Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (1 Viewer)

If your argument is that it would make no difference if we stopped our flights because the UK was still allowing them, then aren't you just saying that we have to be fucking shit because the UK is fucking shit?
You must be referring to Leo and Arlene's cast iron grip on what boris johnston and dominic cummings do here, because the record most certainly shows that london likes to do what dublin and the rest of Europe tells it to?

I know you aren't being serious at this point, but just to spell it out like.

Well I did ask about the solution you have?
Okay, so if we're talking March and the virus hasn't arrived, and the UK isn't going to ban flights going into Northern Ireland, then just insist that all flights into Belfast and Derry are properly traced and if possible quarantined so that any outbreak can be traced right back to where it came in.
There aren't that many flights going in and out of Belfast and Derry so that actually wouldn't be overly difficult.

I think you've both not quite hit the nail on the there, but you've certainly come a lot closer than I have today. I've spent a lot of the day writing and deleting posts on that point.

I don't how this is enforceable without really pissing everyone off.

Also, everyone in the media here has decided that there is absolutely no connection between the Brexit, the Norn Iron border, the permit to enter Kent, and the Rona. All completely different things apparently. But what do I know, I'm merely an immigrant pleb.
In real terms the past 20 years have turned a large portion of the border into suburbs of each other. People are crossing over for work 7 days a week, might have elderly family on either side etc etc. People live in letterkenny and work in derry, or are at college there. I know loads of backroad crossings as do others. Pretty clear donegal, cavan and louth have been unable to control numbers for this reason - also when donegal levelled up the belfast dominic cummings brigade just moved on to sligo. Boris lost the run of the place with his herd immunity shit, and I've no idea how you'd police that border all told. There's the famous brexit stat that NI has more border crossing than the eastern side of Europe... Brexit couldn't figure it, Leo wasn't going to figure it in a panic'd fortnight.

I've a good friend in London who also has their birthday on xmas day. The've gone radio silence since the last announcement.

Its a real shitshow out here I can tell you.

All I know is I'm staying in my fucking shed til the whole thing blows over. I've had enough.

I do not give a flying fuck about christmas at this stage and no one else should either.
Just let Santy do his biz and gtfo

We can do chrimbo in style next year

In real terms the past 20 years have turned a large portion of the border into suburbs of each other. People are crossing over for work 7 days a week, might have elderly family on either side etc etc. People live in letterkenny and work in derry, or are at college there. I know loads of backroad crossings as do others. Pretty clear donegal, cavan and louth have been unable to control numbers for this reason - also when donegal levelled up the belfast dominic cummings brigade just moved on to sligo. Boris lost the run of the place with his herd immunity shit, and I've no idea how you'd police that border all told. There's the famous brexit stat that NI has more border crossing than the eastern side of Europe... Brexit couldn't figure it, Leo wasn't going to figure it in a panic'd fortnight.

I've a good friend in London who also has their birthday on xmas day. The've gone radio silence since the last announcement.

Well, you're going wayyyy back to talk about herd immunity. I mean 6000 years, or March, as we used to know it.

I don't think he's lost the run of Rona in the whole UK, I think he heeds the scientific advice, and then waits just long enough before implementing it to be able to blame someone else if it goes wrong. It's devolution baby. But at least he's stopped listening to Cummings.

Re the integration of the border regions, there's no political capital in doing anything about that for him. And if people die in the Republic, that's not his problem. If people die in NI, that's not his problem either, because no one in GB cares about NI. Sadly, since it's his job to care.

Blah, whatever, I'm shite-talking.

have been told by someone with 'a contact' that if you need any specific fruit or veg in the next few days, now is the time to buy it, "there’ll still be a supply of fruit/veg but maybe not the full variety you’d expect"

The north is dumbfuck central. but they are "our" dumbfucks. (I'm a nordie, hence the quotations.)

Last night was mental. You don't watch the news for one day and then England gets quarantined by the rest of the word.

I'm a bit worried by this now. I'm currently in Eastern Europe. I just finished my quarantine here last thursday, just as the country entered into its strictest lockdown yet. They banned UK travel last night, same as a lot of other countries. If that strain (if it actually exists) makes it to Ireland, which you'd expect is a matter of 'when' rather than 'if', I'd imagine they'll do the same here.

I don't have the same choice of flights home. I booked a few for certain days over xmas in the ryanair sale, just to give myself an option to bail. But that was based on them locking down further here. If they ban travel, I'm fucked. I'll be watching closely, and will bail suddenly if necessary, and if its possible to do so.

I'm a bit worried by this now. I'm currently in Eastern Europe. I just finished my quarantine here last thursday, just as the country entered into its strictest lockdown yet. They banned UK travel last night, same as a lot of other countries. If that strain (if it actually exists) makes it to Ireland, which you'd expect is a matter of 'when' rather than 'if', I'd imagine they'll do the same here.

I don't have the same choice of flights home. I booked a few for certain days over xmas in the ryanair sale, just to give myself an option to bail. But that was based on them locking down further here. If they ban travel, I'm fucked. I'll be watching closely, and will bail suddenly if necessary, and if its possible to do so.

I saw the stats for cases per million last night (we're still second best in Europe despite the recent increase), any idea why the situation is Lithuania is 3 times as bad as where I assume you currently are.

The north is dumbfuck central. but they are "our" dumbfucks. (I'm a nordie, hence the quotations.)

Last night was mental. You don't watch the news for one day and then England gets quarantined by the rest of the word.

It's are culture like

I saw the stats for cases per million last night (we're still second best in Europe despite the recent increase), any idea why the situation is Lithuania is 3 times as bad as where I assume you currently are.
Honestly, I don't know. I assumed it was due to disregard for lockdown rules and, possibly, proximity to Poland, where things have been shit since day 1.

Here (Latvia), things were great all summer, but went to pot around early October (just as I returned to Ireland after being out here for the previous 3 months). The first lockdown they imposed didn't work, which was understandable as it only involved weekend restrictions. This one is more of a blanket lockdown so will be more effective. Its in place until January 11th, but is up for review every 10 days.

lockdown [...]only involved weekend restrictions.
ca1f7d03c3434ad157863f196a1d3a1b.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back