Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (5 Viewers)

I suppose I oscillate daily between being annoyed by the "when we get back to normal" gang and the "you must adjust to the new normal" gang. There are often unacknowledged agendas going on in both cases.

About the recession thing - I hear more economist pricks providing dire warnings about the terrible times ahead than I hear ones minimising it's likelihood so I'm in the camp of refusing to be cowed into agreeing with things like increased austerity measures when I know that money can currently be borrowed at interest rates that are practically zero.

I have to admit that I'm part of the "Things will never be the same again" brigade. I don't have any vested interest in keeping things shut or wanting to prolong things the way they are but I can see that even if everything opens back up, things are not going to same as they were before. Peoples habits and how they interact with the world have changed considerably over the last 6 months. Like a few people have said, the genie's out of the bottle in terms of home working etc. and I can't see people stampeding to get back to the office or commuting again.

I've heard some people saying that they've actually found some unexpected benefits with remote working. I was talking to a woman in work last week who volunteers as a mediator in her spare time. She was saying that they've had to start doing mediation meetings through zoom since this started. Said she was dreading it at first but actually found it worked really well. Everyone involved is in their home environments and seems to feel more comfortable talking and generally it's not as strained. She said before the meetings were generally held in offices so that they were on neutral grounds and that before the meetings would start both parties would be in a waiting room together which just seemed to aggravate things.

We are probably on the way towards a recession but I think in some ways that it mightn't be as severe as people predict. I think the economy will adjust to the way things are now in time. That's just total speculation on my part and it may come back to bite me on the arse. But there is still money in the economy, people are just spending it in different ways than they were before.

For example, I'm just thinking of 2 conversations that I've had with people from down around the midlands over the last week or so. One guy I know is working in a clothes shop that does formal wear for men. They opened back up in June and things have been really quiet for them because no one's going to weddings or night clubs even so people aren't feeling the need to get fancy clothes. On the other hand, one of my friends works in a shed building company. He said they're fully booked up until March next year.

I've seen it with my own spending habits. I'm not buying takeaway coffees anymore or spending as much on petrol but I've been spending money on things like new running and workout gear. I've also bought more records in the last few months than I would have in the previous 3 years. I've also been making a point of buying music on bandcamp day to help support artists there where I wouldn't have had the disposable cash to do that before.

yeah, my wife and i had been discussing recently how this may have been a secret godsend for many people who were being bullied in work. not that it's a cure, but not having to physically share space with someone 'problematic' probably has more upsides than downsides.

yeah, my wife and i had been discussing recently how this may have been a secret godsend for many people who were being bullied in work. not that it's a cure, but not having to physically share space with someone 'problematic' probably has more upsides than downsides.

Yeah, I think so. It's harder to intimidate someone through a computer screen than face to face.

On a side note, one woman in my office would regularly tell us about the problems her child was having with his foreskin. Don't miss that.

I miss the random conversations, craic and banter with the work colleagues I like but it’s probably outweighed by the upside of no longer having to interact at all with the ones I don’t.

The weekend we went on Phase 3 there were 100 kids in Poppintree Park having organised GAA training. 50 or so there today.

Isn't all non-elite sports training supposed to be banned in Phase 3? I know touts out n all, but still, where do I shop them?

Couple of weeks ago the lads were talking about meeting up for a jam. Now feels like no chance of seeing the old pair at Christmas.

It's miserable at the minute. My folks are in mid ulster which is generally full of imbeciles anyway, so obviously their numbers are shit.

Neighbour told them some dumbfuck tested positive but went to the pub in Randalstown anyway. His wife had to ring the pub to tell them to shut it down.

It's miserable at the minute. My folks are in mid ulster which is generally full of imbeciles anyway, so obviously their numbers are shit.

Neighbour told them some dumbfuck tested positive but went to the pub in Randalstown anyway. His wife had to ring the pub to tell them to shut it down.

Better off just burning all of Randalstown down really

"children and young adults were found to be potentially much more important to transmitting the virus — especially within households — than previous studies have identified"

"The researchers found that 71% of infected individuals did not infect any of their contacts, while a mere 8% of infected individuals accounted for 60% of new infections."

"The researchers found that 71% of infected individuals did not infect any of their contacts, while a mere 8% of infected individuals accounted for 60% of new infections."

haven't read the article - is this because the virus is more... virulent in them, because of environmental factors where they live or work, or because they're sefish fucks who don't give a shit about anyone else and behave accordingly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back