Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (1 Viewer)

My opinion (that nobody asked for) is that if you are going high density it has to be from day one, rather than tacking on a bit of parkland to box-tick the planning stuff. The public transport should be in before a sod is turned. Amenities for days etc etc. Current irish plan is build wherever and people can drive to nice places and anyone without a car can get fucked. Clearly working out great now as joggers have no option but to jog on the backs of infants.

Yeah exactly

now it's in the care homes, what can they do? they can't move residents out. is this going to burn through the homes it's in till it runs out of things to burn?

So, can't remember where the discussion was happening, maybe the elections 2020 thread, but it was about housing and @flashback had made good points about the benefits of high density living spaces (high rise with shared social spaces instead of our 1-2 story with postage stamp garden). After recent experiences I'm strongly voting against.

That doesn't sound great :-/

I'm in an apartment, but I think we're in a different scenario than you. We have the safe version of the virus maybe.

I take the kids out for a bike ride every day, and we scoot along a stream near me, generally I try to get them nice and tired before I get them back, so they're fine with going back to the apartment. Also my place is fairly big.

Here's some photos from a day or two ago since we're doing river photos, even my self portrait (in black).

Attachments

• QNXJ4913.JPG
    QNXJ4913.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0146.JPG
    IMG_0146.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 16
My opinion (that nobody asked for) is that if you are going high density it has to be from day one, rather than tacking on a bit of parkland to box-tick the planning stuff. The public transport should be in before a sod is turned. Amenities for days etc etc. Current irish plan is build wherever and people can drive to nice places and anyone without a car can get fucked. Clearly working out great now as joggers have no option but to jog on the backs of infants.

Well... my opinion, that I'm hounded for almost constantly AND taken extremely seriously, is what's the alternative? Commuting from Carlow?

I'm never going to move back to Dublin. I grew up there and it seems to have only gotten worse since I left the country. Granted the public transport is shit, and lots of other things are shit there, but that's where people work more often than not. The current situation in Dublin (brace yourselves for my expert opinion from Rockville Maryland) is the place is a parking lot.

The jobs keep piling on in Dublin (and more will come post Brexit) and that's a good thing, but the people have to get to work (assuming we don't all telecommute). So we just keep adding people to the commute from Lucan?

You have to start somewhere. Even if there's no public transport, nothing let's say, if there's 400 people living in an apartment building in the City Center, then there's 400 people less driving cars to Dundalk. It's a start, and you keep adding to it. Find the employment hubs, build there, allowing people to walk to work.

There's a few amazing parks in Dublin, Phoenix Park... that's a world class green space. People can live around that, in high rise apartments, and there can be ad hoc shuttles along the Liffey until something is worked out. And not every single person need live there, it's just about taking the pressure of inflicting a shitty car commute on virtually everyone who works in Dublin.

what will be interesting if we do see this flight to working from home - dublin city centre will become a ghost town. all those apartment blocks will become less attractive for people who lived in the city partly for the convenience of being able to get into work easily. this could lead to the (further) suburbanisation of dublin.

I remember when decentralization was introduced. A lot of people, myself included, thought it was madness. Well now, here I am benefiting from it, and I see every day how it ha helped people all over the country.

i do remember reading that it did benefit people - one example being that the ministers sharing out the various departments and bodies did so with no thought to the sense of it. bord iascaigh mhara was placed a two hour drive from the department of the marine, IIRC - and the lads in BIM were absolutely creaming it in on mileage expenses.

So, can't remember where the discussion was happening, maybe the elections 2020 thread, but it was about housing and @flashback had made good points about the benefits of high density living spaces (high rise with shared social spaces instead of our 1-2 story with postage stamp garden). After recent experiences I'm strongly voting against.

We have been living in isolation/lockdown in a good-sized, well planned, apartment with communal living spaces (large tiled terrace, playground, patches of grass and benches) for the past 6 weeks. It is shit. The "communal living spaces" are full of people (some not even local to here) making them unusable by either blocking entrances and exits (sitting on steps for example) or running around puffing and panting on people.

In theory they are well and good, if you can use them, but there are many reasons (antisocial behaviour, vandals, weather, illness etc) that they might not be usable and then your apartment (however big and liveable) becomes a torture chamber where you get to look out the window at sunshine and fresh air while breathing what your air conditioning pumps out.

The 2 year old gets really low and weepy if we can't get outside with her, but going outside with her means having to walk on footpaths coping with idiots practically walking on her - or in most cases running so close they brush against her (most of the joggers around here deserve to get Covid 19). The 7 year old is coping a bit better (he's happy playing video games) but it's not ideal.

I would give anything for a postage stamp garden that we could go outside and sit/play in, even if it was just a square of concrete. The "communal living spaces" are full of people (some not even local to here) so in theory they are well and good, if you can use them, but there are many reasons (antisocial behaviour, vandals, weather, illness etc) that they might not be usable and then your apartment (however big and liveable) becomes a torture chamber where you get to look out the window at sunshine and fresh air while breathing what your air conditioning pumps out. Sure, the fact that our local publicly accessible green spaces are closed is exacerbating the situation, but I need "outside".
This sounds so hard... I'm so sorry.

I'm so shocked by how rude and selfish people are on the streets. If I see someone ahead I basically move out 2m even if it's onto the road... Meanwhile groups of three abreast totally ignore me? I wish the government would issue encouragement for people to walk single file!

That doesn't sound great :-/

I'm in an apartment, but I think we're in a different scenario than you. We have the safe version of the virus maybe.

I take the kids out for a bike ride every day, and we scoot along a stream near me, generally I try to get them nice and tired before I get them back, so they're fine with going back to the apartment. Also my place is fairly big.

Here's some photos from a day or two ago since we're doing river photos, even my self portrait (in black).

That looks really nice.

I'm not afraid of the virus for us, I'm pretty certain I had it back in early March, and if so my family have all been exposed and presumably developed immunity. But they could be carrying it, I could, nobody knows enough. And there are so many older people not staying at home, and those joggers etc are going home to family members who might be immune-compromised. And a LOT of the people I grew up with and went to school with are healthcare workers with families of their own, I care about them.

The rule is no unnecessary journeys and exercise within 2km of home, so we are trying to stick to that. IMMA is completely shut up which means that we can walk 1.5km to Phoenix Park and walk around in the corner of it, or walk a similar distance along St John's Road (at least less polluted these days) to the War Memorial Gardens and play dodgems with joggers and dog walkers.

Hey, I agree that moving the workforce out further and further isn't ideal, that's why I'm spending more than half my monthly take home on rent instead of splitting it between a mortgage on a house at least twice the size with a garden and commuting costs.

But sticking "This is 2 metres" signs up where the paths are clearly less than 2 metres wide isn't helpful.
One way systems would work. Instructing people to walk and jog on the right would work, always contra traffic (hardly any these days), so that you could safely jog around people if you needed to overtake. Same in parks, make them one way, most of them have circuits.

I honestly don't know how people who can't get out at all are going to come out of this. We're just annoyed and inconvenienced, but some people are genuinely trapped.

I'm so shocked by how rude and selfish people are on the streets. If I see someone ahead I basically move out 2m even if it's onto the road... Meanwhile groups of three abreast totally ignore me? I wish the government would issue encouragement for people to walk single file!

I was cycling in to get groceries last week and there a few spread out on the footpath, so I kinda tried to get into the exact middle of the road to give them space. Some lady in a car somehow managed to pass me while i'm doing this (we are in a villiage, heading towards a stop T junction) and shout a load of swearwords at me. More amazed than anything. Like I'm not sure there has ever been less traffic in anyones lifetime.

My mate is going to be let out of hospital. It was 50/50 yesterday whether to put him on a ventilator or not. He's not the healthiest guy but they told him that his relatively young age was the deciding factor. Many on his ward won't be so lucky.

Has anyone considered joining the Peter Hitchens/Spiked columnist alliance and insist that we be allowed go to the pub en masse RIGHT NOW? (@ann post come oonnnn, you must have considered "well actually"-ing this one?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back