Deaf Fundraiser (1 Viewer)

Hey I've a great idea - why dont the middle class chinstroker 90s throw backs that organize Deaf get 9 to 5 jobs and stop living of their parents and the arts council.Thats what everyone else has to do when they need money!

You should write for the NME.

Red Dawg, if your problem is with Government funding for fringe music or arts festivals for music that people "never heard of 99% of the performers playing" then that's a fair enough point (which i disagree with) that covers a large number of festivals of all types of music throughout Ireland. No funding would mean the end of most of these. But your stereotyping of the people who run DEAF and the type of music that DEAF features is way of the mark to say the least. Look at the line up for DEAF 2009 and tell me what artists fit into the "dnb, idm ,warp records etc" category - Nurse With Wound? Daedalus? Trans AM? Fuck Buttons? Point B? Chef? Legion of Two? Ebola? Mad EP? Previous years have been similarly diverse and by the looks of things so will DEAF 2009.

I think you're being a little cynical here. From my limited (I used to go out clubbing weekly for about a year, year and a half back in 2002 & 2003 and go out infrequently since) experience with the Dublin techno scene I've built up a lot of admiration for D1/DEAF. Their Friday night residency in Traffic was great value for money, excellent guests and residents and it never cost more than €12. At a time where big names from Detroit or wherever were playing in TBMC or Red Box for €20+, D1 were bringing heads over to a much smaller club and charging half that. I always wondered how they make any money. Whether they made a profit on these nights isn't important to me, what I understood was that they cared way more about putting on a quality, good value club night than making a quick buck.

Same can be said for DEAF. I've gone to at least some of it every year since it started back in 2002. Some years have been better than others, but it always avoided taking the easy (and probably infinitely more lucrative route) of turning it into a big comercial techno event (ala DEMF in Detroit). The focus has always been on promoting local music (and certainly not just their own) with a few great international acts to make the thing more exciting. Money is charged in for the bigger events but it's never excessive (€30 seemed a lot to see Coil in City Hall, but I don't think anyone left that gig feeling shortchanged) and nearly always good value. There's always loads of free stuff too. If DEAF makes a profit, it's deserved. A lot of passion, hardwork and energy goes into the festival and what we get back is something truly unique.

As goes them living in expensive apartments paid for by their parents and what brand of cigarette they smoke, I couldn't possibly know since I don't know any of them personally. Nor do I care or think it's relevant.

If you think the fundraiser is a stupid idea, don't go. I don't see the harm. It would be a real pity if the festival couldn't continue (in a way I'd be pleased because this will be the very first year I'm going to miss).

If you think DEAF is for pricks, vote with your feet and stay at home. If you're going to express your opionions on it, work away but no need to get personal about its organisers.

Phew.

Pillhead

Red Dawg, if your problem is with Government funding for fringe music or arts festivals for music that people "never heard of 99% of the performers playing" then that's a fair enough point (which i disagree with) that covers a large number of festivals of all types of music throughout Ireland. No funding would mean the end of most of these. But your stereotyping of the people who run DEAF and the type of music that DEAF features is way of the mark to say the least. Look at the line up for DEAF 2009 and tell me what artists fit into the "dnb, idm ,warp records etc" category - Nurse With Wound? Daedalus? Trans AM? Fuck Buttons? Point B? Chef? Legion of Two? Ebola? Mad EP? Previous years have been similarly diverse and by the looks of things so will DEAF 2009.

Holy shit, is that the lineup this year??? Fuck the Cork Jazz Festival. .|..|

from the last deaf mail:

News: DEAF is now entering its 8th year & dates for this year’s festival are Thursday 22nd to Saturday 31st October with over 70 events in place, utilising 45 music venues, gallery spaces, clubs & bars. Highlights include Modeselector, Soap & Skin, Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, Surgeon, Christian Vogel, Planetary Assault Systems, Grouper, John Weise, Roger Doyle @60, Crash Ensemble, David Rodigan & Dam Funk, plus much more to come.

red dog's like the salsa of events. did you get refused a slot or something?

lemons.jpg

just out of interest can I ask what stuff you listen to Red Dog? I always figured, as you seem to sell a lot of synths etc, that you would be pretty in to electronic music in general. Just asking coz I was kinda surprised at what you said about that type of music as I had you mentally pinned as a total electronic/dance/techno head. I'm probably wrong of course :)

Hey I've a great idea - why dont the middle class chinstroker 90s throw backs that organize Deaf get 9 to 5 jobs and stop living of their parents and the arts council.Thats what everyone else has to do when they need money!

Haha! I'd say you've got the mad reddner now after pulling a live 14 y/o girl tantrum like that on the internet.

-"Red_dog please come out of your room"
-"NO I HATE YOU!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back