Charlie Hebdo attack (3 Viewers)

Arguing on the internet is a pointless exercise. I made myself late for a movie and I had all these arguments going around in my head on the way in. Nothing achieved.

I want to internet apologise to everyone whose time I wasted and anyone I annoyed.

I am retiring, undefeated (joke!) from internet arguments. Going forward I will only be a channel for peace and good vibes.

Arguing on the internet is a pointless exercise. I made myself late for a movie and I had all these arguments going around in my head on the way in. Nothing achieved.

I want to internet apologise to everyone whose time I wasted and anyone I annoyed.

I am retiring, undefeated (joke!) from internet arguments. Going forward I will only be a channel for peace and good vibes.

Jesus, no need dude. I totally sympathise and I find myself arguing in my head with people all the time based on things like this. It stresses me out. Sometimes I wonder if it is a pointless exercise or not. It does sometimes help me clarify what I think about things but I'm not sure if its worth it. I'd like to think that arguing with people here is a lot more constructive than on fb though.

Jesus, no need dude. I totally sympathise and I find myself arguing in my head with people all the time based on things like this. It stresses me out. Sometimes I wonder if it is a pointless exercise or not. It does sometimes help me clarify what I think about things but I'm not sure if its worth it. I'd like to think that arguing with people here is a lot more constructive than on fb though.

I just had this day on Saturday with a friend and it was just hanging and laughing and talking about everything.
And then later with a large group of friends where we all hung out and just made each other laugh.
It was a really great day.
I was just thinking shouldn't I be doing that a lot more than banging away on a keyboard making no one's day better.
I mean I already know this instinctively, but I still allow whatever part of me to engage in these things.
Basically if it can't be sorted in two or three posts, it rarely gets done in 20 or 30. For me anyway.

I've even done it on FB. Arguing with people on the Irish Times comment section. Or worse, contradicting someone on their own wall about their politics.
No one needs it. The internet can sort these things out without me. I'll continue to change the world in the tiny ways that I already do.
Because I'm so damn noble.

Date stamp says Friday

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

His twitter feed is that of a stereotypical out of touch, angry white guy.
It's worrying that he owns everything.

I'm glad Tony Blair broke up his marriage.

Apologies for arriving late to the conversation and further apologies for the tirade that follows.

Asghar Bukhari is, quite frankly, full of shit. His article ends bemoaning a polarised world yet he himself supports holocaust deniers while his organisation has been listed as 'fascist/racist' by the NUS in Britain (sharing company with, among others, the BNP, National Front and Combat 18). A polarised world indeed.
He asks that we "put down the guns and talk" yet when talking he tells Muslims that "The fate of Bosnian Muslims... butchered in their homes... is going to be your fate" and further urges supporters of Israel to kill themselves. If this is the sort of rhetoric a supposed 'moderate' is coming out with is it any surprise that people are reaching for guns?
To the article itself, it begins "Most white people don't like to admit it but these cartoons upheld their prejudice, their racism...". So, right from the off the narrative is that white people are racist. This guy wants to end polarisation?
Now to his idea that we (we being The West of course) are at war with Islam- Were we at war when we drove the Serbs out of Kosovo to protect the Muslim population there? Are we at war when we arm 'moderate rebels' in Syria and Iraq? Are we at war when Muslims here are free to practise their religion and continue traditions that we wouldn't accept of ourselves? Cause if we are we're not doing the whole war thing very well. Any war being fought is fought for geopolitical ends, not against Islam and, if he wants to get excited about war, he should look into the war being fought by Islamic extremists against moderate Muslims, a war far more serious and deadly than The West's alleged 'War on Islam'.
The other main thrust of his his argument seems to be that our governments are hypocrites-This is hardly news to most of us.

This rush by people to explain away these murders as a consequence of being racist in a racist society is completely unacceptable and yes, grossly offensive to those who died and their families (as incidentally was the posting of pictures of the cop, begging for his life and seconds from being executed. The papers claimed they wouldn't publish pictures of Muhammad lest they offend anyone yet had no problem sticking that picture on their front pages?) In spite of this I really doubt we'll see any calls for Bukhari and his ilk to be executed and, in the unlikely event that there is an attack on him I don't think we'll see a rush to explain it as a consequence of his actions.

On a lighter note and with regard to English people mangling their own language, my personal favourite was some guy railing against immigrants adapting the language to themselves- "It's are language". Indeed.

@Theodore Kaczynski did you read the New Yorker piece I posted a few posts back? What do you think of it?

I haven't and on the basis of how long its taken me to reply thus far you'll have to give me till Friday!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back