Disco Disco (3 Viewers)

redflaremist said:
Does the extent of your "alternative-ness" just extend to the music you play and perform or does it go further than that?

hi again. thats a good question. in some senses i find it very difficult to justify any personal alternativeness of lifestyle bar prehaps with respect to the music i make. i work for a multinational company, i am in debt to my bank and so on. there are certain things i wont buy, no nestle, no gap, etc but bar that i'm just an average bloke living an average life.

outside of that i content myself with my music, my relationship, my work, and those are the things i think i'm good at. that said, on a regular basis things hit me and i think "wow, why don't i do that?" but from experience of being me :) , i know i have a tendency to be incredibly enthusiastic one minute and not the next. i have found that the best way for me to conduct myself to stick with one or two things i know i can deal with and work as hard at those as i possibly can. right now i can't just justify anything else to myself.

prehaps in the light of me saying this you should tell me to mind my own business, and stop slating your efforts but as i said earlier i would be delighted if this got up and running, i honestly would. i wish you and all involved the best of luck.

cheers

h:)

pete said:
If these guys wanted to make a point, why didn't they have a list of TV / Radio / newspaper newsrooms to call when the cops (inevitably) arrived? Any local politicians involved? Homeless organisations?

Actually there were members of the press there at the time of the eviction, I specifically remember a member of FM 104 news team being there, I can't speak specifically of any other news groups, but there were others there. Also before the eviction and as it was being set up there were press releases sent out. A times reporter was there on the Monday morning and there was even a piece on TV3 news about Autonomous Community Space (not the eviction though).

As for local politicians, their neighbours happened to be Sinn Fein HQ who seemed to be very supportive. But a political statement was also sent out as well as the press release.

Homeless organisations? I don't know.

Now I'm not sure if I should be putting this out on a public forum (I might have to ask pete to edit this later on), but to the best of the ACS's knowledge and as of last Thursday, the site itself had be taken over by Dublin City Council because it had been left abandoned for 11 years and nothing was being done with it. And there was currently a court case over ownership in which the owner was given 2 months to show signs of doing something with the place. This, I think, still didn't mean the original owner had regained posession, I think Dublin City Council still were in posession. So all this talk of private property and of the landlord being in the right does not seem to be quite correct. The police were called by those inside as the "landlord" or "owner" who didn't identify himself or show any papers as to ownership, came around with what were basically hired thugs to forcibly "evict" those inside. During the course of this, one of the people inside was assaulted and struck over the head with a crowbar/metal pole and was hospitalised. http://www.indymedia.ie/newswire.php?story_id=60401 These don't look like the actions of someone who if they owned it wanted ppl removed. Would it not be a case of calling the police themselves or going through the court system?

Now this is unsubstantiated and might need to be removed later also, but it was claimed that ownership or title or whatever had been finalised/approved since they moved in on Sunday, which would mean it had been in the high court on a Sunday evening! Highly dubious!

I hope I've done the right thing by posting this up, as I've made fuck ups by being this open before, and I know ppl involved read this forum, but it's not that clandestine the information I've put up. Ownership of a building can be found out and is relatively publicly available. From Dublin City Council, Land Register, etc.

the site itself had be taken over by Dublin City Council because it had been left abandoned for 11 years and nothing was being done with it
i think it's 12 years (12 months to allow the landlord to object/respond to the claim of dereliction and a further 11 years before the corpo take over the property), but yeah, i'd imagine you're pretty much correct on the fact that dublin corpo had taken possession of the property.
so it can't have been owned by the alleged "landlord", who had no right to eject individuals from what was essentially no longer his property.

redflaremist said:
Its a bit depressing when you read people from the supposed "alternative" community of Dublin slating the efforts of a group of people to establish a space - a space that people like YOU could have used to get together and have meetings about your gigs, make banners or backdrops, and maybe even in time perform there when the place was set up properly with electricity and a space in the back.

Does the extent of your "alternative-ness" just extend to the music you play and perform or does it go further than that?

don't you realise its a bit close minded to assume that all "alternative" musicians have the same beliefs as you ?

Shorty said:
their neighbours happened to be Sinn Fein HQ who seemed to be very supportive.

hmmmmmm.........
how supportive were they exactly ?

doesn't it seem a bit of a coincidence then that some woman was shouting about her RA connections during the eviction , and that the Sinn Fein office was right next door . no ?

I'm only assuming things of course .

from indymedia reports :

"A crowd of onlookers had gathered, some sympathetic other distinctly not, one woman claiming she had "RA" connections"

"The Gardai spoke to the men involved for about 10 minutes. The same men that had caused an injury, resulting in hospital teatment being required, made numerous lethal threats with their tools towards me, shouted abuse to practicly everyone opposing them, and also threatened to call a known terrorist group to help them. (IRA)"

spiritualtramp said:
from indymedia reports :

"A crowd of onlookers had gathered, some sympathetic other distinctly not, one woman claiming she had "RA" connections"

"The Gardai spoke to the men involved for about 10 minutes. The same men that had caused an injury, resulting in hospital teatment being required, made numerous lethal threats with their tools towards me, shouted abuse to practicly everyone opposing them, and also threatened to call a known terrorist group to help them. (IRA)"
That's just counter-constructive. How thick is yer wan, that she goes, to paraphrase, 'yeah, well my friends have guns and they'll sort you and yer crowbar buddies out'? She won't be gaining any sympathy for the Autonomous Community Space cause with that kind of attitude.

oh, and you can be whatever kind of 'alternative' you want to be, as long as it's the same kind of alternative as mine. ;)

lmd64 said:
That's just counter-constructive. How thick is yer wan, that she goes, to paraphrase, 'yeah, well my friends have guns and they'll sort you and yer crowbar buddies out'? She won't be gaining any sympathy for the Autonomous Community Space cause with that kind of attitude.

oh, and you can be whatever kind of 'alternative' you want to be, as long as it's the same kind of alternative as mine. ;)

I think the woman shouting that, was saying it as support to the guys breaking in. Strange considering the support Sinn Fein had given ACS. :) :eek: !ironyyy

One of ACS went along to the Sinn Fein Meeting on the housing crisis and asked if they would support actions like Disco Disco and they said yes. And Disco Disco were supposed to be in An Poblacht, dunno if it was, a dubious honour as far as I'm concerned :confused:

The reason it happenning so quickly was partially as Jillface said due to homelessness and lack of community space, partially because people felt the best way to learn was through experience, but also ACS did feel that enough was known about the building, as far as ACS was concerned it was owned but the Co.council.

Its all about learning from your mistakes I guess.

There's an email account if anyone wants to get in touch but most stuff will be through word of mouth for obvious reasons
[email protected]

redflaremist said:
Its a bit depressing when you read people from the supposed "alternative" community of Dublin slating the efforts of a group of people to establish a space - a space that people like YOU could have used to get together and have meetings about your gigs, make banners or backdrops, and maybe even in time perform there when the place was set up properly with electricity and a space in the back.

I meant to answer this when you posted, then I forgot

The people who come here are mostly people with an interest in music, and very often that's the only thing we have in common. There's nothing intrinsically 'alternative' (alternative to what?) that brings us here in the first place, but very many of us have discovered that the best music can often be found outside the mainstream.

Having said that, distancing yourself from the mainstream in one way often leads to other things and so you'll find that many of us here have non-mainstream political views too, and sometimes these views compel us to take action, or to behave (or not behave) in certain ways. Our actions might not be the same as your actions, and our views might not be the same as your views, but that doesn't necessarily mean that we have put less thought into them, or that they are less worthwhile.

(As for me, in case you're interested, my politics very much affects my day-to-day life, but you're unlikely to see me in fighting with the cops)

Oh yeah, to clear something else up
It wasn't the cops that were at all heavy handed on the eviction day
The 'owners'/thugs were the ones who hit one guy with a crowbar and smacked another in the face.

The police took their word over ours that they owned the building without seeing any proof. They threatened those outside with section 8 (not doing what they say pretty much) and those inside with a vague reference to trespassing.

It wasnt about fighting with the police.
It shouldnt have been a police matter but a political one for the courts. I still think the eviction was illegal.

Shorty said:
As for local politicians, their neighbours happened to be Sinn Fein HQ who seemed to be very supportive.

Ha!
Oh the disgusting irony.

Sinn Fein coming over all supportive to victims of forced eviction.

Compare and contrast this with their policy of forced* exile for people who get in the way of their actions throughout the North.

*see IRA intimidation

total pricks

:mad:

rothko said:
Ha!
Oh the disgusting irony.

Sinn Fein coming over all supportive to victims of forced eviction.

Compare and contrast this with their policy of forced* exile for people who get in the way of their actions throughout the North.

*see IRA intimidation

total pricks

:mad:

ironic indeed
as is people roaming the streets of Ireland wearing Celtic shirts in an effort to assert their "Irishness" -
and Lansdowne road is full of the pricks at the Irish internationals now.

fucking cunting bastarding arseholes

So what now? Are there plans for a new project? It's quite amazing to read all these posts, all the views and ideas are so inspiring, someone should be able to find some positive ways forward as a result of the discussion. This is what it's all about... *sigh*

stephenoblunt said:
So what now? Are there plans for a new project? It's quite amazing to read all these posts, all the views and ideas are so inspiring, someone should be able to find some positive ways forward as a result of the discussion. This is what it's all about... *sigh*

Oh it's not over by a long shot :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back