Deaf Fundraiser (1 Viewer)

Red_Dog

Hey I've a great idea - why dont the middle class chinstroker 90s throw backs that organize Deaf get 9 to 5 jobs and stop living of their parents and the arts council.Thats what everyone else has to do when they need money!

Might go and see boxcutter though!

Swish

Is your issue that you don't like the music, that you don't think it should get Arts Council funding, both or neither?

Or is it a problem with fundraisers per se?

Hmmm, I wouldn't ban people. Just people who were like atound in the 90's. Especially if they organize festivals and shit.

are you imposing sanctions?? in that case i'll make a compromise - only people with conjoined beards and moustaches are out...

sorry wobbler, looks like i'm going to have to kick you out to oblivion; but don't worry - we'll find someone who looks vaguely like you as a replacement
:cool:
leigh

Is your issue that you don't like the music, that you don't think it should get Arts Council funding, both or neither?

Or is it a problem with fundraisers per se?
Right the music is grand also deaf festival is cool. However I do find it funny that their having to do fundraiser. This is how that ad sounded to me

'were in a recession so arts council wont give us a hand out to put on our non-non-profit event and also no one will sponsor us because they've never heard of 99% of the performers playing and the 1% they have heard of don't represent a demographic that buys what we sell.So instead of putting up our own money, that we make from running a few of the bigger plebe night spots around town, we want you to shell out.We've been sitting around our spacious city centre apartments that daddy bought racking our brains for the last 2 weeks trying to think of who to get a hand out from and were stumped! Its looking like we wont be able to let half of Dublin in for free this year or anything.Have to go now and smoke some marlboro lights while bidding on a pair of 300 euro retro sneakers on Ebay"
The End

Swish

Also Rach get some yank to book you for a gig in New York.Get the arts council to pay for the flights- bish bosh.They call that move the blackrock shuffle!!!

Right the music is grand also deaf festival is cool. However I do find it funny that their having to do fundraiser. This is how that ad sounded to me

'were in a recession so arts council wont give us a hand out to put on our non-non-profit event and also no one will sponsor us because they've never heard of 99% of the performers playing and the 1% they have heard of don't represent a demographic that buys what we sell.So instead of putting up our own money, that we make from running a few of the bigger plebe night spots around town, we want you to shell out.We've been sitting around our spacious city centre apartments that daddy bought racking our brains for the last 2 weeks trying to think of who to get a hand out from and were stumped! Its looking like we wont be able to let half of Dublin in for free this year or anything.Have to go now and smoke some marlboro lights while bidding on a pair of 300 euro retro sneakers on Ebay"
The End

Swish

Also Rach get some yank to book you for a gig in New York.Get the arts council to pay for the flights- bish bosh.They call that move the blackrock shuffle!!!

I think you're being a little cynical here. From my limited (I used to go out clubbing weekly for about a year, year and a half back in 2002 & 2003 and go out infrequently since) experience with the Dublin techno scene I've built up a lot of admiration for D1/DEAF. Their Friday night residency in Traffic was great value for money, excellent guests and residents and it never cost more than €12. At a time where big names from Detroit or wherever were playing in TBMC or Red Box for €20+, D1 were bringing heads over to a much smaller club and charging half that. I always wondered how they make any money. Whether they made a profit on these nights isn't important to me, what I understood was that they cared way more about putting on a quality, good value club night than making a quick buck.

Same can be said for DEAF. I've gone to at least some of it every year since it started back in 2002. Some years have been better than others, but it always avoided taking the easy (and probably infinitely more lucrative route) of turning it into a big comercial techno event (ala DEMF in Detroit). The focus has always been on promoting local music (and certainly not just their own) with a few great international acts to make the thing more exciting. Money is charged in for the bigger events but it's never excessive (€30 seemed a lot to see Coil in City Hall, but I don't think anyone left that gig feeling shortchanged) and nearly always good value. There's always loads of free stuff too. If DEAF makes a profit, it's deserved. A lot of passion, hardwork and energy goes into the festival and what we get back is something truly unique.

As goes them living in expensive apartments paid for by their parents and what brand of cigarette they smoke, I couldn't possibly know since I don't know any of them personally. Nor do I care or think it's relevant.

If you think the fundraiser is a stupid idea, don't go. I don't see the harm. It would be a real pity if the festival couldn't continue (in a way I'd be pleased because this will be the very first year I'm going to miss).

If you think DEAF is for pricks, vote with your feet and stay at home. If you're going to express your opionions on it, work away but no need to get personal about its organisers.

Phew.

this is another example of how good people get shit for trying to do something good in this goddamned country. this fundraiser comes as a result of cuts to arts council funding caused by our poxy government and bankers.

also it takes balls to commit to organising such a huge event as DEAF. anyone could give up their desk job and try doing something like this full-time but who'd take the risk?

this is another example of how good people get shit for trying to do something good in this goddamned country. this fundraiser comes as a result of cuts to arts council funding caused by our poxy government and bankers.

also it takes balls to commit to organising such a huge event as DEAF. anyone could give up their desk job and try doing something like this full-time but who'd take the risk?
Egg fucking zactly.

From taking a look at the ranking on this thread, Red Dog isn't alone in his anti Deaf sentiment.

thats the Irish way though right?

for the record...... I don't think this recent cut in funding should lead to Irish artists playing/working for free in the long-term. This will only justify further reductions in funding for artists

Listen guys maybe the parties just over for you chinstroking types - yous had a fair old crack of the whip now its over. Sorry about that . I actually said already that I thought the DEAF festival was cool but I'm not paying for it(apart from ticket price). Also dnb, idm ,warp records etc have all peaked . Now electronic music will have to takes its place beside all other traditional art forms because that is what it has become its self.

If you dont like reading peoples opions , then vote with your eyes and stay off the internet(swish) Ive probable entertained more people in this thread then you chinstrokers will in a life time

Ps You just got served!

The End

Swish

You really haven't got a clue what you're talking about.

If you dont like reading peoples opions , then vote with your eyes and stay off the internet(swish)
No problem reading people's opinion and I think your view that it's nonsense having fundraisers for comercial entities is perfectly valid, even though I strongly disagree with it for the reasons I gave earlier (recap: I think DEAF is about an awful lot more than making a profit). However, some of your comments quoted below are personal and nasty.
Red_Dog said:
why dont the middle class chinstroker 90s throw backs that organize Deaf get 9 to 5 jobs and stop living of their parents......We've been sitting around our spacious city centre apartments that daddy bought..........Have to go now and smoke some marlboro lights while bidding on a pair of 300 euro retro sneakers on Ebay".....They call that move the blackrock shuffle!!!
Listen guys maybe the parties just over for you chinstroking types - yous had a fair old crack of the whip now its over. Sorry about that . I actually said already that I thought the DEAF festival was cool but I'm not paying for it(apart from ticket price). Also dnb, idm ,warp records etc have all peaked . Now electronic music will have to takes its place beside all other traditional art forms because that is what it has become its self.
That's mostly ill informed. Warp records has almost certainly peaked. As for IDM & DnB, I couldn't give an informed opinion, since they're not sub genres that I'm paticurally interested in. To right off electronic music entirely is stupid nonsense. Scenes come and go and tastes change (in both electronic andc non electronic music). There's loads of top notch electronic stuff out there at the minute. While my personal taste veers more towards older stuff, theres loads of deadly deep house out this year. I've been told dubstep is pretty good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back