Coronavirus: Better Call Sol - CORONAMANIA (4 Viewers)

So, can't remember where the discussion was happening, maybe the elections 2020 thread, but it was about housing and @flashback had made good points about the benefits of high density living spaces (high rise with shared social spaces instead of our 1-2 story with postage stamp garden). After recent experiences I'm strongly voting against.

We have been living in isolation/lockdown in a good-sized, well planned, apartment with communal living spaces (large tiled terrace, playground, patches of grass and benches) for the past 6 weeks. It is shit. The "communal living spaces" are full of people (some not even local to here) making them unusable by either blocking entrances and exits (sitting on steps for example) or running around puffing and panting on people.

In theory they are well and good, if you can use them, but there are many reasons (antisocial behaviour, vandals, weather, illness etc) that they might not be usable and then your apartment (however big and liveable) becomes a torture chamber where you get to look out the window at sunshine and fresh air while breathing what your air conditioning pumps out.

The 2 year old gets really low and weepy if we can't get outside with her, but going outside with her means having to walk on footpaths coping with idiots practically walking on her - or in most cases running so close they brush against her (most of the joggers around here deserve to get Covid 19). The 7 year old is coping a bit better (he's happy playing video games) but it's not ideal.

I would give anything for a postage stamp garden that we could go outside and sit/play in, even if it was just a square of concrete. The "communal living spaces" are full of people (some not even local to here) so in theory they are well and good, if you can use them, but there are many reasons (antisocial behaviour, vandals, weather, illness etc) that they might not be usable and then your apartment (however big and liveable) becomes a torture chamber where you get to look out the window at sunshine and fresh air while breathing what your air conditioning pumps out. Sure, the fact that our local publicly accessible green spaces are closed is exacerbating the situation, but I need "outside".

Sounds awful Squiggle :(

Thinking back to being a kid, we got a lot out of our slightly bigger than postage stamp garden (with the industrial estate over the wall lol) out the back of our house.

Have all the parks been closed? Seems unnecessary, was it all based on judgey social media posts going viral?

Little kids are pretty much invisible to childless adults, in my experience
Don't make me have a kid just to prove this wrong.

Little kids are pretty much invisible to childless adults, in my experience

My husband is 6'2" and broad shouldered and I'm 5'8" and she is always right beside us holding our hand... so they are passing well within 2m of pretty visible big humans.

It's got very little to do with being able to see the small person and a lot to do with thinking that jogging is somehow going to make you fucking indestructible and therefore social distancing rules don't apply to you. Maybe the endorphins fuck with their common sense.

I have been seriously considering putting weight on a line 1.5 m long and swinging it around my head while out walking.

Have all the parks been closed? Seems unnecessary, was it all based on judgey social media posts going viral?

Not all of them, but the ones still open are all at least 1.5km away, meaning at least 1.5km of walking on footpaths just to get to somewhere a bit more open. They should put jogging lanes in the middle of the roads or something.

Last edited:
Really sorry to hear that Squiggle. After the mayhem of the weekend where everyone and their goldfish descended on the mountains, people around here have almost uniformly gotten the message and are really respectful about distance, they'll step into drive ways/door ways etc., if there's no other way to give room.

I'd have no qualms taking out an umbrella, unfolding with a "it's 2metres, you pricks" message on it to push people back

I hate urban joggers, I really, really hate them. I once had a guy knock me over and then jog on the spot for a few seconds saying "Sorry I'd stop to help but I need to keep my heartrate up". I. Hate. Joggers.

Also, I feel you on the apartment living in these times, Squiggle. Its been really getting to me, and I'm lucky enough to just be in a flat with my partner, so don't have the additional challenge of trying to entertain kids indoors/avoid people with them outdoors. I can't imagine how stressful that is :(

I hate urban joggers, I really, really hate them. I once had a guy knock me over and then jog on the spot for a few seconds saying "Sorry I'd stop to help but I need to keep my heartrate up". I. Hate. Joggers.

I have to admit I laughed. what a prick...but ..wow!

They have now taken to running on cycle paths to avoid pedestrians. I get it, but they better not think they can keep doing that post-pandemic. I’ll be cycling up on top of them with a fog horn.

Joggers aren't too bad around here. They seem happy to give walkers plenty of space. Crossing the road etc..
Don't get me started on the fucking dickheads who cycle on the footpath. Especially now when the roads are almost empty! I had one ding is bell at me twice because he was cycling on the path behind me and I had headphones on.

lololol this fucking thread has turned into the journal comments section.

Fucking joggers! and cyclists! and old people! and young people! and people with kids! and people without kids!

None of them are as considerate of others as ME. Clearly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back