Deaf Fundraiser (1 Viewer)

And can you explain why DEAF deserves a grant please.

Well, it's an enterprise which has a lot of cultural value and finds it difficult to exist based on market forces alone. Therefore state intervention is desirable. In times of recession, the usual economic model is for the state to intervene more in the economy in order to stimulate growth. However, unlike the UK, US and most other economies, we're trying out the opposite. Therefore subsidies have been reduced without reforming state structures. So I don't think that the policy of reducing arts grants in a recession is a good one. Therefore DEAF does deserve a grant. (Especially considering it's a not for profit thingy).

Well, it's an enterprise which has a lot of cultural value and finds it difficult to exist based on market forces alone. Therefore state intervention is desirable. In times of recession, the usual economic model is for the state to intervene more in the economy in order to stimulate growth. However, unlike the UK, US and most other economies, we're trying out the opposite. Therefore subsidies have been reduced without reforming state structures. So I don't think that the policy of reducing arts grants in a recession is a good one. Therefore DEAF does deserve a grant. (Especially considering it's a not for profit thingy).

What happens when there's no fuckin money left?Yous had a good ride for a long time, no sympathy!

yeah, i hear theyre throwing money at the arts in uk/us/etc...

ever heard of anglo irish bank? nama? deposit guarantees? thats state intervention.

not saying they dont deserve some funds, but given a choice between cutting social welfare/the minimum wage vs. cutting arts funding, i know which camp im in

yeah, i hear theyre throwing money at the arts in uk/us/etc...

ever heard of anglo irish bank? nama? deposit guarantees? thats state intervention.

not saying they dont deserve some funds, but given a choice between cutting social welfare/the minimum wage vs. cutting arts funding, i know which camp im in

but it isn't a choice between cutting social welfare/the minimum wage vs. cutting arts funding.

anyway, social welfare in Ireland is insane !ninjaaaa

but it isn't a choice between cutting social welfare/the minimum wage vs. cutting arts funding.

no. everythings getting cut. its just a matter of degrees.

anyway, social welfare in Ireland is insane !ninjaaaa

so is arts funding (i worked in subsidised arts for 9 years and saw massive growth in funding, aligned with massive growth in mismanagement and decline in financial accountability)

arent the arts supposed to flourish in a downturn?

so is arts funding (i worked in subsidised arts for 9 years and saw massive growth in funding, aligned with massive growth in mismanagement and decline in financial accountability)

i agree with you here. everything gets cut so it isn't an either/or decision between someting seen as largely middle class (arts) and something emotive (welfare).

It is widely known that arts is poorly managed and this is relective of the training of the people in the creative industries.

There needs to be a rethink of how the interventions are used rather than simply asking for cuts.

I can speak from a UK perspective (after living/working here for 5+ years) but there is a recognition that the contribution of the creative industries to the economy is massive and the contribution to employment will actually be higher than financial services.

The Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) estimates that in 2005 the creative industries accounted for 7.3 per cent of total UK Gross Value Added (GVA), and grew at 6 per cent per year on average
between the years 1997 and 2005

http://www.nesta.org.uk/assets/Uplo...creative_industries_policy_briefing_NESTA.pdf

The green economy and healthcare could have a combined market size of £93 billion by 2013, with the creative industries alone contributing £85 billion to GDP.

http://www.nesta.org.uk/demanding-growth-pubs/

I think you're being a little cynical here. From my limited (I used to go out clubbing weekly for about a year, year and a half back in 2002 & 2003 and go out infrequently since) experience with the Dublin techno scene I've built up a lot of admiration for D1/DEAF. Their Friday night residency in Traffic was great value for money, excellent guests and residents and it never cost more than €12. At a time where big names from Detroit or wherever were playing in TBMC or Red Box for €20+, D1 were bringing heads over to a much smaller club and charging half that. I always wondered how they make any money. Whether they made a profit on these nights isn't important to me, what I understood was that they cared way more about putting on a quality, good value club night than making a quick buck.

Same can be said for DEAF. I've gone to at least some of it every year since it started back in 2002. Some years have been better than others, but it always avoided taking the easy (and probably infinitely more lucrative route) of turning it into a big comercial techno event (ala DEMF in Detroit). The focus has always been on promoting local music (and certainly not just their own) with a few great international acts to make the thing more exciting. Money is charged in for the bigger events but it's never excessive (€30 seemed a lot to see Coil in City Hall, but I don't think anyone left that gig feeling shortchanged) and nearly always good value. There's always loads of free stuff too. If DEAF makes a profit, it's deserved. A lot of passion, hardwork and energy goes into the festival and what we get back is something truly unique.

As goes them living in expensive apartments paid for by their parents and what brand of cigarette they smoke, I couldn't possibly know since I don't know any of them personally. Nor do I care or think it's relevant.

If you think the fundraiser is a stupid idea, don't go. I don't see the harm. It would be a real pity if the festival couldn't continue (in a way I'd be pleased because this will be the very first year I'm going to miss).

If you think DEAF is for pricks, vote with your feet and stay at home. If you're going to express your opionions on it, work away but no need to get personal about its organisers.

Phew.

that is comedy gold, you defend D1 and DEAF and then say in a way you would like the festival to fail because you cant go:p

What happens when there's no fuckin money left?Yous had a good ride for a long time, no sympathy!

What always happens the rich get off and the poor pay - same as it ever was

(see under the Zoe developments versus Cook Travel judgements today for a classic example!)

http://www.indymedia.ie/article/93412

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0804/carroll.html

http://www.tribune.ie/business/article/2009/aug/02/zoe-...gone/

That saidI’d say people of what ever class who like a wee bit of alternative music have had and will increasingly get a bad deal!

Vinnie They throw a benefit gig. I think there's a thread on Thumped about it.

Brilliant!

kp

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back