• Thread starter HMD
  • Start date
  • Replies 20
  • Views 2K
  • Watchers 3
haha...i'm sure they've already covered him on that site but there's
some amazing footage on youtube of peter hook (joy division/new
order) supposedly djing.
here for example he is playing a cd that came free with mixmag.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

painful.

saw apparat 'live' in crawdaddy in december... live my eyeball. he played ellen alien & modeselektor tracks, tweaked a little bit. cut off the last track before it finished. joke.

haha...i'm sure they've already covered him on that site but there's
some amazing footage on youtube of peter hook (joy division/new
order) supposedly djing.
here for example he is playing a cd that came free with mixmag.

YouTube - Peter Hook DJ Tour in Hong Kong

painful.

In fairness he's spent most of his career playing with knobs...

who cares as long as the show is a good one - (cue arguments that this no different from most forms of manufactured pop music)

i doubt the "liveness" of about 97.5% of all electronic artists and in the end if i go to see a laptop artist, i'm more interested in whether the show/experience is good

:rolleyes:
leigh

I agree with Leigh.
But that Peter Hook video is mortifying.

who cares as long as the show is a good one - (cue arguments that this no different from most forms of manufactured pop music)

i doubt the "liveness" of about 97.5% of all electronic artists and in the end if i go to see a laptop artist, i'm more interested in whether the show/experience is good

leigh

the 'live' thing matters in that if a dj/producer is advertised to play live they're gonna be playing their own stuff. if it's a dj set they'll just be playing records. there is a huge difference.

compare yer typical laptop-er to someone like legowelt
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

leigh

I :heart: electronic music, but not in a live setting. For that very reason.

I agree with daydream_nation in that if a show is advertised as a 'live' set, they shouldn't just be pressing 'play' on their laptop for most of it. That's just a cop out. It's actually really interesting to watch a DJ play live when they're actually doing something and making 'live' music.
If I want to see a DJ just play some tunes, I'll go see a DJ play tunes, and that's cool. If I want to see an electronic artist create/recreate music then I expect to see that...I know everything that people create in a studio/at home isn't always able to be recreated in a live setting, but you'd expect the majority of the set to be in some way 'live'.
Basically, don't lie. ;)

I agree with daydream_nation in that if a show is advertised as a 'live' set, they shouldn't just be pressing 'play' on their laptop for most of it. That's just a cop out. It's actually really interesting to watch a DJ play live when they're actually doing something and making 'live' music.
If I want to see a DJ just play some tunes, I'll go see a DJ play tunes, and that's cool. If I want to see an electronic artist create/recreate music then I expect to see that...I know everything that people create in a studio/at home isn't always able to be recreated in a live setting, but you'd expect the majority of the set to be in some way 'live'.
Basically, don't lie. ;)

you'd be surprised aoife - very surprised

I remember being in the Modern Green Bar many years ago and some head behind the decks was bobbing his head and listening intently to the headphones with a look of fierce concentration. He was playing Brainfreeze by DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist from start to finish and unedited...:rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back