Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (2 Viewers)

Firefighters battled a forest fire in northwest Turkey for a second day on Wednesday, prompting mass evacuations and causing shipping to be suspended through the nearby Dardanelles Strait.

More than 100 cargo vessels were waiting to transit the strait, which was closed until further notice to allow helicopters and other aircraft to collect water to help douse the flames, the Tribeca shipping agency said.

Interior Minister Ali Yerlikaya said more than 1,200 people from nine villages had been evacuated from the path of the fire, which broke out in the province of Canakkale on Tuesday and was being fanned by high temperatures, dry air and strong winds.

It's all very late stage capitalism but besides the youtubes i sorta recommended on the tv thread I watch a fair few less interesting (kinda shit, sometimes questionable all told) ones out of habit. Chewing gum for the eyes and all that.
Anywhooo a vague survey in my head sorta kicked off this morning when i was having coffee.

New Zealand - dealing with floods (the 100 year type)
South africa - rolling electrical blackouts
New England - Floods
Canada - Wildfires
Portugal - Continual preparation and groundwork to avoid wildfires
California - Floods / Fires
England - Record Rain

Out of all of them one is outwardly connecting behavoir / lifestyle to extreme weather events. (that's the project kamp one from Portugal I really still enjoy).

The rest are a document of late stage capitalism type vibes. Came home thinking as much as I enjoy the chewing gum habit it might be a bit of a culling time for legacy subscriptions on there. Like I imagine younger people in 15 years watching these videos and going holy fuck how did they not see it and all that. It's kinda interesting because mostly they are extensions of people rather than productions per say - so you'd think reality would apply.

Anywhooo.

Like I imagine younger people in 15 years watching these videos and going holy fuck how did they not see it and all that.
Everyone (bar the few lunatics) does see it. Our civilisation's Plan A is:
  • reduce the rate of population growth
  • invest in renewable energy
  • invest in developing more energy-efficient machines
Trying to get people to consume less has failed, so far, and it's very hard to get it to work at scale in a democracy until the threat is very obvious (e.g. actual shortages)

Everyone (bar the few lunatics) does see it. Our civilisation's Plan A is:
  • reduce the rate of population growth
  • invest in renewable energy
  • invest in developing more energy-efficient machines
Trying to get people to consume less has failed, so far, and it's very hard to get it to work at scale in a democracy until the threat is very obvious (e.g. actual shortages)

In the west at least greater awareness, will on average change certain behaviors' - probably as much what people consume rather than net quantity initially,

Given our fondness for technological solutions vs. societal change I'd see two things being added to your plan a. list as the decade rolls on

1. nuclear power - probably not mega expensive traditional reactors, but the small modular reactor concept is enjoying a revival.
2. geoengineering - short of stopping burning fossil fuels tomorrow, we're a bit fucked on even an improved trajectory. The idea of using some form of approach to buy us time will probably come to the fore more and more (probably most likely aerosols in the upper atmosphere). UN and activists have pushed back on this to date, but I think this will change.

In the west at least greater awareness, will on average change certain behaviors' - probably as much what people consume rather than net quantity initially,
Recycling is really the only evidence of this that I see. I don't see that people are driving less or flying less or buying less than they were 10 years ago, do you? Maybe they're eating less meat, but I'd be surprised if the difference was substantial

Recycling is really the only evidence of this that I see. I don't see that people are driving less or flying less or buying less than they were 10 years ago, do you? Maybe they're eating less meat, but I'd be surprised if the difference was substantial

less meet
electric cars and panels
recycling
some change in purchasing habits

change in consumption rather than less consumption

and yes - flying & holidays - even among people who would be doing some of the above, seem to be an immovable object.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back