Climate change global warming natural disaster freak weather etc. (1 Viewer)

Actually on that topic

that work pc i have runs at 150w 24/7 (its old but thats the point, better software) -

Is there a way that is easy i can just make it run 8am to 11pm and shut down and start up automatically that isn't some code bullshit?

Actually on that topic

that work pc i have runs at 150w 24/7 (its old but thats the point, better software) -

Is there a way that is easy i can just make it run 8am to 11pm and shut down and start up automatically that isn't some code bullshit?
you could create a scheduled task (NOT CODE) to shut it down gracefully at 11pm then use a basic eurogiantdealz timer switch to turn the power off at 11:30pm and back on again at 8am. You might need to find and change a setting in the BIOS to have it auto start when power is detected, but that's about it.

Last edited:
Actually on that topic

any reason you need to automate this? i.e. does it need to be left on when you're not there?

anyway, you could set an inactive timeout to get it to sleep, but maybe you can trigger a sleep in the same way you can trigger it to wake up in the same way as this:

My video card runs at 120w 24/7. What's that in real money?

A little more than 1 foot warmer's worth. If you could run the heat sink into a line running to your foot warmer, you'd effectively be heating your feet up for free,

Opening up the machine and giving her a clean can save you a surprising amount of power usage it turns out.

A little more than 1 foot warmer's worth. If you could run the heat sink into a line running to your foot warmer, you'd effectively be heating your feet up for free,

Opening up the machine and giving her a clean can save you a surprising amount of power usage it turns out.
it's great for warming the room alright

it's great for warming the room alright
We used to warm up the computer labs first thing in the morning compiling ridiculous shit. Legit warmed the place up.

Once the students turned up they'd be wondering WTF, and knock it off, but then, unbeknownst to them, the students became our heaters and we were able to bask in their sweet sweet undergraduate warmth.

any reason you need to automate this? i.e. does it need to be left on when you're not there?

Reasons to automate it are

I have a range of start times about 8.45 and 11 - The communal dropbox *should* be up to date when i begin, which on a shitty rural connection means its best to boot it in advance of starting.
I forget to turn it off a lot - I leave the house and don't know if i'll emergency need it or not over the evening so i might not set foot in the room again that evening or really know if I'm done till about 9, and if don't have to set foot in that room i forget it exists. Essentially it needs to be up to date and on standby from 8.45 and to about 10, and then i want to leave an hour for any last dropbox interactions to settle down.

Ah, you're using it kinda like a server. but there may be other options for a cloud based drive which doesn't require you to leave your own system on?

Ah, you're using it kinda like a server. but there may be other options for a cloud based drive which doesn't require you to leave your own system on?

The worst internet speeds out here, during working hours are as low as 10kbps - the time spend switched on is a safety buffer against files i need to be working on actually being there so regardless of device, until the interet gets here it'd have to be on for the same amount of time.

The worst internet speeds out here, during working hours are as low as 10kbps - the time spend switched on is a safety buffer against files i need to be working on actually being there so regardless of device, until the interet gets here it'd have to be on for the same amount of time.
Do you have imagine broadband up around where you live? We have it and it's pretty good - no city speeds like, and the VOIP landline is pretty flaky, but the internet is a zillion times faster than it was when we were going via eir (right now it's 139Mbps down, 3.89Mbps up, but it's very variable)

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back