Country living... (1 Viewer)

Jane, if you're miserable you need to change something, but the countryside is a lonely place for a thumped type. I moved out of Dublin in 2005 and I haven't met a single person in the countryside who I really have anything in common with. Admittedly I haven't tried particularly hard - like I haven't gotten involved in the GAA, or started going to Mass, or ever gone to the shithole of a pub down the hill ... but I know all my neighbours and we're all very friendly to each other and all, and we get invited to their kids' 21sts and New Year's parties and the like, but still I'm basically a foreigner where I live and I expect I always will be.

If isolation is what's making you miserable now, then moving to the country is probably going to make it worse. Just sayin

Jane, if you're miserable you need to change something, but the countryside is a lonely place for a thumped type. I moved out of Dublin in 2005 and I haven't met a single person in the countryside who I really have anything in common with. Admittedly I haven't tried particularly hard - like I haven't gotten involved in the GAA, or started going to Mass, or ever gone to the shithole of a pub down the hill ... but I know all my neighbours and we're all very friendly to each other and all, and we get invited to their kids' 21sts and New Year's parties and the like, but still I'm basically a foreigner where I live and I expect I always will be.

If isolation is what's making you miserable now, then moving to the country is probably going to make it worse. Just sayin

He kind of nails it here.

Thats a good point.The isolation can be a killer.....but I dunno, if you're in Dublin everyday that will probably offset that a good amount.
Its the weekends that are hard..midweek,sure yer not up to anything anyway,you'll be glad of the space.
If you should find yourself at home on a Friday night bored,loneliness can become acute.Its horrible.But theres nothing stopping you going out is there?
I have a friend who lives rural and when he wants to bust loose he hits Dublin and books himself a B&B.Has a ball altogether.
Then he's back home to the peace he so desperately requires.Its all win.

A friend of mine moved to Donegal a while ago. He hasn't been involved in so many fights since he was in school. Those retarded and bored redneck fuckers* will fight over anything.

*The Donegal people ...not my friend

Any time I think it'd be nice to move back to the country I take a trip home and watch the slack jaws intimidating everyone as they mong about in their shitty souped up cars and generally make everyone's life miserable

A very pretty county though

In fairness, i also live in donegal and have not been involved with a fight in about 10 years. It does depend on where you go though. i'm guessing your friend is in a tiny town where you cant avoid anyone?

Jazes,I don't really go out after dark so I don't see any trouble.Although,I can hear it!

Especially when I have my headphones on and my mic gain up.

In fairness, i also live in donegal and have not been involved with a fight in about 10 years. It does depend on where you go though. i'm guessing your friend is in a tiny town where you cant avoid anyone?

Yeah. He did a Fás training course and had to fight pretty much every day...with other men in their 30s who 'didn't like his hair' or something.

Yeah. He did a Fás training course and had to fight pretty much every day...with other men in their 30s who 'didn't like his hair' or something.

Rocky 7.

Set in Donegal FAS. That'd be awesome.

It's always something I liked about the US, people let you be. Whatever your deal is, people generally just let you do your thing.

Even in Dublin, growing up, the shit you would get for wearing a fucking hat or something.

That said, I've never lived in East Bumfuck USA, so it could be just as bad as Donegal or whatever.

It's always something I liked about the US, people let you be. Whatever your deal is, people generally just let you do your thing.

Even in Dublin, growing up, the shit you would get for wearing a fucking hat or something.

That said, I've never lived in East Bumfuck USA, so it could be just as bad as Donegal or whatever.

Was that you in the hat?

Sorry about that man.

As 7 - No tomorrow says, egg has nailed it. Left the countryside (farm in my case) to go to college and haven't spent more than a consecutive week back there with about 13 years. Growing up in the countryside was definitely a nice experience, I was allowed take the bus up to Dublin/over to Cork at weekends to go record shopping/hanging out. Being all grown up, it's a different story. Main topics of conversations are the local gossip/who did what/what happened in local area, just really boring shit I never cared about (although, the local characters usually have hilarious nicknames). Very difficult to find people who are interested in something at all (be it music/films/news/whatever). Unless it's Coronation Street/Fair City, country folk watch a lot of bad TV.

I call home to hear who has died..."sure if it's not one it's the other" my mother will say, meaning 'car crash' or 'suicide'

Are you thinking of Donegal at all Jane?

I was thinking about this on my commute home. The same could be said for a foreigner in their late 30s living in Dublin minus knowing their neighbours. I don't know mine. Dublin is the most unfriendly city I've ever lived in. I say this having given it six years. I now understand why Jane was so frustrated. At first, I was all 'it's new, foreign and fun' and positive. Now it's just kinda shit.

I was thinking about this on my commute home. The same could be said for a foreigner in their late 30s living in Dublin minus knowing their neighbours. I don't know mine. Dublin is the most unfriendly city I've ever lived in. I say this having given it six years. I now understand why Jane was so frustrated. At first, I was all 'it's new foreign and fun' and positive. Now it's just kinda shit..

I've never known my neighbours, but I have known I was a 10 minute walk from friends. Which is extremely comforting. Whenever I go home and have to stay with my folks in Tallaght I might as well be on the moon.

You should try London for polite unfriendliness.

What about somewhere in County Wicklow? Enniskerry for instance, is beautiful and commutable. Although the lack of a train could be problematic.

My two sisters moved to Rush in North County Dublin, which is not the countryside, but far enough out to provide you with clean air, an agricultural community (fruit and veg) and a beach!
Also has a train to Dublin.

A lad in work lives in Kilkenny and commutes to Dublin by train everyday no bother. The train takes about one hour to get to Houston Dublin.

What about somewhere in County Wicklow? Enniskerry for instance, is beautiful and commutable. Although the lack of a train could be problematic.

My two sisters moved to Rush in North County Dublin, which is not the countryside, but far enough out to provide you with clean air, an agricultural community (fruit and veg) and a beach!
Also has a train to Dublin.

A lad in work lives in Kilkenny and commutes to Dublin by train everyday no bother. The train takes about one hour to get to Houston Dublin.

Kilkenny was further out than I would have even choose but it shows it's possible. I say out Portlaoise way mostly because I have friends that way to visit and go walking with. Or somewhere in between. What people assume I will miss, I already don't do or don't care about anymore. What I enjoy is the quiet countryside and walking. Having a dog finally. I'm currently in the weird too old for going out on the piss (been there done that) and not wanting a family, which most my age are doing. It seems I have more in common with those 45+ these days and live in the country. People whose kids are nearly grown and they have freedom again. I grew up in a small town so I know people gossip and I'd hate to live in mine now but another small town, I would in a heartbeat. I don't care if everyone knows my business. I have NONE. I'd just be happy if they knew my name, waved once in a while and notice if I suddenly go missing. ;)

Where is that American girl?
Oh, she choked to death on her dinner last week. Terrible tragedy, innit?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back