Disco Disco (1 Viewer)

snakybus said:
you saw him squat?

maybe it was a "stand-and-shit" job?

squatters rights and all that

appearantly he stood on one leg and wiped the crap off his other with his hand

quite an acrobatic poo by all accounts

Pantone247 said:
As "flawed" as land ownership is, its sort of the accepted practice, and indeed the law.
That don't mean it's right, dude. And if you feel strongly enough about the un-rightness of a thing, it behooves you to do something about it, no? So long as you're not harming people like

herv, I'm not optimistic either, but my pessimism is based more on the legal/social barriers that you point out than any intrinsic difficulties with people living in groups

snakybus said:
you saw him squat?

maybe it was a "stand-and-shit" job?

squatters rights and all that

He didn't squat. I saw it...sorry... shit.

Don't know if those geezers actually owned that property. Cops shouldn't have been so heavy-handed. In a city where people are crying out for affordable places to live (and even just places to live), it's not right for people to own properties and let them rot.
From my experience of looking through property portfolios all I can say is that I imagine that there's some serious crooks involved in owning property. For me our property laws are oblique, backward and detrimental to the country as a whole.

RAD-ALARM said:
why did they pick Parnell Sq? was it the pros of making a very very visible point about housing / whatever vs the pros of making the space exist longer somewhere in the suburbs?
has it gotten much / any media covereage?

To be honest, I don't think it has gotten media coverage at all. I think the idea was to try and make it as public as possible to have the public support on the issues like affordable housing etc.. parnell sq was chosen for a number of reasons such as centrality and accessibility but mainly because they needed a place fast.

Personally, I think it's a great idea and an autonomous zone would be greatly appreciated by a lot of people in this city.. yet it does need an awful lot of planning and research etc..

jillface said:
To be honest, I don't think it has gotten media coverage at all. I think the idea was to try and make it as public as possible to have the public support on the issues like affordable housing etc.. parnell sq was chosen for a number of reasons such as centrality and accessibility but mainly because they needed a place fast.

can i ask why it needed to be done so quickly? as you said yourself there really needs to be a bit more research done on the subject so why did they go for it when they did?

cheers

h

herv said:
can i ask why it needed to be done so quickly? as you said yourself there really needs to be a bit more research done on the subject so why did they go for it when they did?

cheers

h

well really, i don't really like discussing such matters on the internet but basically it was desperately needed to provide a space for people to live in.

i think a lot of the people involved knew that if it was set up it wouldn't survive for very long but felt it was beneficial to at least attempt it.

also, i was mistaken. i just read on indymedia that newstalk 102fm did some sort of thing about it on the radio for which the subject recieved a lot of pubic support.

jillface said:
well really, i don't really like discussing such matters on the internet but basically it was desperately needed to provide a space for people to live in.

i think a lot of the people involved knew that if it was set up it wouldn't survive for very long but felt it was beneficial to at least attempt it.

also, i was mistaken. i just read on indymedia that newstalk 102fm did some sort of thing about it on the radio for which the subject recieved a lot of pubic support.

ok cool. thanks for that. :)

herv said:
disco disco didn't belong to them in the first place.

I think they were trying to raise the point about places being left derelict left right and centre all over the city when rent is so high and alternative collectives cant get a space to get together in. Property is more than just about ownership.

herv said:
i admire the idea of a community centre, but i think its inherently flawed. who would police it? who is to say who comes in and who doesn't? if it operates outside the law what would happen if there was hassle and the police were needed?

They are self-policing - an autonomous space. The system works all across Europe, no reason why it shouldnt work here. The people who live there get to decide who comes in and out.

herv said:
maybe i'm just too conservative, but i honestly think a serious tactical rethink would be needed before something like this was ever tried again. the legal and social climate in ireland is not conducive to stunts like this at the moment.

Their effort is an attempt to change the legal and social climate. By doing direct actions you focus the issue.

What tactics do you think they should adopt in future? How long do you think Dublin has to wait until the climate is conducive to 'stunts' like this?

Its a bit depressing when you read people from the supposed "alternative" community of Dublin slating the efforts of a group of people to establish a space - a space that people like YOU could have used to get together and have meetings about your gigs, make banners or backdrops, and maybe even in time perform there when the place was set up properly with electricity and a space in the back.

Does the extent of your "alternative-ness" just extend to the music you play and perform or does it go further than that?

Herv I just read back over this and it sounds very negative, but it wasnt written in a bad tone or in a personal attack, I am genuinely interested in what you have to say so please dont take the posting to be a wind-up, I want to have a debate not a slanging match... peace

Couple of random and not necessarily fully thought-through comments...

This isn't amsterdam or italy or germany - bottom line is there are specific laws against this kind of thing and whether you have a moral or ethical problem with it doesn't really matter - there are still laws against it. If this was about taking direct action to make a point about housing then the people organising this should have at the very least made sure they knew what they were up against, and should probably have sought proper legal advice beforehand. I don't think anyone here is criticising these guys for trying to change things, i think it's more the tone of righteous indignation about someone reclaiming what is after all their property. Boo hoo, like - if they didn't fully expect this to happen then they're fools.

If these guys wanted to make a point, why didn't they have a list of TV / Radio / newspaper newsrooms to call when the cops (inevitably) arrived? Any local politicians involved? Homeless organisations?

And whether or not the cops were heavy handed is a total red herring and a whole other issue - the owner of the property was legally right, the squatters were legally wrong. The cops were there to enforce the law. Anyone naive enough to be surprised at cops pushing people around or banging a few heads together in this day and age really has no business getting involved with direct action like this.

of boogying? nope, after i left yous, i went to a bbq, yep, that late, and got SO drunk... and then took crazy shit, went to witnness, kinda regretted doing so and blah blah... you do anything after? oh, i'm ok with snakey being married now, i've had time to think about it and i'm ok sharing him... you?

Pantone247 said:
Haggler, did you get your feed on Saturday?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back