yeah..."

"In the senate they think he is a groovy guy..."

"With the bible it is easy to pretend you're in showbiz..."

Am I right in thinking that on the live MTV music awards in the 80s, he played this tune, stopped the music and then said
"TAX THE CHURCHES...TAX THE BUSINESSES OWNED BY THE CHURCHES..."

Did anyone see the Documentary on the Masons on RTÉ last year? It was heartbreaking to watch it, no-one there under 55, none of them really seemed to know what was going on, bar repeatedly assuring the camera that there was nothing untoward going on, and that there was nothing "unholy" happening. Vere Wynn-Jones was interviewed too, which was pretty much the highlight of the proceedings. I keep meaning to go and say hello sometime, in the family tradition...

Got dragged along till about 12/13 ears of age; then we were left to our own devices. Mass round our way had more to do with social intercourse than god and faith. Southside suburban dublin is nosey as fuck at the best of times, and dragging the nippers down to the local church to parade them past that Joneses shower of pricks was what it was all about for my mam an dad. Now we go christmas time and the like; i still high five instead of shake peace be with you just to get a rise outa me oul wan.

I remember a certain young lady (who shall remain nameless) dispensing blowjobs to her pals 'round the back of a certain secondary school (which shall also remain nameless) before mass most Sundays.

Miss Piggy said:
as for funerals/ weddings etc, i dont think theyre really the time/place to be making a point about your own beliefs
Spot on. I'm neither a believer, a non believer or an athiest, more searching, but as with all things, elements of all three are just as smug and self righteous as each other. It's as silly as walking around a japanese house in dirty runners if you ask me. When in Rome.

ps John grays "straw dogs" makes a good mockery of aetheism and religion in one go.

HitsLikeAGirl said:
Mass round our way had more to do with social intercourse than god and faith.
It has everywhere, really. Most of the sacraments are catholicised versions of fundamental human rituals that have been around as long as we have - birth (baptism), coming of age (confirmation), regular community meetings (mass), pair-bonding (marriage). Funerals aren't a sacrament as such, but again here there's a church ritual that is older than the church

ICUH8N said:
I remember a certain young lady (who shall remain nameless) dispensing blowjobs to her pals 'round the back of a certain secondary school (which shall also remain nameless) before mass most Sundays.

Holy slut!
Drop names. or at least hint it.

I dunno if you remember her, She was a blonde. Shares a surname with a certain unpopular Irish former talk-show host, raconteur, footballing legend and cocaine afficionado.

ICUH8N said:
I dunno if you remember her, She was a blonde. Shares a surname with a certain unpopular Irish former talk-show host, raconteur, footballing legend and cocaine afficionado.

gemma 'no harm' dunne?

nlgbbbblth said:
I have no problem with kneeling, sitting, standing while I am in the church. If you're going to go you might as well make some effort at partaking even if you don't believe.

I can somewhat appreciate that and also what Miss Piggy was saying about funerals and things not being the place to make a show of your own beliefs, but at the same time all these things that are done at particular times within a sermon and done so for a particular reason. For example, standing when the priest enters to show your respect (fuck that), kneeling during the consecration to symbolise gratitude at being in its presence (fuck that), standing during the 'Our Father' in order to show how much we believe in its content (fuck that), etc.

As I said, I can appreciate the argument that if you are going to a religious service of any kind you should make the effort to take part out of respect, but at the same time I'm not going to be a hypocrite for anyone and the respect I have for the Catholic church is minimal anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back