Country living... (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
Okay, I am putting some serious thought into moving down the country in 2013. Where are good places to look that would be no more than an hour or hour 1/2 via train? I might go down to a four day work week too. Train commutes I don't mind because I can zone out, read or listen to music. Even take the time to write letters. Those extra hours won't kill me by train. Car no way, but train I can handle.

Just looking and this place (including monthly commute) would only raise my budget 50 euro, ffs.
http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1285376

Tullamore is a gorgeous town.Good size...has everything you'd need...quality infrastructure and all the rest.

Decent pubs there too from what I hear.Really close to the Slieve Blooms...one of my fave walks ever..absolutely magic.

An hour on the train is quality time.No question.You can have a snooze or read a book or whatever.

I would say,just have options in regards getting up to Dublin for gigs or whatever..because you'd go off your rocker if you spend too many consecutive weekends on your tobler.

Can you drive? Country livin is grand but you need to drive unless you move right into a town, which can be grim depending on the town.

I can but I don't want a car. I'd have a bike (with basket) to get to train and else where.
So basically I would want to live no more than 2 or 3km outside a town.

Some nice spots in Wexford, and you'd have the added bonus of being beside the sea. The train journey up along the coast to Dublin is lovely and scenic.

I know needs must and all that but I the thought of moving to a housing estate in the countryside is something I hope I never have to do

'One-off' house with a field or two distance to the nearest neighbour would suit me

The car thing, I get you. I can live through the week here without moving the car but when it comes to getting the best out of living in the "country" like checking out off the beaten track stuff, forests, etc it's pretty much essential I think.

Yeah...I would'nt like to be doing it without a car.You'd miss a hell of a lot.And I'm slap bang in the middle of town.

Cormys right..Portlaoise is'ny great.Tullamore is the paris of the midlands though.

i've just moved back to dublin suburbs from north county dublin. went from a five minute drive to the shops to a one minute walk.

in our local place in NCD, i asked in the shop if they had cous cous.
'you're not in dublin city any more, love.'

North County Dublin, the hidden gem of Ireland.

He Naul is nice but yeah I agree. Surprisingly nice
Also Wicklow Is gorgeous but a pain in hole but Dublin bus does running all the way to blessington which is decent.
Also, the further you get I the midlands the more fucking insane and weirder The people get. Generally speaking

He Naul is nice but yeah I agree. Surprisingly nice
Also Wicklow Is gorgeous but a pain in hole but Dublin bus does running all the way to blessington which is decent.
Also, the further you get I the midlands the more fucking insane and weirder The people get. Generally speaking

Yeah, they'll sacrifice yo to the Old Gods, then barbecue you and eat you.

I love the midlands.Not really into the sea at all.Its grand and all but I don't see what the fuss is about.I'm more of a pool person when it comes to having an auld swim.

A commute is a horrible thing to endure every day. Bookending a workday with an hour and a half each way of biking in the rain, waiting for trains that don't come and walking (also in the rain) is a sure route to soul-sapping what-the-fuck-am-I-doing introspection and depression.

Baskets on bikes and letter-writing is a fantasy that won't happen, or will wear off toot suite.

How many people do you see writing letters on commuter trains?

How many do you see that look like they're being shipped to Sobibor but have resigned themselves to their fate cos it will be better than one more day on this fucking train?

And I actually like trains. It's just I'm usually going somewhere fun on one.

ETA
If you're going to do this, you owe it to yourself to try it out for a full week. And a week where it rains for at least two days.
See how packed the trains are, how punctual they are. See how cold the train station is in the morning while you stand there for a half-hour in horizontal midland rain.
See if there's one half-decent coffee shop in the town.
And try to imagine doing it in perpetuity.

Im thinking of making a similar move. Does anyone have experience transfering dole payments etc? Is it the same routine as moving your local office?

Im thinking of making a similar move. Does anyone have experience transfering dole payments etc? Is it the same routine as moving your local office?

speaking of which--what is this routine?--it's something I need to sort out soon

Can someone point me to a thread (if there is one)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back