david kitt covers album? (1 Viewer)

stunning said:
I'd like to ask if you're to blame then, but this whole thread has become another Thumped public lynching of an independent artist that I don't really want to be a part of it. Its sad really, everyone trying to convince each other how much cooler they are than X.
bah, no it's not. i applaude david kitt for doing what he's done with his own material. he's covered some stuff that people have very close to their hearts... and done a pretty shabby job on some of it by all accounts. i simply fail to see any point in him doing what he did, from an artist's (or music lover's) point of view. thin lizzy? at least make sure you can sing in key before you cover phillo. please remember that i do not have "punters" or "making money" in mind when i write this. it's more akin to some japanese company starting to immitate travis bean guitars... you buy one, it doesn't sound the same, it falls apart, you get pissed off. i dunno, integrity seems illusive... but then again, what the fuck do i know?

I'd say he just feels he needs to get something released on his own label before his profile subsides after being dropped, and that he just didn't have a new album ready. I do feel sorry for him - he's probably really gutted.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
I'd say he just feels he needs to get something released on his own label before his profile subsides after being dropped, and that he just didn't have a new album ready. I do feel sorry for him - he's probably really gutted.
didn't that happen ages ago though? i find it hard to believe that this was his motivation.

Who knows what his motivation was/is? Who cares? If you don't like it then fine, but here here to Thomas, there is an awful tendency for people on this board to lash out at Kittser, Paddy Casey, The Frames etc. And the threads about them are always very big and tend to get quite bitchy. Clinkedy clink. They've all been successful. Get over it. (not directed at you Hag, just picking up on something you said is all. smooch)

I haven't heard the album meself, but I know for sure that the Beauiful South's new cover versions album is already the bane of my little ear. But that's coz I think they're awful in anyways.

aoifed said:
Who knows what his motivation was/is? Who cares? If you don't like it then fine, but here here to Thomas, there is an awful tendency for people on this board to lash out at Kittser, Paddy Casey, The Frames etc. And the threads about them are always very big and tend to get quite bitchy. Clinkedy clink. They've all been successful. Get over it. (not directed at you Hag, just picking up on something you said is all. smooch)

I haven't heard the album meself, but I know for sure that the Beauiful South's new cover versions album is already the bane of my little ear. But that's coz I think they're awful in anyways.
but i said i have admiration for what he's done with his own music. i'm not jealous of anyone's fame, i swear to god. i don't care what his motivation was either, i just hope i never hear his versions of teenage riot and dancing in the moonlight because i know that if i do, any time i hear the originals, i'll wince. this has happened to me before when i've heard covers of songs i dearly love and i'd just prefer not to have that happen. particularly with these songs. i might add that if beautiful south came from dublin and kittser came from where ever they come from, we might be all laughing at each other now or something.

and this thing about supporting absolutely everything without exception simply because people are making an effort... i'm sorry, but i just don't buy into it. i mean, where do you draw the line? right said fred? i really don't think people should be chastised for expressing their level of discomfort with something. sorry if this offends anyone.

hag said:
and this thing about supporting absolutely everything without exception simply because people are making an effort... i'm sorry, but i just don't buy into it. i mean, where do you draw the line? right said fred? i really don't think people should be chastised for expressing their level of discomfort with something. sorry if this offends anyone.

great, great point. theres a terrible tendancy for irish/dublin acts to always praise their own because, as hag says, theyre making an effort. But there's good effort and bad effort and the kitt covers albums seems to fall into the second category. fine, he's back on an indie again and all of that but cover version albums are an easy way out.

someone mentioned the beautiful south album (and sorry for mentioning it again) and theres also the paul weller one - both of them like kitt seem to be just shoving something out for the sake of it.

also, on another kitt point, there was an intv with him the other week in the sunday times where he said that all the people who slagged him off when he signed to warners now want to be his best mate since he has been dropped and has become allegedly "cool" again. wonder who he's refering to?

David Kitt sucks balls,Anyone who writes an entire album based around being in love with your wife needs to be beaten around the head with a blunt object,Nice to see Donal involved in the old back slapping as always.And what the fuck is with david kitts sleeve designs, can he not think of, or afford somthing new?

moore.jpg

This is more about sacred cows then anything to do with local Dublin for local people. Why shouldn't he cover Teenage Riot? Because you like it?

hag said:

Vinnie said:
This is more about sacred cows then anything to do with local Dublin for local people. Why shouldn't he cover Teenage Riot? Because you like it?
no, he should do whatever the fuck he likes. i just don't want to hear it, that's all. i would, on the other hand, be curious to hear his own work. this sacred cow thing... i'm entitled to love something and hold it precious... it's part and parcel of having a heart and stuff.

he had the covers album in the pipeline way before he got dropped by warner
the album is brilliant
really it is
i'm a big fan of sonic youth and i loved his cover
then again, it is done in the style of a david kitt song so if you don't like him you probably won't like it
the thin lizzy song is really good as is the beatles

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back