Choice Music Prize - Irish Album of the Year 2009 (1 Viewer)

Sounds like sour grapes to me

Collectively, as a nation of listeners and appreciators, we should gather these sour grapes in to a barrel (of hope) and stamp on them, dance-like, until we produce a fine vinegar which we can dip a sponge in to and pass to the lips of our Lord Jesus On The Cross, who will then sing a beautiful song filled with pain about a disheartened nation, which we will then record and release and then present to the grubby ears of the Choice music Pharisees.

I agree awards like these are a little pointless.

With Choice though I do have a bit of a problem

From their blurb;

Instead of using sales or airplay as criteria, the Choice Music Prize judges focus, simply and solely, on the music.

this implies a lot of things, but above all that more than just those well-known acts out there are considered.

But then again, maybe I can't say that without knowing what the 180 albums were. Maybe Tony Fenton does know best.

I think my point is that Choice purports to be something its not. Basically.

this implies a lot of things, but above all that more than just those well-known acts out there are considered.

I think my point is that Choice purports to be something its not.

I agree. This is the crux of the thing. I should say in all seriousness that it would be cool to see some kind of Foggy awards or something as suggested earlier as an alternative.

The problem with saying something is "well known" is really who you're talking about. I don't think many of those nominated would be well known to most. Not to my family, colleagues etc. In fact David Kitt (more deserving or not) is arguably better known than most of those and was omitted. Or maybe this particular David Kitt album was not well known? I guess.

What was my point again? I don't know. I suppose I wanted to contribute something other than snide remarks.

As Nugsy says those acts may be well known to internerds, musos, and musicians but to the vast majority of civilians who don't know them personally, most of those acts would draw a blank.

Foggy Awards abú!

As Nugsy says those acts may be well known to internerds, musos, and musicians but to the vast majority of civilians who don't know them personally, most of those acts would draw a blank.

Foggy Awards abú!
yes but do the general public know who Foggy Notions promoters are? no.
not big enough in the public domain. choice award has some serious media push behind it to reach most of the country. if Foggy had the same, it'd be much more serious. then again, awards are a load of gee.

When you don't get nominated = 'awards are gash'
When you get nominated but don't win = 'awards are okay, it's nice to be nominated'
When you win = 'awards are great; thanks for the money'

just for the record we wouldn't want to do this and would only consider it if we were publishing something, which we're not currently doing.

thumped is an excellent forum for musicians, record labels, promoters, designers, video-makers etc and it would seem more logical to present something through this infrastructure.

i know people find awards hokey and weird but they can be helpful. I'm sure Si Schroeder's nomination in the Choice was helpful to him in some way, I'm sure Adrian Crowley is delighted to be nominated again this year and no doubt Jape's win last year was a timely bonus for Richie in terms of exposure and cash, not to mention giving his family a great buzz.

in the literature world there are thousands of awards from the nobel prize and the man booker to the local short story competition and they are all essential to that industry (particularly the world of new fiction). that said, literary awards are usually judged by writers...

I remember around the time of MDRgate talking to people about Ro.
"who's MDR"
short description which included how he was robbed etc
"what's the choice prize?"

sayin'

thumped is an excellent forum for musicians, record labels, promoters, designers, video-makers etc and it would seem more logical to present something through this infrastructure.

with huge respect to Pete and many of the posters on here, I fear the outside perception of thumped is pretty warped, see Jim Carroll's endless Jimmy Cake jokes any amount of rucks on boards.ie, gigsmart, etc...

I would imagine an award ceremony run through thumped would be given a fairly hard time by folks in general.

IMRO and IRMA are now ponying up at least some of the 10,000 prize money, it would be cynical to suggest they might have a vested interest in the short list, but it totally naive to assume it hasn't affected the type of band that might be considered

Haven't IMRO and IRMA always fronted the cash for the prize?

Question: are the choice music awards known about amongst the general hmv-buying-populace? I can't recall seeing any record store style promotions piggybacking on it (sticker's on CDs, dedicated displays) that sort of thing. Has any band on thumped been nominated and had a sales surge?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back