Choice Music Prize - Irish Album of the Year 2009 (3 Viewers)

in one respect the award concept is silly (this work is better than that work according to ten random people etc) but on a practical level it can generate/revive interest in an album/artist.

2009 was a really good year for Irish artists, particularly underground artists being creative and working with small budgets. it was a very positive aspect of a fairly depressing year for this country. it would be nice to celebrate that fact and give those records that extra bit of attention.

Absolutely but I don't expect Choice to reflect that. I've a bunch of records I've bought and gigs I've been to that do.
Like I said Altar Of Plagues and Boxcutter have made a really big impact outside of Ireland this year (and previous years for Boxcutter) but I joke when I say Choice should reflect this. It's niche in Irish music terms but hugely influential for future generations of Irish musicians and that sort of influence is best left underground even though the artist might disagree. That's always been the case and it's a good thing that it's not in the Choice spotlight.
P Kelleher and gang are doing great things here too but again it's probably better that it's not bumped up a level yet.
It's all good but I do feel for Kittser cos it's his best album so far (for me anyway).

Oh good I'm glad I tackled this thread and read it nice and early. Hate trawling through pages.

I'd rather eat shit than listen to all these records, but I hope Valerie Francis wins! Or Julie Feeney! Or Adrian Crowley! But what happened to you know, GOOD BANDS?

Me too. Well, I don't hate AC.

It's funny when influential and powerful (relatively) media figures dismiss bands that nobody has ever heard of for that very fact, when they themselves have the opportunity to make whatever band they choose heard by people. People like Scutter, in his car.

thats kind of exactly the point.

though from someone who, by implication, thinks the only albums worthy of nomination are those that lots of people have heard of, its unlikely.

some of whom have not heard 10% of the albums released in a given year

This is the key point really.
Judges should be signed up a year in advance to realistically do this correctly, not get given a list of 180 albums and asked at short notice to decide who their favourites are.
I know if i was given a long list of stuff to decide on I would probably look for the names of bands I knew, not the ones I havent heard about.

Judges should be signed up a year in advance to realistically do this correctly, not get given a list of 180 albums and asked at short notice to decide who their favourites are.
I know if i was given a long list of stuff to decide on I would probably look for the names of bands I knew, not the ones I havent heard about.

my interpretation of Jim Carroll's response to David Kitt on his blog there is that there were only 180 albums in 2009.

After a bit of a sleep and hindsight, it's more apparent to me that Choice has refocused it's self a bit, where as the short list would once be on Tom Dunne's show, it is now on Tony Fenton, a more house wife's and office type of show...

IMRO and IRMA are now ponying up at least some of the 10,000 prize money, it would be cynical to suggest they might have a vested interest in the short list, but it totally naive to assume it hasn't affected the type of band that might be considered

The general jist over on Off The Record is that anyone with any reservations on the list or questions about the awards direction is posturing or chewing sour grapes, even thoughts on another award have been shot down by Big Jim, it's grim stuff... his come back to David Kitt being fairly harsh... "Ah David, c’mon. The system? Sure you’re as part of the system as I am!"

I think it's clear that there is a gap where another award could exist, and personally I'd trust Foggy Notions more then other folks to do it, sure it'll kick up the usual "why isn't so and so on the list" but that's half the fun of awards... not having a personal witch hunt on the blog of major national newspaper....

Though in 4 years time if it's sponsored by Denny Sausages, hosted by Ian Dempsy and awarding Sam Mumba for her come back album, I will reserve the right to voice my concerns!

I have generally avoided making any real comment on the Choice as I was tipped to make the cut a few years ago but it didn't work out, so I'm wary of how my comments might come across. (Incidentally, while I was disappointed at the time I didn't feel hard done by.)

With the Mercury prize bands have to actually apply by sending about £200 (cue people complaining about the fee) and ten copies of their album. That way the judges get a copy of every album up for consideration and get to hear them all before making their mind up. It avoids the problem whereby good albums get overlooked simply because the judges haven't heard them. If I were to change one thing about the Choice award this would be it. That way if someone isn't nominated it is because either (a) they weren't interested in being considered, or (b) the judges heard the album but didn't like it enough.

I think the Choice award gets a lot of undeserved stick. To me it is amazing that albums which may have only sold a hundred or so copies are nominated for a national award alongside people from the world of showbusiness. While plenty of good albums have been left out over the years I reckon the thing is about as open and fair as awards are ever going to be.

By the way, after the Herring and the Brine was left out of the list I sold loads of albums and got offered enough gigs to keep me going for over a year, so hopefully the same will happen for Patrick Kelleher, Twinkranes and others who made good albums but who, for whatever reason, didn't get on the shortlist.

I have generally avoided making any real comment on the Choice as I was tipped to make the cut a few years ago but it didn't work out, so I'm wary of how my comments might come across. (Incidentally, while I was disappointed at the time I didn't feel hard done by.)

Accusations of sour grapes is the easiest and laziest way to avoid real discussion. It drives me mental when people indulge in this

music awards are all stupid anyways, how can you say an album is "the best" when everyone has different tastes?

I really like Patrick Kelleher's album

To my shame, I hadn't listened to it before and only listened to it today because it didn't make the cut and people were giving out.

I don't know if this proves anything. But yay to good music. Hayes & Cahill also great.

Nice edit, Snaky. I'm doing the same thing. I've no argument with Choice and its journos picks. Each to their own. Usually the records that have got the most mainstream press will get in and that seems to be the way again. Getting more mainstream? Sure the Divine Comedy won in 2007!

I might head in to Road and buy a rake or Irish records.
Mental, huh?

Also, an awards type thing voted for by musicians/producers/roadies/venue bookers etc. would be v interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back