Curry (1 Viewer)

As far as I remember the last place I got it was in the health food place across from Georges St. Arcade. And I may have gotten it in one of those shops beside the 24 hour on camden st.

For anyone who aint familiar with it, that shit should be used sparingly apparently. The word foetid is in there. Fabulous flavour though.

I cheat and use pataks curry paste, mainly for lamb baltis... it's the fucking shit... and I agree with Aoife though, LOADS of onions, fry them seperate really hot for ages with... wait for it... SUGAR... caramelizes the onions and also take a bit of the BANG out of an overly spicy curry.

simmer it over a low heat for about an hour + if you're anyway serious, and again Aoife's right, always test better next day.

MondoGorrilla can vouch for my curry skills as I used to cook about three a week when I was living with him... it became less about fixing dinner and more of a hobby really...

Supposed to smell horrible before it's cooked.
It's to replace garlic in some dishes isn't it?

Pantone247 said:
I cheat and use pataks curry paste, mainly for lamb baltis... it's the fucking shit... and I agree with Aoife though, LOADS of onions, fry them seperate really hot for ages with... wait for it... SUGAR... caramelizes the onions and also take a bit of the BANG out of an overly spicy curry.

simmer it over a low heat for about an hour + if you're anyway serious, and again Aoife's right, always test better next day.

MondoGorrilla can vouch for my curry skills as I used to cook about three a week when I was living with him... it became less about fixing dinner and more of a hobby really...

That stuff is great. After a while they all start to taste the same though.

Pantone247 said:

I like the smell of your cooking.

Asafoetida... didn't know it was a garlic replacement! I'd say the sales are really high in areas with a high concentration of draculases.

i've often wondered what it is about someone that enables them to manage a vindaloo without almost keeling over like i've done in the past.

I used to think that it was down to the person being exposed to spicy food from an early age but i know people who dont fall into this category and they can handle almost anything on an indian menu.

Lefty Frizzell said:
i've often wondered what it is about someone that enables them to manage a vindaloo without almost keeling over like i've done in the past.

I used to think that it was down to the person being exposed to spicy food from an early age but i know people who dont fall into this category and they can handle almost anything on an indian menu.

Jaipur had a really amazing 'traditional' vindaloo on their menu last time I was there.
Hot but not insane - really tasty :)

Wilbert said:
Is it a rural thing? Do all welly-dancers have hot drinks with their hot food?

No. It's not unusual for me to have 2 or 3 different drinks with my food. Usually water/coke/beer or water/coke/cola cao, but never tea. That's madness. It's not a trait endemic of the "welly dancer" race.

wavioli said:
i think bombay pantry deserves an honourable mention. carry on.
I've never been, but a dude I used to work with insisted vehemently that this place was class, and he was Indian and didn't like the Indian food in Ireland, except for the Bombay Pantry, so its a good spot I guess.....

I have nothing more to add.

Carry on.

Nice recipe for a Sweet Potato Curry. Have this once a week and it’s da bomb diggy diggy yo.

Greek Yoghurt is essential and don’t store sweet potatoes in the fridge cos they’ll take forever to properly cook in the pan.

This below is a good book for curry recipes - not infallible mind, but when it's good it's very very good. Some other nice oriental-y shit in there too, though the ingredients can be hard to get (especially when you're looking for them in shops where no-one speaks English)

p.s. If you happen to be in one of them shops, and see some Mae Ploy green curry paste, you won't regret picking some up (unless you're a veggie, it has shrimp paste in it)

Attachments

• bowlfood.jpg
    bowlfood.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 62
  • maeploy.jpg
    maeploy.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 57

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back