dEUS at the Ambassador (1 Viewer)

shitepipe said:
saw them in amsterdam last week

they were.... professional

I think I may have posted this before, but for the day that's in it (which I alone will be calling "dEUS Day") here is a link to a recent gig

http://3voor12.vpro.nl/3voor12/groups/index.jsp?groups=35015

really looking forward to tonight even though the new album is their weakest yet, however a weak dEUS album is still better than most of what's out there.

this thread has reminded me that the drummer from herm has had my WCS for years now. !bing

so, was it any good?

twas supersharp
think someone else described their tour as "professional" i'd go with that.
they did a good mix of old and new stuff.
Serpentine and Fell off the floor man were highlights for me.
Mauro was deadly as a 2nd singer even if some of his harmonies were a bit off, the wailing was great Mr Janzoons key souns were amazing aswell particularly during the climax of Instant Street.
Even though it nearly gave me epilepsy i really enjoyed the choreographed lighting too.Sound was mostly good from where i was standing (behind sounddesk area)
Bass player was pretty crap, really missed Stef. for WCS they played a loop of Stefs bassline, same with Theme from turnpike. they both sounded great but bass player looked like a bit of a gonk just standing there clicking his fingers.
Tom Barman seemed to really enjoy being back, seems to love Dublin.

I thought they were a bit hot and cold.. the sound wasn't great where we were standing, booming and mushy, and the quieter songs seemed to get a bit lost. The noise climaxes on stuff like For The Roses, Sun Ra, Instant Street and Bad Timing were the best moments.. and Cold Sun of Circumstance with those stobing yellow lights. Theme From Turnpike was class too, especially that bit at the end with Mauro screaming.. it'll be interesting to see what their next record sounds like with him in the lineup.

After buying my ticket for Dinosaur Jr, expecting it to sell out, and arriving up to find plenty of room in there... I figured a concert for a band like dEUS would never sell out. Man, was I pissed off when I rolled up there at 8.00 on friday evening. No way I was going to pay 50 to a scalper. Well, sounds like a decent enough show, pity I missed it. I'll have to wait until next time.

I've listened to the new album a good bit now, and to me (and I'm shocked I'd say this) it sounds a bit too pedestrian. Like Barman's ran out of ideas. Don't get me wrong., I actually think The Ideal Crash is their best album, the most coherent, but still with that unique dash of originality and flair. But this one is just playing it too safe for me. If any other band had released it, I probably would like it way more, but after what they are capable of, I am disappointed. There are some great tracks on it though for sure. It seems the departing members made a big difference to the sound. Interviewed Craig Ward though about 5 years ago for a college paper. Moody Cunt.

did'nt play for very long did they? All over a bit too early for my liking. 10:30 is a bit early and it wasnt even a schoolnight.

They had no Hats, Badges or Miniature flags for sale :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back