Choice Music Prize - Irish Album of the Year 2009 (1 Viewer)

that's true but does it matter? thumped has a lot of subscribers

with huge respect to Pete and many of the posters on here, I fear the outside perception of thumped is pretty warped, see Jim Carroll's endless Jimmy Cake jokes any amount of rucks on boards.ie, gigsmart, etc...

I would imagine an award ceremony run through thumped would be given a fairly hard time by folks in general.

as the person most qualified to speak about music here, i'm going to have to resign my post
as head judge in the Thumped Awards in advance as there will be too much of a conflict of
interest in being both the judge and the ultimate winner.

Question: are the choice music awards known about amongst the general hmv-buying-populace? I can't recall seeing any record store style promotions piggybacking on it (sticker's on CDs, dedicated displays) that sort of thing. Has any band on thumped been nominated and had a sales surge?

A couple of years ago HMV on Grafton St had a dedicated stand with the shortlisted bands on it.

There should be a rule that bands with more than 2 albums released shouldn't be eligible. It'd at least give a few bob to those poorer bands a bit of a leg up and not line the pockets of those who don't really need it (Neil Hannon).

I have generally avoided making any real comment on the Choice as I was tipped to make the cut a few years ago but it didn't work out, so I'm wary of how my comments might come across.

in fairness they'd be very biased/messed up judges if they were judging music on the comments of the musician, rather then what happens when you press play on the CD.

After a bit of a sleep and hindsight, it's more apparent to me that Choice has refocused it's self a bit, where as the short list would once be on Tom Dunne's show, it is now on Tony Fenton, a more house wife's and office type of show...

IMRO and IRMA are now ponying up at least some of the 10,000 prize money, it would be cynical to suggest they might have a vested interest in the short list, but it totally naive to assume it hasn't affected the type of band that might be considered

The general jist over on Off The Record is that anyone with any reservations on the list or questions about the awards direction is posturing or chewing sour grapes, even thoughts on another award have been shot down by Big Jim, it's grim stuff... his come back to David Kitt being fairly harsh... "Ah David, c’mon. The system? Sure you’re as part of the system as I am!"

I think it's clear that there is a gap where another award could exist, and personally I'd trust Foggy Notions more then other folks to do it, sure it'll kick up the usual "why isn't so and so on the list" but that's half the fun of awards... not having a personal witch hunt on the blog of major national newspaper....

Though in 4 years time if it's sponsored by Denny Sausages, hosted by Ian Dempsy and awarding Sam Mumba for her come back album, I will reserve the right to voice my concerns!

IMRO has zero input into the shortlist selection.

it's 33 mins 20 OR six songs

I know this because at 32 minutes 35, the Groom album still qualified with 6 songs, which is great because we could still win it. I reckon that 'shortlist' is just to put the bookies off the scent.

I've already spent the money anyway on some gold teeth cap thingies and they're super.

Isn't it an acknowledged fact that the Choice prize (along with most awards of this nature) are only aimed at the journos who spew up these ideas anyway? When was the last time anyone who was interested in Music listened to the opinion of a music journalist? I think it's pretty much a given that things like the Choice prize are conceived of by journalists to make themselves and their work seem relevant. I'll be watching Teen Wolf if anyone needs me....

You'll probably fine the album was deliberately made a little bit longer so it could qualify. I can't imagine that's ever been done before...

that annoyed the shit out of me before. altering album length's for money reasons.
Kate Bush's 2005 album 'Aerial' was double disc. running time of 80mins and 4 seconds. that's 4 seconds over the maximum capacity of a CD. at the time i reckoned EMI did it on purpose so they could charge more for 2 CDs rather than make less profit with just filling up 1CD.

actually, that Beatles 2CD RED album is less than 80mins too now that i think of it.

wankers

as has been mentioned before in the thread - Altar of Plagues should have been nominated. They have had an unbelievable year and produced a fantastic album.

Definitely agree with this. Their album propably gained more recognition internationally than all of the Choice nominees put together and they are now signed to highly respected labels in both the US and Europe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back