Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (6 Viewers)

Do you have imagine broadband up around where you live? We have it and it's pretty good - no city speeds like, and the VOIP landline is pretty flaky, but the internet is a zillion times faster than it was when we were going via eir (right now it's 139Mbps down, 3.89Mbps up, but it's very variable)

We are not wired so regardless of company we are limited essentially by line of sight with a mast in the city. I did some slog on trying to improve things early in lockdown and was offered the moon, only to get to mid call person saying 'eh well we can't actually guarantee any speed increase'. Essentially if two trucks go down the motorway back to back i can actually see it on a speed guage.

We're lucky enough to have line-of-sight with a mast on a nearby hill. Imagine's target market is rural users, if you haven't talked to them recently it'd be worth a phone call

I just checked into it - The imagine mast is on the same site using the same tech as the present mast (on the otherside of the motorway, probably on the same tower based on comreg website) - Anywhoo i checked in on their website and it said that they wont offer in my postcode because their bandwidth is full. Worth a try for sure though.

We are not wired so regardless of company we are limited essentially by line of sight with a mast in the city. I did some slog on trying to improve things early in lockdown and was offered the moon, only to get to mid call person saying 'eh well we can't actually guarantee any speed increase'. Essentially if two trucks go down the motorway back to back i can actually see it on a speed guage.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This shit always happens sooner than expected. Give it 2 years id say.

This whole no higher tHan a 1.5° Temp increase by 2030 is bullshit and the damage done by then will be massive.
2025 - 2030 shit will be hitting the wall at an irreversible pace

Question for Thumped's science guys. Anytime there's a big climate change story I see people wading into the fray with statements along the lines of:

Hundreds of thousands of years of cognitive evolution have not equipped us with a brain that directly perceives reality; climate reality is too big, too abstract, too terrifying. So we focus on tomorrow and comforting myths instead.

There's something quite off about this to me, although i'm struggling to pinpoint exactly what.

It seems to go from trying to explain how people think, and therefore push us towards being aware of the blindspot and get beyond it, to being something we can bring out to excuse ourselves from actually doing anything ever.

What do you think? Am I framing this correctly or is there a useful reason to keep bringing out that scientific factoid at every opportunity?

Pretty much all science is too much to comprehend on a personal level but evolution has acted on us as a species overall as well as cognitively finite individuals. On a societal level, we understand things extremely well. We have books, internet, repositories of information, social groups, etc. that allow us to transcend the limits of our skull meat. Like no one hand waves away flying to Mars because we cannot conceive of the distances involved so why’s this different?

No reason at all, except for someone to demonstrate their erudition by making nonsense soup from random bits of philosophy, evolutionary biology and psychology
I guess, that's what Twitter is for I suppose.

my brain struggles to deal with the layers of vested interests and inertia which are drastically slowing a way out; conceptually, climate change itself as a problem isn't that complicated to comprehend. the air is too soupy.

Just need to perfect class analysis and these things fix themselves

Question for Thumped's science guys. Anytime there's a big climate change story I see people wading into the fray with statements along the lines of:

Hundreds of thousands of years of cognitive evolution have not equipped us with a brain that directly perceives reality; climate reality is too big, too abstract, too terrifying. So we focus on tomorrow and comforting myths instead.

We don't directly perceive reality, I agree with that. We have a few input channels, the main one being sight, meaning we're able to sense few wavelengths of EM radiation. The rest of the channels are a bit agricultural.

But, we have a brain that is great at understanding big abstract things. Clever people are able to reason about stupid shit like quantum theory, and come up with the right answer every now and again. Every maths undergrad can reason about n dimensional space, coders think about abstract logical constructs all day.
Humans are so good at this stuff it's almost suspicious.

So, no, don't agree at all that we don't have the aptitude.

Haha I was gonna reply to this saying that one of the Canary Islands already has a system to do this using hydro power that actually works, then yer man explains that yes this already exists hahaha

what's wrong with carbon taxes (or, why substitution options are better)

I fell into a late night wormhole once reading about the one in Ballshannon. It's called KAthleen falls because before it was built there was an amazing scenic waterfall system through the town that was a kinda tourism thing. They blasted it to pieces to make it a level channel from the hydro to the sea. There were more scenic falls upstream too. within the 1km or so from the power station. Not too many houses but one or two big ones. Also one of the first cross border projects ever.

what's wrong with carbon taxes (or, why substitution options are better)

Is this not just a very, VERY, convoluted way of saying we need to invest in what we want and not trust in market magic and the nudge unit to make it happen on its own?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back