Confederations Cup (1 Viewer)

I was watching ESPN Classic the other day and they were showing England v Cameroon. There was several Brits talking over the action. Not entirely sure who they were....ex-players and managers anyway. They were discussing the match while it was going on, like a director's commentary. I lost count of the number of times the Cameroonians were described as being naive. Any situation. A late challenge, a mis-placed pass, not getting on the end of a cross.

I remember reading an interview with one of that Cameroon team, prior to kick off when both teams were in the tunnel Bobby Robson was trying to gee England up, saying things like "you're much better than this lot lads, you see how nervous they look?"

Eventually one of the Cameroon players piped up with "we speak English Mr Robson."

Anyway, yeah Nigeria were shit last night in spite of the result, they spent the first hour taking the piss, trying to go round the keeper at every opportunity and all that. I took a massive dislike to that Musa prick as the game went on. At least have a bit of class when you're administering your hiding.

I remember reading an interview with one of that Cameroon team, prior to kick off when both teams were in the tunnel Bobby Robson was trying to gee England up, saying things like "you're much better than this lot lads, you see how nervous they look?"

Eventually one of the Cameroon players piped up with "we speak English Mr Robson."

The majority of them played or had played in Ligue 1, anyway, so as regards "naivety" it's hardly liked they'd come direct from playing barefoot on some dirt pitch in the Cameroon. I think Big Mick was playing in Ligue 1 at the same time, wasn't he? I wonder how he fared against the likes of Oman-Biyik.

The majority of them played or had played in Ligue 1, anyway, so as regards "naivety" it's hardly liked they'd come direct from playing barefoot on some dirt pitch in the Cameroon. I think Big Mick was playing in Ligue 1 at the same time, wasn't he? I wonder how he fared against the likes of Oman-Biyik.
Tony Cascarino was there too right ?

It was just Brits being racist, they were at it non stop during the world cup when they hated the vuvuzuella, Gary Lineker was pretty much openly xenophobic about the idea of a German side winning the CL at Wembley.

Tony Cascarino was there too right ?

It was just Brits being racist, they were at it non stop during the world cup when they hated the vuvuzuella, Gary Lineker was pretty much openly xenophobic about the idea of a German side winning the CL at Wembley.

Oooh, did Cas not move there more to the mid 90s? He did about 3 or 4 seasons at the end of his career and he was still playing for us kicking the turd out of the Turks in 1997 or so.

John Byrne might've been playing there too at that time. Must've been decent wages going in Ligue 1 back then.

I'm all for love and respect and all, but xenophobic Brits are a breed that just refuse to die out. I was actually staggered when I heard Taylor say that on SSN. What a fucking dinosaur.
Carragher has joined Sky now too. In his book he moans about foreigners coming over taking jobs which meant his brother was unemployed.

As the father of a half-Polish boy (who will keep goal for Ireland someday, mark my words), I'd take up arms against a cunt like that.

Oooh, did Cas not move there more to the mid 90s? He did about 3 or 4 seasons at the end of his career and he was still playing for us kicking the turd out of the Turks in 1997 or so.

John Byrne might've been playing there too at that time. Must've been decent wages going in Ligue 1 back then.

I'm all for love and respect and all, but xenophobic Brits are a breed that just refuse to die out. I was actually staggered when I heard Taylor say that on SSN. What a fucking dinosaur.
Carragher has joined Sky now too. In his book he moans about foreigners coming over taking jobs which meant his brother was unemployed.

As the father of a half-Polish boy (who will keep goal for Ireland someday, mark my words), I'd take up arms against a cunt like that.
Yeah you're right, scored like a mad bastard for Marsielle.

When a scouser says foreign they mean Irish.

Most of them came from Ireland anyway. I think Rooney's family originated in Dun Laoghaire. I used to fantasise about him playing for Ireland, when he first broke through, but I'm delighted it never happened.

I've heard there's a bit in his book about a time when he was at school and a teacher said to him that with a name like that he must be Irish. He went home and asked his father, "Dad are we Irish?" He dad replied "how the bloody hell am I supposed to know?" So while he might be part of the diaspora he certainly wasn't a Kilbane/McGeady/David Connolly type who was British but pretty much grew up Irish.

I've heard there's a bit in his book about a time when he was at school and a teacher said to him that with a name like that he must be Irish. He went home and asked his father, "Dad are we Irish?" He dad replied "how the bloody hell am I supposed to know?" So while he might be part of the diaspora he certainly wasn't a Kilbane/McGeady/David Connolly type who was English but pretty much grew up Irish.

I probably should've mentioned (and I don't mean this to sound snobby in any way) that I believe his family were a pack of scumbags from Dun Laoghaire so I'd imagine heritage was meaningless to them.

Cas moved there post Marseilles getting relegated for match fixing and what have you, so it was 94-95 i think. he played in the 94 cup final for Chelsea?? This i could find out on Wiki right now, but i'm pretending we're sitting around a table, just chewing the fat, like dudes. Remember those days?

Anyway, wasn't Waddle in France at the time. A lot of those Cameroon lads were in France, but weren't great. They had a terrific team spirit (natural athletes) so they were greater than the sum of their parts. Back then it was just a big deal to turn out for your country ( naive, but game, lads) in the world cup. Mind you, that was Cameroon's 3rd successive world cup, and they didn't look like tossers when they beat Columbia.

Cameroon and Nigeria seem to be less than the sum of their parts now and riven by political arguments, money woes and the rest. There must be a real discrepancy between some of the lads who play in the Nigerian leagues and a dude like Musa who must be on good cheddar in Moscow. It kind of all adds up to the fact that an African team won't be winning the world cup any time soon. Sorry Pele. Nigeria in 94 and that Cameroon team were the high watermark. Now they've got lads at some of the biggest clubs in the world, they're shit.

Another thing, there's been 3 african cup tournaments since the last confed cup. It's a crying shame Zambia aren't there.

Good game, but 2 penalties that weren't penalties, and 2 offside goals. Shite officials. Goal-line technology isn't enough, just bring in a fucking video ref for goal decisions for fuck sake!

Well, keeps it funny anyway. The look on Buffon's face after that penalty was awarded against him, he must have been having flashbacks to Seoul!

Well, I'll say this: it was no over-officated, drama free 2-1 snore fest. Which is exactly what i would have needed at that time of night. Those entertaining pricks kept me up all night. Wankers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back