critical mass (1 Viewer)

faganfest!

...is becoming sort of nonexistant, and it's sad, isn't it?

last friday there was such a small turnout (3 bikes and three of four walkers) that it didn't even go ahead. when you look at the past few, i shouldn't have had any expectations, but it's depressing to see it ran into the ground like this.

why has it become so low-key, and what do people think can be done to re-ignite it?

JANER said:
What is it and it's aims etc etc?

Its about a load of street punks getting together en masse on a cycle in support of the timely resurgance old school punk.

Pledge your support NOW!

here's some photos i took in london last month and never got around to posting, this seems as good a place to put them as anywhere.

nakedbikeride2.jpg

IMGP0648.jpg

IMGP0646.jpg

IMGP0647.jpg

IMGP0645.jpg

IMGP0644.jpg

nakedbikeride0012.jpg

faganfest! said:

why has it become so low-key, and what do people think can be done to re-ignite it?

flyer locked up bikes
flyer commuting cyclists in mornings/days/evenings at traffic lights
poster/flyer bike shops
email mail outs
meetings shock horror

i dont have much time to do all this these days but that'd be the way to get it going from my experience a few years back
the winter break thing is a real killer of the momentum though and always will be.

Blackenedflag said:
The black bloc?

the black bloc on the critical mass was a real killer blow as well. the idea of critical mass being a celebration of car free transport and bikes, so getting a whole load of clowns once in a blue moon masked up scared off all the random cyclists who it should really have been all about. basically the critical mass getting highjacked by politicos before it had chance to grow itself...

jimbobjones said:
the black bloc on the critical mass was a real killer blow as well. the idea of critical mass being a celebration of car free transport and bikes, so getting a whole load of clowns once in a blue moon masked up scared off all the random cyclists who it should really have been all about. basically the critical mass getting highjacked by politicos before it had chance to grow itself...

Thats what happened last one I was on.Turned into an anti war demo.....

jimbobjones said:

Oh I agree. It was more of a tongue in cheek comment.

jimbobjones said:

hmm, dunno if thats a joke but I don't recall there ever being a black bloc on critical mass. Sure there's only ever been about 4 black blocs in ireland ever.

Anyway on critical mass. It was an imported tactic that worked for a while (similar to rts in that regard) and is a bit of a laugh but it wasn't progressing at all. It served a purpose but its better to see it die or put on the shelf for a while rather than drag the arse out of it.

W. said:
hmm, dunno if thats a joke but I don't recall there ever being a black bloc on critical mass. Sure there's only ever been about 4 black blocs in ireland ever.

the critical mass on the may day summit weekend. also the same weekend as a cycling campaign conference, in which all the cycle campaigner types got freaked out about going on the critical mass. critical mass should be a broad spectrum of people of all ages young and old which it was for the first few years.
as far as a tactic that worked for awhile. cycling in the city is getting worse all the time as you know yourself Wheeler since you almost got killed by a truck awhile back, so there is a definite need for a tactic/community of cyclists coming together in the critical mass form, though maybe it is dead for the moment...
and what i said about the critical mass getting highjacked by politicos that also goes for it being highjacked by occasional politicians like the green party etc. who also showed up once or twice on it...

jimbobjones said:
and what i said about the critical mass getting highjacked by politicos that also goes for it being highjacked by occasional politicians like the green party etc. who also showed up once or twice on it...

when i first went on critical mass in dublin about 10 or so years ago many of the people who set it up then are in the green party. long before it was cool to be a cyclist in dublin.

it was the time of wearing the "one less car" banners around your neck

like a noose

it was all a bit serious then

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back