Digital nostalgia (1 Viewer)

jane

Website
www.ittybittyhearingtrumpet.wordpress.com
Here's something I've been thinking about, and I know there've been a few times when Pete's posted links to the 'old' Thumped, and we've all gone looking at them and felt a bit nostalgic, or at least felt like there's a developing sense of personal historical depth to our time on Thumped or on the internet in general.

I guess it's because so much of what I do involves spending time in paper archives that's got me thinking. I know the archiving of digital information is a big deal in a lot of disciplines and professional realms, but I'm more interested in the personal one. As I sift through the personal/state papers of 17th-century dudes, and of early 20th-century official papers in government archives, I do get a bit of a buzz out of the physical objects themselves. But the archaeologist in me, who still, deep-down, can't let go of some amorphous and invented sense of 'tradition', and fetishises age and all that, feels a bit disappointed that these kinds of archives will no longer be produced. I'm interested to know how these archives will be constituted, but I can't help but feel a sense of loss when it comes to individual tangible objects.

It would be naive to suggest that digital documents will never have that power (because sometimes stumbling across some really old website that hasn't been updated since 1996 can be kind of an exciting discovery), and I guess reading through the earliest emails in my own email account can do something similar, but the object that acts as the conduit isn't the same. Maybe objects are always arbitrary: it's the shit they evoke that matters.

So much of what was once done through a huge range of physical objects is now done through the computer (which, obviously, is also a physical thing), and that's not going to change. And it's changed the nature of our communication with each other, but how has our relationship to personal objects also changed, now that so much communication takes place via the web, email, or text messaging?

Do you save stuff? Do you feel sad that your new phone means you'll lose some really awesome/important/terrifying text you received ages ago? Do you save all your emails? Do you print important ones out and save them? Do you get a buzz out of digital artefacts?

I save emails that are important. Meany emails and texts get saved for as long as it takes to learn whatever stupid lesson I should learn from them, and then they get gleefully deleted. I deleted most of the mails from a guy I went out with years ago, mainly to make room in my email account, though I also chucked out some of the letters he sent me. But deleting the mails seemed so much more final than chucking the letters, even though I know that somewhere in the ether, those mails are still there, and the letters are more likely to disintegrate or decay or be made into toilet paper. Still, there's a feeling of finality that can't be ignored.

The archives we create are always selective and deliberate, but I dunno, I'm just curious about how the nature of nostalgia/memory will have changed. I'm also interested in what you internerds who would know more about digital archives and where the deleted emails go and what happens with neglected websites (I'm looking at you, cookiemonster), but I think I'm more interested in what yizzers all do with emails, files, shit like that. Do you ever feel the same sense of attachment to a digital object as you might to a more tangible one?

Do I make any sense? Am I just stating the obvious? Am I just a big nerd who should go do some proper work? Actually, though, this is the kind of thing I will probably include in my thesis, some kind of discussion about how I came upon doing the archaeology of archival contexts exactly at the time when the fundamental nature of archives was undergoing major change. Maybe I can convince myself that this counts as work.

Yes, Jane did an epic post. Shock, horror. Poo poo fart fart.*

*bum bum boobies

I save email "letters" in the same way I'd save a hand written one- for no other reason than a fleeting warm glow every couple of years when i read them again

Some things I keep because I deem them "significant" , like people sending photos of their slimy newborn babies,

I was pretty pissed off when I accidently deleted my "save" folder which contained among other shite, mails I'd got from a friend in New York on the morning of 11/9- (or 9/11 as they call it- kerraazy)

Was weird, her descriptions of what was happening right that minute..

but in the end- it's a pretty pointless thing to do i suppose. But seeing as people no longer write paper letters, to me anyway I suppose I'll keep on saving them

I wonder If i could get prisoners on death row to write to me? I miss letters

I still have text archives of my emails in college somewhere. I used to keep all the letters people sent me in a box... but move after move they got whittled down so I think I only have a few of the most significant still. I got rid of my teenage diaries last year during yet another move.

When my phone was stolen I was devastated by the loss of the photographs and some of the text messages that I had in it - much more than by the loss of the handset itself.

Each time I have upgraded my computer I have copied over everything from the other one. Seems kinda pointless since I never look at a lot of that stuff again... but every now and then I will come accross a random txt file and find a weird irc conversation or email that I'd totally forgotten about... and then I start to think that I don't keep things like that enough these days.

(Oh no! 3 paragraphs! It's contagious)

I lost my first 5 years of emails courtesy of an Outlook fuckup a few years ago. More recently, some Partition Magic adventurism cost me a LOT of video footage, yet i still don't really keep backups. I suppose I should really start.... I definitely should know better. But I suppose I'm learning - every photo I take goes up on flickr. maybe things will improve when Google launch GDrive.

It's funny how when we lose something that stores information, we're more concerned about the information than we are the object. I find doing things like backing up my computer incredibly comforting. As much as it would inconvenience me to have to buy a new one (even though this craptop is badly ailing and old), I'd be more upset about losing what's on the computer. Not even so much the thesis, as there are printed out versions of pretty much everything I've ever written, but just the other random stuff, shit I probably don't think is important, but which I think I'd like to keep as part of my own personal history.

It's weird, actually, since computer word processing, I actually save stuff I've written. When it was all pen and paper, I never kept anything at all, which maybe saved face, but I never learned anything from it. So in some ways, while certain types of objects are no longer so much a part of our daily lives, I definitely keep more stuff than I otherwise would.

What's amazing is that I imagine most of us have a story about an accidental deletion, or a glitch that caused a whole bunch of shit to be lost forever. A deletion seems to happen more quickly than the loss of a physical object. If you accidentally throw out a letter, unless you burn it or something, you have a bit more of a chance to dig it out of the bin or relocate it, or whatever. Whether or not they are in reality more prone to loss, the conditions of preservation for digital objects seem more precarious, which is interesting because the storing of information in this fashion is meant to make us feel like we're free from the tyranny of the physical file, which might be lost, stolen, destroyed, whatever.

It's interesting, yeah. I deleted some 9/11 related shit, and I wish I hadn't. There's almost a sense of minor trauma when you delete something by accident, or regret having done so deliberately. Guess I've just been trying to get to grips with the nature of our/my own attachment to 'intangible' objects.

Over the summer, I found a diary from when I was 12 or 13, which contained some surprising shit. It's weird because there was a draft of a fan letter to River Phoenix, which I don't remember writing. I know my friend was into him, and I guess I thought it was the thing teenage girls did, write fan letters to hot, doomed celebrities. It makes me wonder if with digital stuff, the chances of accidental survival of things like that have increased or decreased. Or simply changed, I guess.

whenever i go home i always turn on my first pc which is still in my old room and have a listen to some mp3s or look through some old files i saved from my first couple of years online. soooooo many hours spent reading Manic Street Preachers interviews and downloading b-sides. i got the internet just as i was getting into music. Napster! Bedroom covered in dodgy photos of bands printed from fansites!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back