Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (2 Viewers)

Interesting.

Tangent, I was reading something recently about Marx & Hegel's relationship to "authoritarianism" and how they argued for it, i.e. the mass of the people exercise their authority over the couple of rich dudes in charge by toppling them. You don't win any rights by not using your authority. Got me thinking about how calling something "authoritarian" is shorthand for "bad" in the media and this is misleading.

Lili "actually fascism is good" Marlene, eh?

How does one quantify "respect for authority" though? I don't look at Ireland's history of bowing to the church, the EU, and now US Tech companies; or at Fine Gael or Fianna Fail in the 21st century; and see a culture of rebellion against authority.

there is a lack of identification with the state/collective as a 'good' thing, or something in and of itself worthy of respect.

very few in fianna fail or FG were rebellious or radical, but many were quite happy screwing what money or advantage they could out of the system.

the church is a different thing - a transnational corporation who's integration with the culture of the country pre-dated the formation of the state (and in many instances worked against the interests of the state)

there is a lack of identification with the state/collective as a 'good' thing, or something in and of itself worthy of respect.

very few in fianna fail or FG were rebellious or radical, but many were quite happy screwing what money or advantage they could out of the system.

the church is a different thing - a transnational corporation who's integration with the culture of the country pre-dated the formation of the state (and in many instances worked against the interests of the state)
Yeah, this is what i'm trying to work out, are we still mentally part of the colony, getting one over our masters? Absolutely conditioned to think that way? I don't know if it's an Irish thing or a US hegemony thing or somewhere inbetween.

Are tech companies just a (GREAT!) replacement for the church then?

Yeah, this is what i'm trying to work out, are we still mentally part of the colony, getting one over our masters? Absolutely conditioned to think that way? I don't know if it's an Irish thing or a US hegemony thing or somewhere inbetween.

Are tech companies just a (GREAT!) replacement for the church then?

possibly - there's also the fact that even the architects of the state initially sold it as a stepping stone to the final ideal ('freedom to achieve freedom'), which was quietly and pragmatically downplayed over the years as we got more control over our affairs and solidified the republic in its current form.

the role of the catholic church as a state within a state can't be played down either

Catholic Church as Deep State, I can get behind that.

I don't know much/anything about the 'freedom to achieve freedom' stuff, I suppose I'll have to go... read. :eek:

Interesting.

Tangent, I was reading something recently about Marx & Hegel's relationship to "authoritarianism" and how they argued for it, i.e. the mass of the people exercise their authority over the couple of rich dudes in charge by toppling them. You don't win any rights by not using your authority. Got me thinking about how calling something "authoritarian" is shorthand for "bad" in the media and this is misleading.

Well in Demolition Man they have world peace because they all let Nigel Hawthorne tell them how to act, seems legit I'd say

I have authoritarian fantasies all the time.

I'd ban all plastic signs on day one. If you want a sign, you need to get it hand painted. Also you're not allowed point lights at adverts, you'd possibly be not permitted adverts at all in fact.

Then I'd put a tax on lawns, and give an income to anyone planting native trees or other plants.

There'd be some mad draconian shit regarding Dublin and cars, but I'm not sure what exactly that would be yet.

And a massive gold statue of myself overlooking O'Connoll bridge obviously.

Well, I don't want to overplay it, but i think you could call what they have between the north and south could be considered to be a hard border of sorts.

Obviously a bad look for an Irish government to be taking its lead from Westminster but if the UK goes into lockdown tonight, and NI decides (the DUP decide) that as a consequence it's ok for them to ban flights from GB (both big ifs the second one especially) we need to jump on that opportunity immediately.

Interesting.

absolutely, and not fascism but the opposite

dictatorship of the proletariat, innit

I realise I’m interrupting the corona doomscrolling here with some hott marxist terminology but hey. just wait til the leninists get here

Obviously a bad look for an Irish government to be taking its lead from Westminster but if the UK goes into lockdown tonight, and NI decides (the DUP decide) that as a consequence it's ok for them to ban flights from GB (both big ifs the second one especially) we need to jump on that opportunity immediately.

We do.

But i have zero faith in MM doing anything that annoys an airline.

Immigrants will pay to enter a lottery to allow their tears be used as part of their visa conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back